Author Topic: "Transponder missing" error  (Read 19203 times)

Offline PlaynInPeoria

Re: "Transponder missing" error
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 01:02:29 PM »
I have a radar detector mounted just ahead of the glovebox, maybe that's it.  It's stopped doing it now that I don't put the fob in the glove box.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 02:13:30 PM »
I put the fob in my pocket and use the stove knob  :yikes: to open my gas tank.  Funny, it hasn't bent on me or anything.  I have no idea why others have problems using the keys as designed.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 02:23:36 PM »
Sure, you say that now but wait until you use the key to carve your name into a Sequoia or pry a boulder out of the ground or something and I betcha' you change your mind.

I really don't know how the legend got started but sure enough, there are people who are afraid to remove the stove knob key from the bike. ??? I use that key exclusively everywhere on my bike and have not managed to bend it yet although the teeth are worn now after six years and 90K miles.

Brian

I put the fob in my pocket and use the stove knob  :yikes: to open my gas tank.  Funny, it hasn't bent on me or anything.  I have no idea why others have problems using the keys as designed.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 02:46:13 PM »
Sure, you say that now but wait until you use the key to carve your name into a Sequoia or pry a boulder out of the ground or something and I betcha' you change your mind.

I was thinking of using it to pry the tops off of beer bottles. :chugbeer:

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »
By using a hammer against the key, right?

;D

Brian

I was thinking of using it to pry the tops off of beer bottles. :chugbeer:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 03:10:40 PM »

I really don't know how the legend got started but sure enough, there are people who are afraid to remove the stove knob key from the bike. ??? I use that key exclusively everywhere on my bike and have not managed to bend it yet although the teeth are worn now after six years and 90K miles.

Brian

The stove knob is removable?  :o

Who knew?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 03:21:12 PM »
I really don't know how the legend got started but sure enough, there are people who are afraid to remove the stove knob key from the bike. ???
Brian

Possibly me...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 05:02:26 PM »
I put the fob in my pocket and use the stove knob  :yikes: to open my gas tank.

And that is exactly how it is designed to be used.

Funny, it hasn't bent on me or anything.  I have no idea why others have problems using the keys as designed.

Because the lock and the mechanism corrodes.  Mine is horribly corroded and hard to turn and it isn't very old and I take good care of it.  I FINALLY bought a can of graphite spray and sprayed it in the lock and mechanism on the bottom.  OMG what a difference!  I bought it because I could barely open my front door- it is better than new now!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 05:20:42 PM »
Wait, wait.... let me see if I've got this: KiPass is SO BAD that it caused your front door to corrode and you had to lubricate your house? Amazing. Damn that KiPass- Damn it all to hell!

Should I start working on a front door bypass kit? How much would you pay for one? I have an idea already but you will probably think it looks like a regular, conventional axe but I assure you, it is a custom designed, task specific front door bypass kit. Shipping is not going to be included in the price though....

:D

Brian

And that is exactly how it is designed to be used.

Because the lock and the mechanism corrodes.  Mine is horribly corroded and hard to turn and it isn't very old and I take good care of it.  I FINALLY bought a can of graphite spray and sprayed it in the lock and mechanism on the bottom.  OMG what a difference!  I bought it because I could barely open my front door- it is better than new now!

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 06:51:27 PM »
Hmmmm... safe in Peoria :o... Me thinks not

Home > Crime Statistics > Illinois > Peoria

http://www.cityrating.com/crime-statistics/illinois/peoria.html#.UZwVc8okTug

The city violent crime rate for Peoria in 2010 was higher than the national violent crime rate average by 89.88% and the city property crime rate in Peoria was higher than the national property crime rate average by 53.2%.

In 2010 the city violent crime rate in Peoria was higher than the violent crime rate in Illinois by 76.12% and the city property crime rate in Peoria was higher than the property crime rate in Illinois by 68.11%.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »
I live in Washington, a small town 10 miles away. Peoria has high stats and high crime areas, but it's 95% one bad part of town (the southwest side, where Richard Pryor was raised, down by the projects if you must know).   The rest of it is pretty decent.  And I have been around. I have been in this area for 9 years.  Never had a crime done to me, seen a crime or heard about anyone I know suffering from any sort of crime. 

