Author Topic: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package  (Read 128122 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Bought a Jetta TDI W/Nav package
« Reply #160 on: December 25, 2011, 04:48:59 AM »
Here she is, not a Silverdammit but damn nice.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #161 on: December 25, 2011, 07:05:54 AM »
That's a weird antenna.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #162 on: December 25, 2011, 07:40:38 AM »
Imagine how good it would look without the front plate......... ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline BackInTheSaddle

« Reply #163 on: December 25, 2011, 08:44:35 AM »
You can sure tell that it's the "off season" for sport touring motorcycle riders when there are over 160 replies about a diesel station wagon.  Enjoy the new ride!
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline Conrad

« Reply #164 on: December 26, 2011, 05:03:23 AM »
Imagine how good it would look without the front plate......... ;D

:'(

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #165 on: December 26, 2011, 05:04:41 AM »
You can sure tell that it's the "off season" for sport touring motorcycle riders when there are over 160 replies about a diesel station wagon.  Enjoy the new ride!

Sad but true.

But remember, it's a Sportwagen.    ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #166 on: December 26, 2011, 05:06:00 AM »
That's a weird antenna.

It doesn't get very good reception either for some reason.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #167 on: December 26, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
While in court (not as a spectator) some years back, one of the cases before mine was a guy that owned a Corvette who got a ticket for no front plate.  He pleaded his case before the judge with the reasoning that the plate made it look ugly.  The judge started speaking to no one in particular about the state (VA) having to have two plates and that it would be less expensive to have just one.  He also agreed that it spoiled the looks of the car.  He dismissed the case but told the owner to get a front plate as it was the law of the land.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2011, 06:37:20 AM »
I've been doing some driving in the Jetta, took the grandson to the Chicago Field Museum yesterday. The more I drive that car the more I like it and I flat out love the DSG! I have it set for 'sport' and it's almost like driving a 6 speed manual only I don't have to worry about the clutch. More than once I've found myself about to lift my left foot to press in the clutch as I'm slowing or stopping. I love the way that DSG downshifts on it's own and uses engine braking to slow down. That tranny is VERY smart and always seems to know what gear I'm wanting next. Smooth as butta too!   

45 mpg on the way into Chicago yesterday.    ;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #169 on: January 02, 2012, 11:44:26 AM »
I've been doing some driving in the Jetta, took the grandson to the Chicago Field Museum yesterday. The more I drive that car the more I like it and I flat out love the DSG! I have it set for 'sport' and it's almost like driving a 6 speed manual only I don't have to worry about the clutch. More than once I've found myself about to lift my left foot to press in the clutch as I'm slowing or stopping. I love the way that DSG downshifts on it's own and uses engine braking to slow down. That tranny is VERY smart and always seems to know what gear I'm wanting next. Smooth as butta too!   

45 mpg on the way into Chicago yesterday.    ;D
Same here, well, in sport mode when mama aint on board.  The tranny really is nice and it compliments the TDI really well.  I can't help but wonder how it would be in my 65 Mustang.  It does take a little getting used to when coming to a stop, as you appraoch a complete stop it does the last shift to first it tends to stop quite quickly, not as smoothe as I like, once accustomed to this little quirk it's great.  While it isn't rape me fast it's plenty sporty and knowing it'll cruise at 45 mpg it is as frugal as any connie owner could ever ask for and unlike the connie, it comes with cruise and heated seats from the factory ;D

Offline Conrad

« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
Same here, well, in sport mode when mama aint on board.  The tranny really is nice and it compliments the TDI really well.  I can't help but wonder how it would be in my 65 Mustang. It does take a little getting used to when coming to a stop, as you appraoch a complete stop it does the last shift to first it tends to stop quite quickly, not as smoothe as I like, once accustomed to this little quirk it's great.   While it isn't rape me fast it's plenty sporty and knowing it'll cruise at 45 mpg it is as frugal as any connie owner could ever ask for and unlike the connie, it comes with cruise and heated seats from the factory ;D

You're right, it does take some getting used to. Just gotta let off the brake a bit at the last downshift otherwise it's a bit abrupt.

Nope, she ain't fast but she likes going round curves.  ;D   For a 2.0 it hauls ass and pulls you outta the hole pretty nicely. I don't quite have 1,000 miles on it yet so I'm still babying it.

Also unlike the Connie, there's no issue with heat.       :stirpot:

Offline capt chaos

Re: Looking at a Passat TDI
« Reply #171 on: January 02, 2012, 12:48:09 PM »
I'm in the automobile towing business and can tell you, that all German cars have many electrical/electronic issues.
For that reason, my wife wasn't allowed ;) to buy VW Jetta Wagon TDI and had to settle for Honda CR-V.....FYI

Assembled in US of A http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Honda_assembly_plants to get around import restrictions.

UK CR-V's are assembled in Swindon for same reason  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group#Suzuki_Motor_Corporation to keep OT I believe Suzuki & VW have "fallen out".

