Author Topic: Brake Rotor Replacement  (Read 1586 times)

Offline chap

Brake Rotor Replacement
« on: May 10, 2018, 11:21:48 AM »
I am replacing my Front Brake Rotors and Pads in the next few weeks. I am installing the EBC Vee Black Rotors. Wondering if I should replace the hardware at the same time M8x30 bolts and gaskets. Or do you reuse the old bolts. Is the Loctite tough to release, or do they come out fairly easily. Just want to make sure I have the needed parts on hand. Also which Loctite do you use on installation.

Thanks
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
Re: Brake Rotor Replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 02:03:47 PM »
I haven't replaced the rotors so I cannot offer any nuggets of info on them.  There are other posts in this forum that cover rotor replacement, make sure you search them out.

I can suggest that if you want to replace the fasteners then you probably should.  They may be perfectly fine and will accept many cycles of torque for years to come - and there's lots of people out there that would agree with that based upon their experience.  However, on a critical component such as brake rotors I would err on the extreme side and just replace the fasteners.  That's my 2 cents.

Let others chime in as I am certain that they will.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 03:20:32 PM »
I believe Mother Kawi wants you to replace them . I remove one rotor at tire change and do not but that is me.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 03:23:16 PM »
That orange thread locker Kawasaki use is only one step away from a welding rod; those screws will be tough to remove, and for most of the way out too. I would suggest using a good, sharp bit (not worn or rounded) and make sure it goes all the way into the hex in the screwhead so it does not strip.

That thread locker is applied and allowed to completely dry before the fasteners are installed, so you really cannot use 'more' of the same stuff. Kawasaki suggests using new fasteners each time they are removed so that you have new thread locker. That said, I am sure mid- strength Loctite will work fine.

Personally, I have always just reused the fasteners without any type of thread locker. Torqued down properly, they will not loosen IME, and as there is really no wear 'n tear on those screws, they can be used basically forever. And the second time you remove them, it will not be so much of a struggle, and there will be little or no risk of stripping out the screwheads.

Brian

I am replacing my Front Brake Rotors and Pads in the next few weeks. I am installing the EBC Vee Black Rotors. Wondering if I should replace the hardware at the same time M8x30 bolts and gaskets. Or do you reuse the old bolts. Is the Loctite tough to release, or do they come out fairly easily. Just want to make sure I have the needed parts on hand. Also which Loctite do you use on installation.

Thanks
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Freddy

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 06:18:01 PM »
I am replacing my Front Brake Rotors and Pads in the next few weeks. I am installing the EBC Vee Black Rotors. Wondering if I should replace the hardware at the same time M8x30 bolts and gaskets. snip>
Thanks

I think you will find that they have no recess like the OEM to accommodate the gasket.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline chap

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 08:19:54 AM »
Thank You everyone for the great info. I will order the bolts to have on hand incase I need them
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline wb57

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 11:57:28 AM »
Did mine with zero trouble a few years ago.  Can't remember if I used blue or red Loctite with the original hardware when reinstalling.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09
Turning paychecks into spent fossil fuels.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 10:03:29 AM »
Did mine with zero trouble a few years ago.  Can't remember if I used blue or red Loctite with the original hardware when reinstalling.

Don't use RED Loctite or you will never get these bolts out again.  The Service Manual has the "L" comment which means to use non-permanent thread locker on these bolts.  For most of us that means BLUE Loctite or comparable brand.  Don't be confused, as already noted, by the red stuff that Kawasaki uses on the OEM bolts.  That is something special that I've never seen offered to us little people.  But it's NOT similar to red loctite which is nearly permanent thread locker.

I've found that a 1/4" electric impact driver with a good quality (and UNDAMAGED) hex bit will loosen these up nicely.  If you are using a manual wrench, I've found it helps to give the bolts a quick "snap" as you loosen them rather than gently increasing pressure.  That seems to break the OEM thread locker loose.  Gently increasing the pressure seems to stress the bolt itself and increases the opportunity to strip out the heads.