Author Topic: Looking for a job  (Read 14619 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Looking for a job
« on: February 26, 2013, 01:26:47 PM »

The internet has made applying for and finding jobs easy, but it is also a crutch. I wish I could walk in to a business and shake the hand of the boss, look him (or her) in the eye and tell them why I would be a good fit.  I have been working my fingers off typing up applications and emailing different companies to get information about employment. 

Oilfield work in Texas, North Dakota, Wyoming and all those other big sky states is looking pretty tempting. As long as I am not trapped in a cage/cubicle for 10 hours a day.

I just thought I would broaden my network of contacts.  Maybe one of you knows of an employer looking for a reliable, honest employee that isn't afraid to do what is needed to put food on the table. 

Without posting my resume (I would be happy to email you a copy if interested) I will tell you that I spent 13 years in the US Army as an MP.  I spent most of my career either deployed or instructing weapons and tactics.  Thanks for any contacts you can provide.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Looking for a job
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 01:38:27 PM »
For what it's worth, I keep seeing ads on TV here in Colorado for the New Mexico State Police. They are definitely hiring.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »
Have you tried applying for LEO work, Jeremy, or is that something you don't want to do anymore?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »
LE would be ok, and I have a couple different counties I am looking at but here in MO (and lots of other states) they just don't want to pay a fair wage. 

Offline Cuda

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 01:50:56 PM »
I believe NY state police $80,000. base
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 01:52:18 PM »
I believe NY state police $80,000. base

Good money, bad state (IMO) to live in. 

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:57:33 PM »
Lots and lots of oilfield jobs here in Alberta.  They are bringing in people from around the world.
Riding is 6-7 months.  24 hours a day in June.  Relatively empty roads.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 02:02:47 PM »
As long as I am not trapped in a cage/cubicle for 10 hours a day.

How about 4 or 5 hours a day in a cube, but half of that spent on ebay and bike forums...  ;) ;D

I wish you all the best in your search JM, I'll keep my ears open for ya!  :chugbeer:

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 02:10:13 PM »

How about 4 or 5 hours a day in a cube, but half of that spent on ebay and bike forums...  ;) ;D

I wish you all the best in your search JM, I'll keep my ears open for ya!  :chugbeer:

I will take about anything no matter where it is, as long as they pay me a fair wage. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:30:57 PM »
U.S. Border patrol is looking for experienced people.... ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 02:43:58 PM »
U.S. Border patrol is looking for experienced people.... ;)

No habla espanol.   ;D

Working up north on the Canadian border would be nice though..................

Government jobs are hard to come by right now.  I am being looked at for three different jobs but there is just so much competition that I don't have much confidence that I will end up getting it.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 03:43:16 PM »
Good money, bad state (IMO) to live in.
As an LEO in NY, I have to agree.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 03:56:21 PM »
As an LEO in NY, I have to agree.

The high taxes and cost of living is my biggest issue with NY.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 03:58:59 PM »
Probably not the best of time to be looking at any Federal or DOD jobs at the moment, unfortunately.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 04:09:12 PM »
Probably not the best of time to be looking at any Federal or DOD jobs at the moment, unfortunately.

Preachin' to the choir on that one. 

I had a job at the MP school doing exactly what I did when I wore the uniform, that was all but guaranteed (two of my references would have been making the hiring decision).  After the 30% budget cut that position went on hold.   

I know there are jobs out there and links to apply (I applied for literally hundreds of them) for, but I guess the biggest thing that I am looking for is a phone number to talk to someone and express my willingness to work, whether it is back breaking oil field jobs or learning the ins and outs of railway transport. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 04:31:42 PM »
Usually you have to know someone who knows someone to get past the initial screeners.  Hopefully someone here can help with that.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »
The high taxes and cost of living is my biggest issue with NY.

Not If you live in the country, I just had my foreman leave me for a job in NY installing a big gas line project,  Talked to him last week $31.00 per hour $100. per day expences.
He was a Leo in Kentucky and they would not except his training in FL. but they do in NY,  when he's done with this project he plans on getting back to a LEO job .
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 03:17:04 AM »
LE would be ok, and I have a couple different counties I am looking at but here in MO (and lots of other states) they just don't want to pay a fair wage.

You can come to Virginia and work in LE for Fairfax County.  Great pay.  After 2 years on patrol, move to a specialty (Motors?).  And you can live further out where I do and pay less for housing and deal with less traffic.  I live in Warrenton and work in Chantilly (in Fairfax County).  Takes me 25-40 minutes to get to work (depending on what time I leave).  And if you get on motors, you get a take home bike to ride to and from.   

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 07:05:07 AM »
My biggest obstacle with LE is the POST exam.  The department that I apply with would ideally have an OJT period after hiring to allow me time to take the exam. 

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 09:51:40 PM »
Good news, I have an interview with BNSF.  The bad part is I have to make a 1000 mile road trip to North Dakota next week.  I sure wish the weather was more predictable up there right now or else I would ride my bike.  Now I have a boring ride in a cage, but I will be happy to make the trip if I can get a job out of the deal.