Author Topic: "black" sludge floating in master Brake cylinder  (Read 11879 times)

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
"black" sludge floating in master Brake cylinder
« on: December 01, 2011, 05:07:41 PM »
Am I imagining things?  It was night when I got home, but I have noticed my pads are down to approx 1.5mm, I hear what sounds almost like a dull hiss when I grab the front brakes, and when I got home, it "appeared" like I had some black "sludge" floating on top of brake fluid in master brake cylinder. Lil lost...I mean, I know my pads need changing and plan to do next week when Connie goes down for mx, but the floaters? The sound?  Is that the sound the pads make when they are about toast?  I thought for sure I'd get more than 15,000 miles out of the shoes, but I guess I use them alot.  Any input...appreciated...thx
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 05:27:08 AM by Roadie »
Will

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: "black" sludge floating in master Break cylinder
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 05:19:47 PM »
If you are looking into the master cylinder reservoir from the outside, through the walls, then I would not worry about it. It is probably the plastic damper (anti- slosh plate) that floats on top of the brake fluid. The plate is really a piece of white foam but the edges turn black from the fines in the brake fluid. If you are not used to seeing that thing float in the M.C. it would probably look odd to you. By the way, once the edge does turn dark it is hard or impossible to clean it so you will get used to it.

No one has found any sludge type material in a C-14 brake system, at least not that I have heard of. The brake fluid is totally isolated so it is unlikely to become contaminated (you can turn the master cylinder upside down and it will not leak). Brake fluid does turn darker with time and eventually gets nearly black but there should not be anything thick in the fluid.

Brian

Am I imagining things?  It was night when I got home, but I have noticed my pads are down to approx 1.5mm, I hear what sounds almost like a dull hiss when I grab the front breaks, and when I got home, it "appeared" like I had some black "sludge" floating on top of brake fluid in master break cylinder. Lil lost...I mean, I know my pads need changing and plan to do next week when Connie goes down for mx, but the floaters? The sound?  Is that the sound the pads make when they are about toast?  I thought for sure I'd get more than 15,000 miles out of the shoes, but I guess I use them alot.  Any input...appreciated...thx
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline roadie

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 05:23:16 PM »
If you are looking into the master cylinder reservoir from the outside, through the walls, then I would not worry about it. It is probably the plastic damper (anti- slosh plate) that floats on top of the brake fluid. The plate is really a piece of white foam but the edges turn black from the fines in the brake fluid. If you are not used to seeing that thing float in the M.C. it would probably look odd to you. By the way, once the edge does turn dark it is hard or impossible to clean it so you will get used to it.

No one has found any sludge type material in a C-14 brake system, at least not that I have heard of. The brake fluid is totally isolated so it is unlikely to become contaminated (you can turn the master cylinder upside down and it will not leak). Brake fluid does turn darker with time and eventually gets nearly black but there should not be anything thick in the fluid.

Brian

Thx Brian, puts me at ease a bit...what about the noise? Is there a tell tale sign when pads are going bad?
Will

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 05:32:49 PM »
I don't know- I never burned all the way through a set of pads on a motorcycle. That said, all the motorcycle brakes I have experienced do make a 'hissing' sound with good pads.

It is easy to check the pads with a flashlight and without taking anything apart. You will have to maneuver your head and the light around a bit but you will be able to see the edges of the pads and there should be a gap between the steel backing plate of the pad and the rotor (the gap IS the pad material). Stock brakes have a groove in them that serves as a wear indicator- if you can see any of that groove, the pads are OK. You <might> need a small mirror to see all the pads but it is still quite easy.

I find motorcycle pads look dangerously worn when they are only 1/2 used up. They are thin to begin with, and appear even thinner when still inside the caliper. I have seen a lot of "worn out" pads that are less than 1/2 used up when compared with brand new pads. In fact, brand new pads look a little worn out to most of us. At least they are cheap, right?  ::)

Brian

Thx Brian, puts me at ease a bit...what about the noise? Is there a tell tale sign when pads are going bad?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline roadie

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 05:40:39 PM »
Just sounds like a louder hiss lately...maybe becauase I'm feeling the maintenance bug and thinking it needs...I'll check again, but thinking I saw about 1.5 mm of pad left last weekend when I checked.  Thanks Brian. Always super helpful insight.
Will

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 07:43:12 PM »

You can't stop any more?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline roadie

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 07:47:50 PM »
You can't stop any more?

:) still stops just making a new noise I've never heard before.
Will

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 10:48:07 PM »
:) still stops just making a new noise I've never heard before.
You're just listening better.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 03:36:53 AM »
 :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 04:48:42 AM »
BTW, it's brakes, not breaks.

Goof. ;D
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline roadie

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 05:23:44 AM »
Duh :). I'll fix. Of all people it had to be the boy from Arkansas that catches the typo. Geez.
Will

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 07:23:01 AM »
Duh :). I'll fix. Of all people it had to be the boy from Arkansas that catches the typo. Geez.

:rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 08:51:23 AM »
I'm from KC MO.
But I love tearing up the twistys in Arkansas. 8)

;)

Offline Z71

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 08:44:22 PM »
I'm from KC MO.
But I love tearing up the twistys in Arkansas. 8)

;)

By the way, it is "twisties",  not "twistys"    ;D

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: "black" sludge floating in master Brake cylinder
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 05:17:30 PM »
Damnit! :o

I can't remember the last time I messed that one up! :P

8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 05:19:04 PM »
Seams theirs a speling insurection in progress....

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »
As long as it does not get inciteful....

Brian

Seams theirs a speling insurection in progress....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 05:25:30 PM »
Quite!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 05:01:09 AM »
Damnit! :o

I can't remember the last time I messed that one up! :P

8)

Hey Jimmy, it's dammit not damnit.     ;D

That'll learn ya!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 07:32:12 AM »
This thread delivers
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine