Author Topic: Rostra Wiring  (Read 4311 times)

Offline nxtdoor

Rostra Wiring
« on: July 02, 2011, 10:38:20 AM »
Getting ready to install Rostra Cruise on my 09 Connie. Been reading Brian's install instructions from Murphs site and I find my Rostra unit does not have the Light Green wire that goes to a Black with white dots for the clutch disengage in Brians instructions. I only have the Blue Tach wire on my Rostra unit. Can this be used the same as the Light Green for clutch  engage?

My Rostra also has a connector with a Black/Gray wire set labeled Optional Signal Generator. I assume this is not used since the Connie has the speed sensor.

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

Offline MrFurious

Re: Rostra Wiring
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 01:22:57 PM »
Probably best to double check with Rosta on both accounts.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline PhantomBlade

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 02:21:40 PM »
I have done three installs of this unit and as I recall the green wire was some scrap Brian used, so don't get confused with that. You won't be using the generator feature but rather the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). You will be using the NSS (nuetral safety switch) wire that taps into the clutch wire per Brians instructions. Holler if you need something but if you read his directions ten times then take your time it's a breeze.
2017 C-14 ABS Blue(Duh it's Faster)Rostra Cruise, Area P Full Exhaust, Pathfinder LED headlights, switch backs, Puig Shield,
LIN3 Aux Brake Lights, Seth Laam seat, Garmin 395lm, Phil’s rack, GiVi 56L Maxia  4, 2” risers, T-Rex tip over protection, HJC R-PHA helmet, Scala Rider Pack Talk Bold, and more to come

Offline nxtdoor

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »
Thanks Phantomblade. That's what I needed to know. Between Brians instructions and the rostra wiring diagram, i feel like i have the rest figured out but will keep you in reserve ;D

Jeff

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »
The Rostra has a light green wire coming from the actuator. This is the wire to be used to disengage the unit by pulling in the clutch. Rostra calls this connection the "Neutral Safety Switch" (NSS).

Brian

I have done three installs of this unit and as I recall the green wire was some scrap Brian used, so don't get confused with that. You won't be using the generator feature but rather the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). You will be using the NSS (nuetral safety switch) wire that taps into the clutch wire per Brians instructions. Holler if you need something but if you read his directions ten times then take your time it's a breeze.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 04:08:48 PM »
No, the blue wire and the lt. green wire CANNOT be interchanged. Use the light green wire for the clutch disengagement. In my install I did not use the blue tach wire at all- you have to choose which you want to use, the blue wire as a tach input to monitor engine over speed as a secondary disengagement or the light green wire to the clutch switch as a secondary disengagement. You cannot use both at the same time. My tutorial is based on using the clutch disengagement only, and leaves the blue wire disconnected.

As far as other wires and / or connectors, remember that the Rostra is a universal unit designed to work with many vehicles so there will be wires and connectors left over. It is not a particularly clean and neat installation because of this but you cannot connect any left over wiring to anything on the bike.

Some wires in the Rostra actuator harness (not the switch harness) are cut short and terminate under a wrap of tape. They are all there but some may be 'hiding'. Go back to the connector on the actuator itself and you will see all of the wires are actually present. I am not sure why Rostra cut some wires short but it is like a cheap magician's trick- it looks like some wires just disappear along the way down the harness. Maybe someone at Rostra is still chuckling about this?  :D

Brian

Getting ready to install Rostra Cruise on my 09 Connie. Been reading Brian's install instructions from Murphs site and I find my Rostra unit does not have the Light Green wire that goes to a Black with white dots for the clutch disengage in Brians instructions. I only have the Blue Tach wire on my Rostra unit. Can this be used the same as the Light Green for clutch  engage?

My Rostra also has a connector with a Black/Gray wire set labeled Optional Signal Generator. I assume this is not used since the Connie has the speed sensor.

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline nxtdoor

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 06:34:14 PM »
I'm glad you pointed out the shorter wires in the bundle Brian. I didn't notice them before.

Thanks

Jeff