Author Topic: Stupid is as stupid does  (Read 33691 times)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Re: Stupid is as stupid does
« Reply #200 on: October 02, 2020, 11:15:04 PM »
Thanks.......I just invested another hour of my life watching videos of trucks hitting that bridge.   :'(

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #201 on: October 03, 2020, 05:12:32 AM »
Thanks.......I just invested another hour of my life watching videos of trucks hitting that bridge.   :'(

:rotflmao:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #202 on: October 03, 2020, 05:30:26 AM »

LOL!  Me too!  I don't know why I found it so interesting.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #203 on: October 03, 2020, 06:10:55 AM »
No point in putting signs or detectors farther back. The stoopids won't see those either.
Their best bet would be to fit serrated teeth to the bridge instead.  :rotflmao:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2020, 04:53:28 AM »
Maybe they need to invest in one of those contraptions you see at rental places at airports.  You know, the ones with the teeth that cause the tires to puncture.  It be better to have punctured tires than a damaged railroad bridge or the top of a truck sheared off.  Of course, it would not stop the entertainment value as the morons driving those over height vehicles would come to a complete stop after the saw blades shredded the tires.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2020, 08:32:48 AM »
I think they did put in a 'bridge protector'. It is not serrated but it is pretty stout and more than a match for most things on most vehicles that tall. Sure there could be the occasional piece of heavy equipment traveling by trailer but those people are smarter than the average bear.

That bridge has its own website: 11foot8.com

Brian

No point in putting signs or detectors farther back. The stoopids won't see those either.
Their best bet would be to fit serrated teeth to the bridge instead.  :rotflmao:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2020, 11:51:45 AM »
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2020, 02:37:57 PM »
Maybe they need to invest in one of those contraptions you see at rental places at airports.  You know, the ones with the teeth that cause the tires to puncture.  It be better to have punctured tires than a damaged railroad bridge or the top of a truck sheared off.  Of course, it would not stop the entertainment value as the morons driving those over height vehicles would come to a complete stop after the saw blades shredded the tires.

But they could get under the bridge if their tires were flat. Kudos on your problem solving skills, Jim.

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #208 on: October 05, 2020, 09:05:03 PM »
For even more time-wasting, here's one of my favorite collision videos, the F-4 Phantom jet into the concrete block at 480 MPH.  Nuthin' but dust:

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=f-4+phantom+jet+into+concrete+barrier&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRZjhxuhTmGk

Getting paid to do this kind of stuff is my dream job, but I guess I am just not qualified to push the big red button (I'd actually do it for free).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #209 on: October 06, 2020, 05:47:12 AM »
But they could get under the bridge if their tires were flat. Kudos on your problem solving skills, Jim.

Didn't think of that aspect.... :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #210 on: October 08, 2020, 02:14:33 PM »
"any of you have the job of cleaning up a drive in movie theater at three in the morning?"

I did when I was a teenager. You are correct in your description of the clean up. I learned quickly not to venture near the back rows.  :D
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2020, 09:39:25 AM »
"any of you have the job of cleaning up a drive in movie theater at three in the morning?"

I did when I was a teenager. You are correct in your description of the clean up. I learned quickly not to venture near the back rows.  :D

So you must of had help then, I didn't. Back rows had less light but twice the "stuff". Still, you have my condolences for that part of your life.

Every once in awhile they'd have an all night spaghetti western marathon, I actually got to sleep in and go clean up at 9 AM. Apparently westerns
do not inspire protected love making nor baby poop, it was always the easiest cleanup despite the improved lighting showing every little piece of litter that
was surely missed during the night time cleanings.

Offline Nosmo

« Reply #212 on: October 09, 2020, 10:56:56 AM »
My first real tax-paying job was working for a janitorial service.  One of my jobs was cleaning a restaurant after-hours.  While certainly not as bad as what the drive-in theater guys are describing, if you ever had to clean a restaurant kitchen, you'd really, really think twice about eating in a restaurant again.  I certainly never went to THAT place to eat.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #213 on: October 12, 2020, 03:22:48 AM »
I used to work in an American themed bar in Brussels, Belgium. Owner was American, staff were mostly American or British, customers were about 50% American/British/Australian/South African/New Zealander and the other 50% Belgian and a mix of every nationality under the sun.

