Author Topic: Wiring Rostra cruise control as always on questions.  (Read 7052 times)

Offline jamiemac

Wiring Rostra cruise control as always on questions.
« on: June 17, 2011, 06:38:43 PM »
Has anyone done this? I installed My rostra about a year ago, & would like to wire it with a 3 position switch for set/accel, coast & do away with the switch on the bars.

I have virtually forgotten everything about My install. Hopefully this will take care of My issue of shutting down when I hit large bumps.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Wiring Rostra cruise control as always on questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 07:06:28 PM »
I just went from momentary contact switches (two switches) to the stock Rostra switch to eliminate the same problem. Not sure yet if that will work or not.

Brian

Has anyone done this? I installed My rostra about a year ago, & would like to wire it with a 3 position switch for set/accel, coast & do away with the switch on the bars.

I have virtually forgotten everything about My install. Hopefully this will take care of My issue of shutting down when I hit large bumps.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 07:18:49 PM »
I just went from momentary contact switches (two switches) to the stock Rostra switch to eliminate the same problem. Not sure yet if that will work or not.

Brian
Let Me know if Your problem goes away Brian. I'm using the Rostra 250-3592 switch with led indicators at the top. Mine switches off when i hit bumps & will not resume. I can reset it usually, just not resume the previously set speed. Weird.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 08:03:40 PM »
If there is no ability to resume, then it indicates the unit lost power. Check both the power leads, especially the ground lead. Odds are there is some interruption in power to the Rostra (not the switch itself but the actuator).

Brian

Let Me know if Your problem goes away Brian. I'm using the Rostra 250-3592 switch with led indicators at the top. Mine switches off when i hit bumps & will not resume. I can reset it usually, just not resume the previously set speed. Weird.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:34:31 PM »
If there is no ability to resume, then it indicates the unit lost power. Check both the power leads, especially the ground lead. Odds are there is some interruption in power to the Rostra (not the switch itself but the actuator).

Brian
OK, That makes a lot of sense. Ya know, I retired from auto service about 12 years ago, & I can Tell Ya that diagnostic abilities are a perishable skill if You don't use it.

Offline gtrdon

08 Kawasaki Concours 14
06 Kawasaki ZX14
86 Kawasaki ZX1000
76 Yamaha RD400

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 01:31:14 PM »
Nice find!

Offline gtrdon

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 05:56:37 PM »
Wiring was a piece of cake. In the wiring harness that goes to the control pad, there's a Green wire, a Brown wire, and a Yellow wire. At rest, none of these are connected to each other. For Accel/Resume, connect Brown to Yellow; and for Set/Coast connect Brown to Green. In other words, connect the Brown wire to the switch's center terminal, Green to the upper terminal, and Yellow to the lower terminal. I ran the wires inside the existing loom that runs up to the left switch cluster, so no new wires are visible. The other wires in the control pad harness are not used. I also connected the Brown wire to the Red wire (at the servo unit) in order to put 12VDC onto the Brown wire, although I'm not sure I had to do that.
08 Kawasaki Concours 14
06 Kawasaki ZX14
86 Kawasaki ZX1000
76 Yamaha RD400

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 06:31:20 PM »
Appreciate it. That will be a big help.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »
Found the issue with My Rostra. Just a simple loose connection. The brown (power) wire at the white switch connector was never installed correctly. My mistake, & it worked under most circumstances, but would short when I hit a bump. Took about 5 minutes to fix. Hope this helps anyone else having issues similar to mine.