Author Topic: Rostra help!!!  (Read 4177 times)

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
Rostra help!!!
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
Obviously I am doing something wrong on the brake relay but right now I'm just not seeing it. It appears I am wiring it exactly like BDF's write up over on Murphskit's site but so far, I have tried three different possibilities and have popped three fuses.
Initially, I connected 86 and 87 together and then ran one wire to the blue wire in the brake circuit. Next I looked up the audiovox install and hooked it up like they showed. It was essentially the same only the blue brake wire together with the 87 and 85 and then 86 and 87A went to ground. Finally I split the blue wire with one end going to 87 and the other end going to 86.
If any of this makes any sense and you see what I am doing wrong, please let me know!

Thanks, Matt
I can try to post a few pics if that would help.
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline basmntdweller

Re: Rostra help!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 12:23:06 PM »
Here's a couple pics.
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline jayke

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 05:15:30 PM »
Did you buy the relay from Murph?  Sounds like you have a lighting relay which looks the same but the pin configuration is different.

On the side of the relay is a diagram of what terminals are connected to what.  Can you post what your relay diagram shows?

Did you see this over at Murphs? 
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/docs/tail_light_relay.doc

Don't split the blue brake wire.  It's connected to Pin 30.  The cruise brake wire needs connected to ground to turn on.  The cruise brake wire needs +12 VDC to turn the cruise off.

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
It is a lighting relay I picked up at the local auto parts store. I am guessing there is a difference as the relay I have just has two 87 connections not an 87A.
I don't know how to draw a diagram here on the site but 30 is the switched connection. 85 and 86 are the connections to the solenoid coil. The two 87s are the +12V.
Currently I have it working but not 100% sure it is right.
I connected 86 and 87 to the blue wire as "signal" to trip the relay. When brake is on 30 goes to +12v. 85 goes to ground.
I'd like to compare the schematic of Murphs relay to the one I have. Nothing I have found shows Murphs internal relay schematic.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:43:46 PM »
Just a suggestion but I would not mix the instructions for the Audiovox and Rostra cruise controls. While I am sure both work, there is no reason to do this and it adds an element of uncertainty and confusion.

From the Rostra instructions:
Pin 30 to Violet wire
Pin 85 to to Ground
Pin 86 to Blue wire on the motorcycle (from the brake light)
Pin 87 to Blue wire on the motorcycle (from the brake light)
Pin 87A to Ground

The wires that go to the same place can be connected together wherever you like- on the relay end, on the bike end or even in the middle. It does not matter.

You mention having two #87 pins on the relay- if that is the case, you do not have the correct type of relay. Some folks have tried to use the CC with a four pin relay (as yours is if it has two #87 pins) without success; the Rostra must sense both Ground and 12 Volts positive so the correct relay is a single pole, double throw. A four pin relay is a single pole, single throw. You must have the pin numbers as marked in the instructions; relay pin numbers are an international standard so if you have the correct pin numbers, you have the correct relay and vice- versa.

The wire going from the relay to the Rostra (Violet) MUST show 12 volts when the brake lights are on, and MUST show ground when the brake lights are off. If either state is not connected then the Rostra will not work correctly; either it will not engage, or worse, it will not disengage.

By the way- GREAT job of wiring and using shrink tubing!

Brian (like the Brian that wrote those instructions   ;)  )

Obviously I am doing something wrong on the brake relay but right now I'm just not seeing it. It appears I am wiring it exactly like BDF's write up over on Murphskit's site but so far, I have tried three different possibilities and have popped three fuses.
Initially, I connected 86 and 87 together and then ran one wire to the blue wire in the brake circuit. Next I looked up the audiovox install and hooked it up like they showed. It was essentially the same only the blue brake wire together with the 87 and 85 and then 86 and 87A went to ground. Finally I split the blue wire with one end going to 87 and the other end going to 86.
If any of this makes any sense and you see what I am doing wrong, please let me know!

Thanks, Matt
I can try to post a few pics if that would help.

It is a lighting relay I picked up at the local auto parts store. I am guessing there is a difference as the relay I have just has two 87 connections not an 87A.
I don't know how to draw a diagram here on the site but 30 is the switched connection. 85 and 86 are the connections to the solenoid coil. The two 87s are the +12V.
Currently I have it working but not 100% sure it is right.
I connected 86 and 87 to the blue wire as "signal" to trip the relay. When brake is on 30 goes to +12v. 85 goes to ground.
I'd like to compare the schematic of Murphs relay to the one I have. Nothing I have found shows Murphs internal relay schematic.

Matt
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 07:50:02 PM »
Definitely wrong relay. I knew something didn't look right after I got it working. It doesn't take pin 30 to ground when brake lights are off. It just floats. I need to source the correct relay tomorrow. I really wanted to ride today but this relay headache screwed that up. I have new exhaust, PCV and flies out to test but I wanted everything done before I buttoned it all back up. If I had read your instructions on the install, I would have ordered a relay from Murphs when I ordered the CCS control panel and a new K&N filter.
I only looked at the Audiovox instructions to see if the relay was wired differently there.

Thanks, Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »
Help!. Okay I have the relay wired correctly but I have used it to power the auxillary LED brake light as well as the Rostra brake violet circuit. I am guessing this will not work as the Brake lite stays on after I power on the Rostra and let off the brake. Guess I have to remove that from the circuit...You'd think I had never wired anything in my life GRR. Will I need yet another relay for the strobe/brake lite?
Jeff