Author Topic: Concours 14 ABS/Linked brakes lawsuit pending  (Read 34091 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Concours 14 ABS/Linked brakes lawsuit pending
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2018, 11:14:59 AM »
Well I doubt we'll know anything more until March 6th, after which we may see more dates further ahead, or nothing. If nothing then I think we can surmise that they settled and that the settlement is confidential. If it is dismissed than I think we will see that on the court's website. Time will tell, but I still think it's legit...but going way back I thought Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the tooth fairy were real...so there's that.

The lawyers involved:

Representing the OP ( Feral Cat) ---->  https://www.caconsumeradvocate.com/meet-attorney-howard-d-silver

Representing Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. ---->   https://www.wilsonelser.com/attorneys/ralph_w_robinson

......any ducks involved appear to be unrepresented at this time...AFLAC!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 05:29:31 PM by fartymarty »

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2018, 11:23:42 AM »
Well, if ya want more information from someone to determine their intentions, attacking them out of the gate really isn't the best way.

I agree.

That happens frequently on other forums, usually not so much here. As elite as we are here, we're still human and fallible.  :-\

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2018, 11:33:23 AM »
If I recall this is a state lawsuit concerning Cali's lemon law. Not really a national issue. Interesting but not earth shattering.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2018, 03:54:25 PM »
Well, if ya want more information from someone to determine their intentions, attacking them out of the gate really isn't the best way. Seems like they have pretty much shut down communication on this forum so I guess we will never know. I tried to get more information via a PM with no response. I am curious.

I can only really speak for my own posts- I didn't attack anyone, I simply pointed out that the supposition was probably wrong (implying there is some widespread problem) and said "I am not trying to dismiss or diminish what happened to you, but try to set a perspective."  If you then read the other postings on the first two pages- they are all similar, all asking questions and statements that correctly try to make sense of a posting that otherwise doesn't have much face validity (well, until the "ducks" nonsense).  To me, nothing that looks like an attack.  It wasn't until Man Of Blues posted, almost two days later (still with no followup information from the OP), before something hostile surfaced (but MOB does tend to do that sometimes).  And what he said is all probably correct, if not harshly delivered.  But I can certainly understand his frustration with something that looks like it could be construed as slander/liable.

Perhaps the reason he only posted once and doesn't respond is just validation that something is fishy- like the information is not accurate or exaggerated, or he is some clerk or someone who joined for the sole purpose of trying to drum up a case to sue over.   Or he is just selfish- here to get "support" but not to discuss or learn or really share anything that could help others.  Hard to say.  Marty said "Feral Cat" responded to a PM, which is something, but not much.

Even if it is legit, that still doesn't mean the circumstances of the original post are valid or make any sense.  One might read the entire thing as:

"OMG, I bought a bike and had problems!  Kawasaki can't fix the problems!!  I could have lost my life!!  Somehow they are all related so this is a design problem with the C14! Kawasaki admitted it- they even said ALL Concours before 2016 have issues.  Even all the police stopped using it because of this!!! You should spread the news to join or help my lawsuit with examples!"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline KawaC14

« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2018, 09:56:16 AM »
Yes, I apologize,  "attack" is the wrong word. It wasn't a warm fuzzy kinda response to his post.  Perhaps he hasnt responded because they are busy in court. ???
Being politically correct, isn't politically correct.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2018, 12:58:24 PM »
Currently (3-6-2018) at court ordered mediation.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 05:31:07 PM by fartymarty »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2018, 03:11:43 PM »
He's Still hangin around, and checking on his thread... but nothing to say..... ::)

Last Active: Today at 11:05:53 am

interesting case description...
Case Type: Breach of Contract/Warranty

activity stretching out....

HEARINGS
Dept.                     Date    Time                File    Type                                          Result   
Department 14         3/6/2018   9:00AM              Conference: Case Management          Held   
Department 14     6/26/2018   9:02AM      Conference: Case Management

as for "recall issues", the fact o/p makes written statements here, basing the choice by some police departments to forego using the ZG platform, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the integrity of the motorcycle as delivered and sold... all of the issues revolved around the addition of "outfitting specialty gear" to those bikes, and fall directly on the "outfitter" of these squad bikes...
Just the same as if you or I as an aftermarket customer was to retrofit a different windshield, Handle bar modifications, or any electronic equipment in a manner that proves to be unsafe.

http://wemakeitsafer.com/vehicle-recall/Kawasaki-Concours-14-Recall-4406464

and

http://www.arfc.org/motorcycles/kawasaki/concours_14/recalls.aspx

here are the formal recalls, and additional ones were the initial one of the rear brake pedal could be "wedged" by debris or a small stone... ( there were 2 recalls in total to cover the issue), also the original tail rack, made from plastic, was not suited for the addition of a large trunk... and issues arose from customer additions.. only other problem documented were a few instances of the headlight  adjuster knobs "falling off", not a safety issue at all...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:05:18 PM by MAN OF BLUES »

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2018, 01:05:03 PM »
Once again the superiority of the Gen 1 shines through. 8)
Unless you were lucky enough to score mine. No nannies on my 2010. The last year to opt out of any of it.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2018, 06:17:41 PM »
Unless you were lucky enough to score mine. No nannies on my 2010. The last year to opt out of any of it.