I didn't know that VW Group had aquired Ital Design via Audi / Lamborghini...Much like when Ford aquired Ghia.
2010 GTR1400 Magnesium

Son of Pappy

« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2012, 08:19:31 AM »
Vince, that you?

Chet

Assembled in US of A http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Honda_assembly_plants to get around import restrictions.

UK CR-V's are assembled in Swindon for same reason  :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group#Suzuki_Motor_Corporation to keep OT I believe Suzuki & VW have "fallen out".

I didn't know that VW Group had aquired Ital Design via Audi / Lamborghini...Much like when Ford aquired Ghia.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2012, 09:23:39 AM »
Hey Chet,

Does your owner's manual talk about the glowplugs at all? I, like you, have the keyless ignition system and nowhere in the JSW manual does it talk about how to start a diesel properly.

In talking about the car without the keyless system the manual mentions the glowplug light and that you should turn the key on to the first position to preheat the glowplugs but that's it! It doesn't say to wait till the light goes out and then start the car at all. With the keyless system it doesn't even say that much. If you follow the manual on starting the car with the keyless system, no matter how cold it is, you just hop in, press the foot brake and then the start button and away you go. I asked my salesman about waiting for the glowplug light to go out and he said, 'huh'?   

What I do is to press the start button, without pressing on the foot brake, to turn on the ignition. Then I wait for the glowplug light to go out. Then I press the foot brake and the start button.

How would a person with no diesel experience know how to do this the right way?     :o

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2012, 10:28:14 AM »
The way it was explained to me is that newer diesels have glow plugs that heat up very quickly.  Within a couple seconds they are ready to go.  Long gone are the days of waiting 15-30 seconds for the light to go out.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2012, 10:45:45 AM »
Conrad, I asked also, she said to hop in, brake and start.  I do the same as you, I get in, hit the button, strap on the seatbelt, brake and start.  I havent had any hesitation to start, even on the trip to the East side of the state, upper teens and she started like she was in Florida.  Did a fill up today, 560 miles, took 13.42 gallons.  41.7 mpg, all kinds of differant driving conditions.  Not too shaby.  A bummer?  After getting the fill up I did the car wash thingy, got home to dry her up and when I got to the front I found a busted fog light lens, I'm gonna need to get some kind of protection on them, anyone have any suggestions?  I imagine the lens aint gonna be cheap and I really dont want to be replacing them every 2500 miles.

Excavator

« Reply #176 on: January 03, 2012, 10:55:51 AM »
The way it was explained to me is that newer diesels have glow plugs that heat up very quickly.  Within a couple seconds they are ready to go.  Long gone are the days of waiting 15-30 seconds for the light to go out.

This is what I hear also. My Duramax glow plugs actually come on periodically for a split second when the truck is unattended and the temparature is below a certain degree, I'm not sure if all diesels have this system now.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #177 on: January 03, 2012, 12:00:29 PM »

It was 20 in my garage this morn and the glowplug light took maybe 4 or 5 seconds to go out. Nothing lilke my '03 Duramax that's for sure!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #178 on: January 03, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »
Conrad, I asked also, she said to hop in, brake and start.  I do the same as you, I get in, hit the button, strap on the seatbelt, brake and start.  I havent had any hesitation to start, even on the trip to the East side of the state, upper teens and she started like she was in Florida.  Did a fill up today, 560 miles, took 13.42 gallons.  41.7 mpg, all kinds of differant driving conditions.  Not too shaby.  A bummer?  After getting the fill up I did the car wash thingy, got home to dry her up and when I got to the front I found a busted fog light lens, I'm gonna need to get some kind of protection on them, anyone have any suggestions?  I imagine the lens aint gonna be cheap and I really dont want to be replacing them every 2500 miles.

Sorry about your fog light lens, did you price it yet?

I took my first long trip with the Jetta on Sunday. Drove down to southern Illinois and back. 45 mpg down and 37 on the way back. The wind started up on the way back and we were driving right into it. I was sweating it a bit on the way back. I missed the exit for diesel and I wanted to wait for the next one. My range read ZERO as the nav system told me that my exit was coming up. I pumped 13.9 gals into the 14.5 gal tank.  :o

Speaking of diesel. In reading at the TDI forums they all recommend staying away from biodiesel in concentrations any higher than 5%. They make it sound like it's hard to find non bio around. I had no problems.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #179 on: January 03, 2012, 12:25:46 PM »
Chet,

Has your Jetta used any oil at all? The manual says that it might use a bit during the break-in process. The problem is that no one around here has the VW spec 507.00 oil in stock. I wanted to have a lil on hand just in case I need to top her off before the 10,000 mile oil change.

Also in the manual it says that the factory filled coolant is at least 40% antifreeze (VW G12 plus plus) good down to only -13F. Minus 13F?  :o That's crazy, it can easily get that cold around here!

I ordered a liter of the VW spec 507.00 oil and 1.5 liter of the purple G12 plus plus from this place. http://www.idparts.com/catalog/

I'm gonna drain a bit of the factory coolant and replace it with undiluted G12++