I have been acting this way my whole life, I got it from my dad, who always took his keys out of the ignition and dropped them on the floor and walked away with the car unlocked.  Bear in mind, I don't do this everywhere.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 10:20:27 PM »
Note to self....
There are "free" Concours in the proximity of Peoria.
Honey, hookup the trailer!  :-X

Might need gas cause he can't get the knob out of the hole.
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 05:59:00 AM »
Note to self....
There are "free" Concours in the proximity of Peoria.
Honey, hookup the trailer!  :-X

Might need gas cause he can't get the knob out of the hole.

Of course if someone wants your concours they just hop on while you are in the gas station with the bike in first gear, the clutch pulled in the stovepipe pushed down.  As soon as you walk close enough they start it and are gone.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 07:08:58 AM »
PIP

Crime seems to be concentrated in many cities that skew the over all statistics for an area. I agree that one should not be preoccupied with preventing crime 100% of the time but incorporating "safety measures" to minimize the chance that some derelict will commit a crime, property or otherwise is a reasonable life style modification. In Columbus, Ohio my wife and I went out to celebrate our anniversary, came home house burglarized; went out to dinner another time, came out to drive home..car stolen. And we were not even in a high crime area. Car locked and parked on street in front of restaurant; house locked, inside and outside lights on, dogs in yard. I agree if someone wants something they will take it. Since things seem to happen in 3's I am now waiting to see if I get mugged. Concealed carry anyone?
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 11:06:28 AM »

Concealed carry anyone?
Sure, but not in Peoria.  >:(

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 03:37:12 PM »
Not sure how CC would have helped him, both crimes occurred out of his presence. Unless you're talking about the 'deterrence in general' effect.

TJPGI:  Sounds like preventative measures did you no good. Other than causing additional damage to get into places they were going regardless.  Who knows? Burglarized AND a car stolen?  That's bad luck right there.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 05:40:25 PM »
That has always been a gigantic fear of mine- I would be walking up to my bike, fail to notice the person sitting on it pressing down on the key, and they would do exactly as you say once I was w/in 5 feet or so of my bike! So what I do is to stealthily sneak up to my bike, hiding behind bushes, fuel pumps and any / all other obstacles that will conceal me. Sort of like Wile E. Coyote sneaking up on the Road Runner by swiftly springing from behind rock to behind rock until the Road Runner is w/ in the last leap. If I go to, say, a gas station with large, open areas between the parking lot and the exit of the building, I put up cardboard cutouts of boulders located strategically and then dart between them until I am close enough to my bike and the Road Runner er, potential bike thief to confront him or her directly.

I think this is a highly under reported and under funded problem on a national scale and hereby propose we create a group dedicated to the preservation of empty saddles on our bikes when we are not in attendance. Perhaps the old 'the tack under a piece of paper on the saddle' trick would be a righteous beginning?

Brian

Of course if someone wants your concours they just hop on while you are in the gas station with the bike in first gear, the clutch pulled in the stovepipe pushed down.  As soon as you walk close enough they start it and are gone.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 05:43:41 PM »
Hey, has anyone noticed that a lot of the time, the 'bad' section of town is on the south side? What's up with that? Do criminals and miscreants have some sort of attraction to the south pole? Sure it is funny and all but really, all the worst sections of the cities that I know of are in the southern area. I am not saying it is some kind of 100% rule but it does seem to be all out of reasonable proportion (the bad sections should only be in the southern portion 25% of the time, right?).

Brian

PIP

Crime seems to be concentrated in many cities that skew the over all statistics for an area.

<snip>

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 05:55:16 PM »
lol

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 06:58:49 PM »
Not sure how CC would have helped him, both crimes occurred out of his presence. Unless you're talking about the 'deterrence in general' effect.

TJPGI:  Sounds like preventative measures did you no good. Other than causing additional damage to get into places they were going regardless.  Who knows? Burglarized AND a car stolen?  That's bad luck right there.

I mentioned concealed carry as a possible deterrent for the possible" third leg of the crime spree" ( hypothesizing a mugging or such if I were to stay in Ohio.. currently trying to make a permanent move to Texas) that I so far have encountered. Never been to Peoria. Columbus Ohio was where all of the crime occurred to me. 8). He!!and I was born and lived in Newark, New Jersey for part of my life and experienced no crime. Of course back then I was a very careful and skeptical young man and avoided perceived risky situations like the plague.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200