Author Topic: Carb sync tool....... Part II  (Read 6009 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Carb sync tool....... Part II
« on: May 13, 2011, 01:23:34 PM »
I posted before about recommendation for one of two carb sync tools I want to get

The Twin Max http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?cart_id=1286449051.43130&pid=582&product=TwinMax and the Morgan carb tune http://www.carbtune.com/ ....

From what I see the Twin max is electronic and requires you to sync carbs 1&2  and the 3&4  and then 1 and 4 ... i think ?  And the Carbtune allows you to attach 4 hoses to the carbs and you can get all four don at the same time.... right?  Both being pretty accurate too. There prices are pretty close, that's not an issue.   

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline concours_to_go

Re: Carb sync tool....... Part II
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 01:50:35 PM »
I posted before about recommendation for one of two carb sync tools I want to get

The Twin Max http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?cart_id=1286449051.43130&pid=582&product=TwinMax and the Morgan carb tune http://www.carbtune.com/ ....

From what I see the Twin max is electronic and requires you to sync carbs 1&2  and the 3&4  and then 1 and 4 ... i think ?  And the Carbtune allows you to attach 4 hoses to the carbs and you can get all four don at the same time.... right?  Both being pretty accurate too. There prices are pretty close, that's not an issue.   

Cheers
Ron
The Twin Max simple and easy to use, and as accurate as you can get, very sensitive, I've had one for years, I can do a complete carb sync in less than 2 minutes. I bought it new for $75 at California Sport Touing, they have a website, google it, I don't care  ;D
NEWBIE...?
I'VE BEEN HERE FOR 10 YEARS

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 01:53:45 PM »
The Twin Max simple and easy to use, and as accurate as you can get, very sensitive, I've had one for years, I can do a complete carb sync in less than 2 minutes. I bought it new for $75 at California Sport Touing, they have a website, google it, I don't care  ;D

Thanks
 ;)
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »
Ive never seen that one before, but the Carbtune is supposed to be great...

Had I known about the other though, Id have gotten one a while back.
I bought a Motion Pro with the blue junk in it and its awful.  Replaced it with a regular mercury filled one, but I dont like the idea of having the mercury with little ones around...might look into the Twin max at some point in the near future and sell the other two.
Say what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
TwinMax rocks, small, portable, extremely sensitive, and all you need to do the job...
Hint: remove the battery from the unit when storing it!!!
the only synch tool I reccomend!!!!

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline dizeldawg

• Jack of all trades, master of none!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 12:43:08 PM »
I have a Carbtune, and I love it. I think I paid around $110 U.S. about 2 yrs ago for it, and it only took about 5 days to arrive from the U.K.

I used to use a homemade "manometer" I made using a yardstick, clear vinyl tubing and some transmission fluid. It worked really good on my EX250, but was a bit of work on a 4cyl bike.

Mike
1971 Honda CB350 (restored)
1985 Yamaha XJ700X
1986 Concours (New to me!)
2004 EX250 Ninja

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 05:57:44 AM »
I have a Carbtune, and I love it. I think I paid around $110 U.S. about 2 yrs ago for it, and it only took about 5 days to arrive from the U.K.

I used to use a homemade "manometer" I made using a yardstick, clear vinyl tubing and some transmission fluid. It worked really good on my EX250, but was a bit of work on a 4cyl bike.

Mike
I use the good ol ATF manometer.  I am thinking an upgrade is in the near future.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 07:38:07 AM »
  Had a Motion Pro but the mercury separated. Not good.  Got a Carbtune. No liquids and very stable. Easy to use.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 11:42:26 AM »
this is for reference only, thier price is wayyy to high.
shop around, you might have best luck as a "walk-in" at your local BMW dealer, they seem to carry them exclusively, and that's where I got mine, it was about 5 years back but I paid $82 o.t.d.
http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?pid=582

this unit seems a bit bigger, and is an obvious knockoff of the original, but it does have a 12v battery attachment requirement...
http://www.amazon.com/TecMate-TS-111-CarbMate-Synchronizer/dp/B0022XTDQA/ref=pd_sxp_f_r/176-1330806-8095036

never held or used one tho, so I cannot comment on functionality, it uses led's for meter, the twin max is analog "needle meter" which is very sensitive and seems accurate...just saying...

Offline Raycad

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 01:22:42 PM »
I have the Twinmax. On the Connie, I use an aquarium air distribution manifold with three outlets and a valve on each one. One of the two vacuum hoses of the Twinmax is connected to #2 carb., (the master non adjustable carb.) and the other hose to the inlet of the air manifold. The three outlets of the manifold are then connected to #1, #3 and #4 carbs. Easy to sync. #1 to #2, #3 to #2 and then #4 to #2 just by opening and closing the appropriate valves!

Ray
Raymond Cadieux, Québec, Canada - 2005 Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »
you are defeating the accuracy of the tool, by it's intrinsic simplicty, adding invariables of unknown valving and flow of said valve. all you need is the tool, and 2 slip on rubber plugs. synch 2, stop the engine, swap the hoses and plugs, synch the other 2, stop, swap and do the final.

the one reason i love the twin max is that it is a comparitor between 2 sources, when you add in the valve, and the possibilty of variations internal to the valve, all bets are off.
I have a bunch of those valves, I had almost 800 gallons of aquariums at one point. I would not rely on them to flow equally.