Author Topic: Testing the Rostra cruise control  (Read 25582 times)

Offline skeet

• 2009 Concours 14
Testing the Rostra cruise control
« on: January 03, 2015, 08:23:05 AM »
I got everything install and wired. Even got into diagnostic mode to verify all the signals going to the controller.
Now is there a way to test the operation without going for a ride?
Too mich snow and ice here in northern MN. I tried running it on the center stand at about 25 mph but that is too scary and the cruise did not work.
Thanks,
Wayne

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Testing the Rostra cruise control
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 10:06:57 AM »
No, not really. As you found out, the centerstand method will not work correctly and the Rostra will jerk the throttle so hard (Easy Boys!) that I really hesitate to recommend that as a method of testing. If the Rostra did take over and move the throttle at all, you can be assured that the unit is installed properly and is working but without the load of actually riding the bike, the realistic behavior of the Rostra (or any cruise control for that matter IME) cannot be tested.

To the best of my knowledge, and I have assisted with dozens of these installs, if the unit passes all parts of the diagnostic, it will work with the single possible exception of having far too much free play in the cable. So you should be ready to ride along America's highways and feel free to fall asleep while being confident that the bike will maintain speed....  :o ;D

Brian

I got everything install and wired. Even got into diagnostic mode to verify all the signals going to the controller.
Now is there a way to test the operation without going for a ride?
Too mich snow and ice here in northern MN. I tried running it on the center stand at about 25 mph but that is too scary and the cruise did not work.
Thanks,
Wayne
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:21:11 AM »
So you should be ready to ride along America's highways and feel free to fall asleep while being confident that the bike will maintain speed....  :o ;

LOL!!!

Seriously though, I have a medical condition (some type of sleep disorder) and actually CAN easily fall asleep while driving, even on the Concours without cruise control :(   Have to be very careful, especially at evening or night (and such driving is the ONLY time I consume caffeine, which works and is less scary/complex than the amphetamines the doctor wanted to prescribe).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 10:30:10 AM »
Yeah, I had a friend fall asleep on his scoot a few years ago (BMW RT) on the highway in TN. He woke up to find the Earth and sky exchanging positions rapidly and when that stopped he could not get up due to the broken ankle (his only injury but the bike was wiped out). And he was not using cruise control- he never does because he does not like the variance in speed (???).

A lot of long distance riders have the constant worry about falling asleep while riding. I like to make the amused observance that it is the SECOND night that is the difficult one (on a 50+ hour contiguous ride). :-)  Even dem dare IBR riders sleep some on the very first day....  ;D

Brian

LOL!!!

Seriously though, I have a medical condition (some type of sleep disorder) and actually CAN easily fall asleep while driving, even on the Concours without cruise control :(   Have to be very careful, especially at evening or night (and such driving is the ONLY time I consume caffeine, which works and is less scary/complex than the amphetamines the doctor wanted to prescribe).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 03:12:49 PM »
I've never had a problem staying awake whilst riding, even on a SS1000.  Driving a car on the other hand...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 05:37:11 PM »
Seriously though, I have a medical condition (some type of sleep disorder) and actually CAN easily fall asleep while driving, even on the Concours without cruise control :(   

That is why many of us ride with our brights on in the daytime, to wake you, and those like you, up!

Sorry max', the devil made me type that. ;D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 06:33:49 PM »
Do loud pipes wake Max?

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 06:47:16 PM »
Skeet,
After installing mine, I weighed the odds between testing on the centerstand and manning up and playing crash test dummy...

So I tested mine on the centerstand, holding it back to make sure it couldn't vibrate off the stand and take off.

Mine engaged, but had to be in 5th gear and at least 35 mph.

However, without the friction and load of the road against the rear wheel, it will rev up and down, repeatedly. But, as Brian stated, it proves it's engaging.

When it does this on the centerstand, it's merely exceeding the set speed, then slowing, then trying to reacquire. Once it passed this test, I went for a ride and it worked perfectly.
That was over 2 years ago, still works perfectly.

That's how I did mine.
YMMV, though! Be safe.  The key is it has to be engaged at 35 mph or faster, and in the higher gear. Hope this helps.
Bob
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 07:14:28 PM »
Skeet,
After installing mine, I weighed the odds between testing on the centerstand and manning up and playing crash test dummy...

So I tested mine on the centerstand, holding it back to make sure it couldn't vibrate off the stand and take off.

Mine engaged, but had to be in 5th gear and at least 35 mph.

However, without the friction and load of the road against the rear wheel, it will rev up and down, repeatedly. But, as Brian stated, it proves it's engaging.

When it does this on the centerstand, it's merely exceeding the set speed, then slowing, then trying to reacquire. Once it passed this test, I went for a ride and it worked perfectly.
That was over 2 years ago, still works perfectly.

That's how I did mine.
YMMV, though! Be safe.  The key is it has to be engaged at 35 mph or faster, and in the higher gear. Hope this helps.
Bob

I think that sounds more dangerous than testing on the road. (especially if you repeatedly practice hitting the kill switch before starting out on the road)
Regardless, I'll bet you got some K-Trac error msgs on the screen when you did that, right Bob?

Offline C14lvr

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 07:25:19 PM »
Yes, it will give you a K-Trac error. That will reset when you turn off the ignition, then restart...on the ground.

But, to me, this wasn't even close to being dangerous.
To others, it might be. And it would be a disaster if it ever came off the stand.  :o

But I knew I could hold the bike back and keep it steady on the stand while gradually increasing speed.

I did NOT know if I would be able to turn it off if it went WOT, besides the kill switches.

What startled me was the initial engagement, and sudden accel/then decel/ then accel!

