Author Topic: Concours 14 ABS/Linked brakes lawsuit pending  (Read 34088 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Concours 14 ABS/Linked brakes lawsuit pending
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2018, 11:43:10 AM »
Linked brakes came [automatically/mandatorily] with the gen2 (2010+) ABS system.  I do know that.

Agreed. I'm 99.9% sure that Linked brakes; Traction control, and ABS was the trifecta package deal option in '10, and mandatory from '11 on, at least in the U.S.

Now I'm starting to wonder about the switch gear on the left bar. It should have the meter change button that was formerly for the flash to pass, but no abs or trac buttons yet still have the newer flash to pass Incorporated in the Hi/lo beam switch. That might be another unique part.

It would appear to be so, from recent fiche research, the switch assembly seems to have blanks where the ABS and TC buttons are and it only shows usage (@ Ron Ayers) on the '10 DAF model (non-ABS) assembly part #46091-0203.

Well, we sure filled in a few pages while waiting for this lawsuit case to pan out eh? Quite the wordy bunch we are.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Just to keep the talk going, what was with the reduced power models that were available in Europe? Anybody know anything about those? I mean who or why would anyone buy one of those?
Were they just for safety testing purposes government only models and not available to the public or what?

Offline p07r0457

« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2018, 06:41:52 PM »
Just to keep the talk going, what was with the reduced power models that were available in Europe? Anybody know anything about those? I mean who or why would anyone buy one of those?
Were they just for safety testing purposes government only models and not available to the public or what?
I don't recall the exact specifics...  But I believe many European countries had power-to-weight restrictions for "newly" licensed riders.  Basically if you had your motorcycle endorsement/license for less than X number of years, you were limited in how powerful a motorcycle you could operate.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance - White Diamond Pearl
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2018, 12:14:39 AM »
I don't recall the exact specifics...  But I believe many European countries had power-to-weight restrictions for "newly" licensed riders.  Basically if you had your motorcycle endorsement/license for less than X number of years, you were limited in how powerful a motorcycle you could operate.

Blame the French for the Reduced Power models as they have some stupid law that puts a 100bhp limit on motorcycles (although that may be changing)

That said you are correct in that there is an EU power to weight limit for newly fully licensed riders under 24/21(depending on test path) but you couldn't restrict a GTR due to it's starting power being more than 94BHP ;)

"Standard motorcycle up to 35 kW (47bhp) (and a power-to-weight ratio not more than 0.2 kW per kg), bike mustn’t be derived from vehicle more than twice its power"

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2018, 03:14:15 PM »
Yes, but the '10 non ABS doesn't have Traction control nor linked brakes, and it has part number 43095-0501 (front brakes) that to the best of my knowledge no other model of C14 and perhaps no other Kawasaki bike uses. This is all based online part fiche research (rainy days) so it's accuracy is based on that. There may be a different meter for that model as well that no other bike uses. Now I'm starting to wonder about the switch gear on the left bar. It should have the meter change button that was formerly for the flash to pass, but no abs or trac buttons yet still have the newer flash to pass Incorporated in the Hi/lo beam switch. That might be another unique part. I can see why mama Kaw quit doing that in '11.

Jimmymac, does your meter/dash have the ABS and Traction control lights (non functioning) on the tach?
I'll have to get back to you on that one. It seems the windows are there, with no lamps, but I'll make sure.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2018, 03:21:08 PM »
Nothing on my cluster shows any of that. 2 turn signal lamps, oil lamp, High beam lamp and the red warning lamp. Oh yeah, neutral indicator.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2018, 03:55:02 PM »
Thanks Jimmy'.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2018, 11:42:59 AM »
I just checked and it appears that this case was settled on June 15th, and I'll bet it was made confidential in the settlement.
 However I'll see if I can PM the OP and see if he can give us details.
If he does come back,  I'll expect you folks to...

;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 04:59:42 PM by fartymarty »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2018, 11:47:52 AM »
Will be interesting to see what became of it.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2018, 01:27:04 PM »
I think it was amazing that 9 pages of dialog took place, and the O/P only has one post to his name, the original post.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2018, 01:57:26 PM »
I think it was amazing that 9 pages of dialog took place, and the O/P only has one post to his name, the original post.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Prob cuz he provided enough detail and content to seem at least somewhat plausible.

But then subsequently he got 8+ pages of a scorchin'!

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2018, 03:04:57 PM »
 And now it appears to be gone.
Deleted
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2018, 03:47:02 PM »
And now it appears to be gone.

Unfortunately, that can (and probably will with context) lead most readers to believe that the original posit of a selfish objective has been met.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2018, 05:13:11 PM »
New forum guideline?  First reply has to quote the op for thread posterity?   :rotflmao:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2018, 05:23:56 PM »
They'll settle with a confidentiality agreement.

The OP answered my PM.

OK, I was wrong, it's called a non disclosure agreement, but yes it was settled and, no he can't talk about it.

I am kind of surprised how he was treated here though, just because he didn't like the brakes and got a lawyer he was called a troll and other stuff.
Over the years I've heard so many complaints about this bike, " the seat sucks, the bars hurt my shoulders (I still don't understand that one, but whatever), it's buzzy, it's jerky, it's got no cruise control, it doesn't have a key that works like the key on all my old bikes did, the brakes aren't linked right," etc. etc. etc. and yet this guy is the one that gets all the flack?

I like my C14, a lot (no it isn't love), but if someone else doesn't and instead of just complaining about it on forums, decides to go get a lawyer and take on a giant large
corporation..then my hat is off to them. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2018, 07:10:36 PM »
The OP answered my PM.  OK, I was wrong, it's called a non disclosure agreement, but yes it was settled and, no he can't talk about it.

Well, that is understandable and pretty typical with settlements.  Of course, he could have posted that (or anything but a single post, which he later deleted).

Without any further information, I will conclude it is a very isolated problem with a single person who had some issue (or perhaps a combination of issues, maybe not even related), and sued.  Kawasaki found it prudent, or just cheaper, to monetarily fix it through settlement and move on.  Typically, they would just fix any problem under warranty, but who knows- perhaps a bad dealer was involved or a customer that wouldn't be happy no matter what was or could be done.

I do know there is no systemic ABS problem (based on observation of posts and searches) and there was and hasn't been any "class action" lawsuit about ABS on the Concours 14.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2018, 07:18:32 PM »
Just be on the look out for any changes in the warning stickers and / or in the owners manual on the 2019’s. Either way, changes made or no changes made will speak volumes to the outcome of this case.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2018, 07:19:35 PM »
There are lot of people who make a living with bs lawsuits.  That's my guess about this topic.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2018, 12:03:22 AM »
Just be on the look out for any changes in the warning stickers and / or in the owners manual on the 2019’s.

I certainly hope you are right about that. There being a 2019 edition that is.  :-\

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2018, 01:07:43 AM »
I certainly hope you are right about that. There being a 2019 edition that is.  :-\

Yeah, I am thinking that is highly improbable at this point.  But, hey, stranger things have happened.

Offline blue72beetle

« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2018, 04:11:27 PM »
"Settled" with an NDA doesn't mean he won or got his way. Just means the case was 'resolved' outside of court.