As I've said elsewhere, I think that is the rarest of all C14s. It's different than the Gen I's and yet still different from most of the Gen II's.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2018, 08:06:52 PM »
As I've said elsewhere, I think that is the rarest of all C14s. It's different than the Gen I's and yet still different from most of the Gen II's.

Actually, I the 2010 is identical to the later Gen2's in every way except that the ABS system was optional.  But that optional system was the same as the 2011+ system, not the optional system used on 2008-2009.  It was made standard in 2011.

So a 2010+ with ABS has linked brakes a 2008-2009 with ABS does not.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2018, 03:52:36 AM »
Are you sure about the linked brakes? Where's the traction control?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2018, 05:46:20 AM »
Are you sure about the linked brakes?

Based on reviews and research, yes.  2010: "2nd Generation K-ACT (Kawasaki Advanced Coactive-braking Technology) ABS links front and rear brakes for most effective front-rear brake force distribution"

Where's the traction control?

That was a standard gen 2 feature, 2010+.  2010: "KTRC (Kawasaki Traction Control): Kawasaki’s first traction control system reduces engine output when wheel spin is detected, allowing the rear tire to regain grip.  Advanced, 3-way control (airflow, ignition timing, fuel delivery) gives KTRC smooth operation"

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2018, 08:19:56 AM »
Actually, I the 2010 is identical to the later Gen2's in every way except that the ABS system was optional. 

Yes, but the '10 non ABS doesn't have Traction control nor linked brakes, and it has part number 43095-0501 (front brakes) that to the best of my knowledge no other model of C14 and perhaps no other Kawasaki bike uses. This is all based online part fiche research (rainy days) so it's accuracy is based on that. There may be a different meter for that model as well that no other bike uses. Now I'm starting to wonder about the switch gear on the left bar. It should have the meter change button that was formerly for the flash to pass, but no abs or trac buttons yet still have the newer flash to pass Incorporated in the Hi/lo beam switch. That might be another unique part. I can see why mama Kaw quit doing that in '11.

Jimmymac, does your meter/dash have the ABS and Traction control lights (non functioning) on the tach?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2018, 04:05:24 PM »
Yes, but the '10 non ABS doesn't have Traction control nor linked brakes, and it has part number 43095-0501 (front brakes) that to the best of my knowledge no other model of C14 and perhaps no other Kawasaki bike uses.

Linking is a function of 2010+ ABS.  So without ABS on a 2010, there was no linking either.  Of that, there is no question.

But my research seemed to indicate that traction control was standard.  TC has nothing to do with ABS.  I am pretty sure the light would be on the dash (I doubt they would have another whole dash, especially since I doubt they would use the older gen1 dash which was yellow and not white back lighting).  The only other "part" is the TC switch (everything else is just software)...  maybe they used a different handlebar switch cluster (gen 1?) so it had no ABS linking button on it which also took away the TC button?  Inquiring minds!

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2018, 04:39:45 PM »
Linking is a function of 2010+ ABS.  So without ABS on a 2010, there was no linking either.  Of that, there is no question.

But my research seemed to indicate that traction control was standard.  TC has nothing to do with ABS.  I am pretty sure the light would be on the dash (I doubt they would have another whole dash, especially since I doubt they would use the older gen1 dash which was yellow and not white back lighting).  The only other "part" is the TC switch (everything else is just software)...  maybe they used a different handlebar switch cluster (gen 1?) so it had no ABS linking button on it which also took away the TC button?  Inquiring minds!

Depends how it's implemented.

Hondas ST1100 used the rear wheel ABS sensor as part of the TCS that was fitted.

Admittedly a lot older bike and yes technically its a diffferent thing, just with a shared component :)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2018, 04:53:50 PM »

Depends how it's implemented.

Hondas ST1100 used the rear wheel ABS sensor as part of the TCS that was fitted.

Admittedly a lot older bike and yes technically its a diffferent thing, just with a shared component :)

Ooooh, very good point/observation!

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2018, 04:59:45 PM »

I thought the ABS and traction control both used the same wheel speed sensors. Maybe I'm wrong tho.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2018, 05:08:54 PM »
The parts fiche for the non ABS '10 C14 do not show wheel speed sensors so I don't know how traction control could work without them.

The Kawasaki site defaults to the ABS owner's manual even when you select the non-ABS model....so?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2018, 07:56:40 AM »
Traction control was introduced with the Gen.2 C-14 in 2010. Kawasaki put on that demo with wet plastic that no one could ride (power) over until the T/C was engaged as a big part of the intro. Not sure when linked brakes showed up but ABS was still an option for 2010 and finally made standard on all bikes in 2011.

But the way traction control works, the ABS wheel sensors would be needed even on the non- ABS models for the traction control alone. Probably why they just went ABS on all bikes after 2010.

Brian

The parts fiche for the non ABS '10 C14 do not show wheel speed sensors so I don't know how traction control could work without them.

The Kawasaki site defaults to the ABS owner's manual even when you select the non-ABS model....so?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »
Traction control was introduced with the Gen.2 C-14 in 2010. Kawasaki put on that demo with wet plastic that no one could ride (power) over until the T/C was engaged as a big part of the intro. Not sure when linked brakes showed up but ABS was still an option for 2010 and finally made standard on all bikes in 2011.

Linked brakes came [automatically/mandatorily] with the gen2 (2010+) ABS system.  I do know that.