Now when I install one, if it passes diagnostics, and if the switch lights up, I ride it.

This weekend, I'm currently installing an Audiovox 100 system on a 1999 Honda Valkrye.
2011 C14 ABS black w/red/yellow, B.D.F lofuel W.E.,SSD h/g's,
2" setback risers, Phil's wedges/rear rack,K Gel-seat, Rostra CC, AST tourpegs, techspec, 2"droppegs, 4"droppass pegs, Fuzeblock,  7"Garmin, fenda ext, LED tag plate, Ip5S Ram mt, TMeister, Mirror LED t/s, Bestem TBox, CB HDUT w/s, TRex front/CC bag, Wolo Badboy, Tailbrights, Scala G9X, Scorpion EXO1200 Jag, PR4GT's55's, 55W Qz Dr

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 07:43:06 PM »
Yeah, when the Rostra grabs the throttle during the center- stand test, it can be quite a rude surprise. That is why I do not recommend doing that in the tutorial or usually recommend doing it at all. That said, there is a way to test it that is relatively (?) safely: run the bike up to about 40 MPH in 6th and hold the speed steady with the throttle. Engage the CC (this is where an 'engaged' light really helps) and then slowly..... slowly and gently allow the speed to drop about 3 or 4 MPH, no more than 5 MPH no matter what. The CC should start to open the throttle to try and correct the speed drop but it may be violent so as soon as you feel the CC engage, either turn it off or disengage it. Never, EVER let the CC actually control the throttle for more than the smallest amount of time possible because that violent open / close cycle will rock the bike pretty roughly and should the rear tire touch the ground, someone may have to paint the back wall of the garage :-( 

Warning: technical content follows: the reason this happens is because the CC  is calibrated to open the throttle in minimum increments, which are actually fine when the bike is on the road but far too large when there is no load on the bike. The system then overcompensates for the first overspeed cycle by closing too far (usually all the way to idle), the vehicle speed drops rapidly and the CC then opens the throttle again but much further and faster to compensate for the rapid vehicle speed drop. It is all an unstable oscillation due to a system calibrated for a much larger load (the engine and rear wheel can accelerate MUCH faster than they can having to accelerate the whole motorcycle) than just moving the drivetrain.

Brian

<snip>
But, to me, this wasn't even close to being dangerous.
To others, it might be. And it would be a disaster if it ever came off the stand.  :o

But I knew I could hold the bike back and keep it steady on the stand while gradually increasing speed.

I did NOT know if I would be able to turn it off if it went WOT, besides the kill switches.

What startled me was the initial engagement, and sudden accel/then decel/ then accel!
<snip>

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 08:00:50 PM »
Do loud pipes wake Max?

Neither annoying/improper/illegal mufflers nor annoyingly/improperly used high-beams make any difference when I get in that mode.  It is really scary.

Anyway, back to the Rostra cruise....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline skeet

• 2009 Concours 14
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 07:06:47 PM »
Well then I guess I wait until spring to find out if everything works.
Fell asleep on my Honda V45 on the way home from the night shift once felt the bike going over and woke up in time to keep it upright. Needed a change of shorts after that.

sailor_chic

Rostra help please
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 07:22:45 PM »
Hey guys, I have almost completed the install of my Rostra CC, with the exception of passing the diagnostic test. The kicker here is that I cant get past step one. To the best of my knowledge, I have it wired exactly how it should be and my connections are right on. The only difference that I am coming up with is how the brake relay is wired, and I am thinking that this could be part of the issue. Brian and Fred say one way, and Rostra says another way. Regardless, neither way works. The problem that I currently have is the led light inside the actuator is ON once I put it into diagnostic mode, and it should be off.
I have even tried waving the almighty KiPass over the bike, hoping that its magical powers would heal everything, but it didnt help. So I have found one flaw in the KiPass.

Offline B.D.F.

Re: Rostra help please
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 05:16:49 AM »
The brake light relay must 'click' with the brake light activation. That is step one no matter what else. The method shown in the tutorial works- honest.

We will get to the bottom of this and soon, you will be able to sleep while riding down the highway in comfort.... :-)

By the way, I am really suspect that KiPass failed: did you say the incantation correctly and light the two sulfur candles? You cannot expect it to work without the proper accoutrements after all.

Brian

Hey guys, I have almost completed the install of my Rostra CC, with the exception of passing the diagnostic test. The kicker here is that I cant get past step one. To the best of my knowledge, I have it wired exactly how it should be and my connections are right on. The only difference that I am coming up with is how the brake relay is wired, and I am thinking that this could be part of the issue. Brian and Fred say one way, and Rostra says another way. Regardless, neither way works. The problem that I currently have is the led light inside the actuator is ON once I put it into diagnostic mode, and it should be off.
I have even tried waving the almighty KiPass over the bike, hoping that its magical powers would heal everything, but it didnt help. So I have found one flaw in the KiPass.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 05:32:03 AM »
what cc kit and mounting bracket for the switch are people using ??

thanks

sailor_chic

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 06:33:08 AM »
I see that I cant keep the thread that I started asking for help. Mine got merged with an old thread.

Brian, I do have the brake relay wired as per your tutorial.

I cant believe that I forgot the candles while trying for the KiPass cure.

sailor_chic

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 06:37:21 AM »

thanks

Using the Rostra CC unit, available many places: http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=369

And this is the switch bracket that I am using

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 07:00:45 AM »

thanks

I made my own from a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate. I'll take a pic when I get a chance but very easy using a scroll saw. I mounted it on the left side using the top bolt for the grip assemble and easy access with my left thumb.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 09:41:21 AM »
Candles! Candles!....The Mighty Awsome powaah of KIPASS don't need no stinkin' badg candles!  :D