Author Topic: Motor Oil Type  (Read 11215 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Motor Oil Type
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »
We are playing nice.  We poke fun at members and ourselves.  He can join in the fun or not.  An oil thread is ripe for fun. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 08:25:14 PM »
Wow Steve, you are slipping. I fixed this one up for ya' too but try to be more careful 'cause I may not catch all of your threads....

;D

Brian

Rotella T6 Flavor Anything else and KiPass, the winning combo!  ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 06:00:28 PM »
Why don't you pick me up a couple of packs of muffler bearings while you're at it. :)

Put me down for a "tank-stretcher"  I need more room for fuel....
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 10:09:30 PM »
NOOB!!!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 05:52:29 AM »
Don't forget that you must ALWAYS torque the nut that holds the handlebars after every oil change.

Some of the nuts on here torque so much it's difficult to get a word in anywhichways.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 11:09:50 AM »
I can't believe that, as detailed as PH14 was with the C14 oil change procedure, he forgot one very important step.....

Measuring the oil quantity.  I find the best way to accurately meter the oil is to use a syringe.  A large 100 ml horse syringe works best, as it minimizes the number of plunger pushes that are required to fill the crankcase.  The job can get quite tedious and time consuming with a 5 or 10 ml medical syringe.

Offline PH14

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 02:02:41 PM »
I can't believe that, as detailed as PH14 was with the C14 oil change procedure, he forgot one very important step.....

Measuring the oil quantity.  I find the best way to accurately meter the oil is to use a syringe.  A large 100 ml horse syringe works best, as it minimizes the number of plunger pushes that are required to fill the crankcase.  The job can get quite tedious and time consuming with a 5 or 10 ml medical syringe.

You are so right, I left out that important step. I use a different technique though, I set up an IV with a drip count sensor. Either way it's important to be accurate when refilling the engine with oil.

I would also like to add that the sight glass is not a good way to measure the amount of oil in the engine. Once you have filled up the crankcase with oil and measured accurately, you need to weigh the bike. Write down the weight. To check the oil later, weigh the bike again, if it weighs less, add the corresponding weight in oil. The bike must be freshly washed when you weigh it. You may accumulate several ounces of dirt and bugs as you ride and this will throw off the accuracy.

To be even more accurate, since scales are not always perfectly accurate due to the springs involved in many, you coulld use a balance type scale to find the actual mass of the motorcycle, although these would have to be rather large. Another method would be to place the C14 into a large container of water, such as a pool, and calculate the amount of water it displaces. Any way you decided to do it, be sure to do it exactly the same way every time to assure and accurate measurement.

Offline Tim

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 05:00:42 PM »
Never mind.......
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »
Well, you could always weigh the bike the way Texans weigh pigs.....

They find a long plank and tie the pig to one end. Then they take the plank and pig to a round- topped rock and very carefully place the very center of the plank on top of aforementioned rock. Then they hunt around day and night for as long as it takes to find a rock that exactly balances the plank against the weight of the pig. Finally, they guess the weight of the balancing rock.

Brian

You are so right, I left out that important step. I use a different technique though, I set up an IV with a drip count sensor. Either way it's important to be accurate when refilling the engine with oil.

I would also like to add that the sight glass is not a good way to measure the amount of oil in the engine. Once you have filled up the crankcase with oil and measured accurately, you need to weigh the bike. Write down the weight. To check the oil later, weigh the bike again, if it weighs less, add the corresponding weight in oil. The bike must be freshly washed when you weigh it. You may accumulate several ounces of dirt and bugs as you ride and this will throw off the accuracy.

To be even more accurate, since scales are not always perfectly accurate due to the springs involved in many, you coulld use a balance type scale to find the actual mass of the motorcycle, although these would have to be rather large. Another method would be to place the C14 into a large container of water, such as a pool, and calculate the amount of water it displaces. Any way you decided to do it, be sure to do it exactly the same way every time to assure and accurate measurement.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline PH14

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »

They find a long plank and tie the pig to one end. Then they take the plank and pig to a round- topped rock and very carefully place the very center of the plank on top of aforementioned rock. Then they hunt around day and night for as long as it takes to find a rock that exactly balances the plank against the weight of the pig. Finally, they guess the weight of the balancing rock.

Brian

:rotflmao: :chugbeer:

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 11:31:01 PM »

You must mean Aggies, not Texans in general.
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.