After one particularly long night (we didn't close until 06:00 sometimes) I went to clean the toilets and found someone had punched a hole in the drywall.
On closer investigation I saw something unexpected in the gap so went to get a flashlight. In between the drywall and the outside brick wall there were 100's of needles. It turns out druggies had been using our bathrooms to shoot up, then standing on the toilet to drop their used needles over the top of the drywall where there was a gap between it and the ceiling.

The owner went batsh!t when he found out. He was very anti-drug.
We ended up with the drug squad placing cameras outside and inside the bar (no, not in the bathrooms) and then one night they pounced and arrested 15 people. 4 went to jail for dealing and the rest got busted for possession. After that the druggies seemed to move on to another bar.
We ended up with Stainless steel sheet walls and ceiling in the bathrooms and very bright lights.
Cleaning out those needles was a job I was dreading but the drug squad did it for us so they could do forensic tests.  ;D

On some nights cleaning the toilets made me  :pukeface:. Often the women's toilets were the worst!
Some people just need putting out of our misery!
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #214 on: October 12, 2020, 09:48:25 AM »
On some nights cleaning the toilets made me  :pukeface:. Often the women's toilets were the worst!
Some people just need putting out of our misery!

Misogynistic ALARM GOING OFF NOW!     (easy Boomer, I'm just joking)

Before I was elevated in my career path to Drive-in-Theater grounds maintenance, I worked at an urban gas station.
All too often it was my turn to clean the restrooms, much less preferred than changing oil. I agree the Ladies room was much worse.
In a more rural environment the bathrooms are mostly used for what they were intended to be used for because the users are
usually many miles from their own bathrooms. However in the city most are not that far from their own bathrooms
and thus they get used more for stuff that they were not intended for...sex, illegal drug administering and sales, blood and
knife/gunshot wound cleanup, emergency underwear removal because of unintended fecal matter release while driving...etc. Why they usually
went to the ladies room for these things I'll never know. The men's room? While initially cleaner looking upon entering, soon
after entering the men's room the smell of urine was overwhelming. Apparently the majority of guys don't or can't aim very well.  ::)  ???

Offline Conrad

« Reply #215 on: December 03, 2020, 07:00:00 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/02/us/washington-flashlights-car-trnd/index.html

Driver busted for using flashlights as headlights on his car

A driver in Washington was pulled over after police noticed the headlights on his car had been replaced by flashlights.

A Washington State Patrol officer pulled over a motorist on I-90 near North Bend early Monday morning after seeing the vehicle with "super dim" headlights, WSP officer Rick Johnson told CNN.

Flashlights were used to replace the headlights on the motorist's vehicle.

Upon inspection, the officer realized that the headlights on the car had been replaced by flashlights, which is illegal in the state as it does not meet the lumen requirements, Johnson said.

The car appears to have noticeable damage to the front of the car and the headlights seem to have fallen or broken off. The lights were running out of power, and the motorist was driving on a suspended license, according to Johnson.

"I don't know of any car manufacturer that duct tapes flashlights to the front of their cars upon sale," Johnson said. "But you know, I guess this is 2020, right?"

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #216 on: December 03, 2020, 09:17:40 AM »
That's funny, I've seen that before, I've also seen a car with mini space saver spares on all four corners, thats' more of a cultural statement than anything else though. I laugh but not too much because I will always have a job because of people like this. ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #217 on: December 03, 2020, 03:08:28 PM »
The car appears to have noticeable damage to the front of the car and the headlights seem to have fallen or broken off. The lights were running out of power, and the motorist was driving on a suspended license, according to Johnson."

And, of course, with no insurance.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #218 on: February 27, 2021, 08:29:31 AM »
Quick-thinking Roscoe businessman protects elderly couple from scam

ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — A Roscoe shipping store owner intercepted a fraudulent money transfer last year, and says he’s seen multiple customers nearly fall victim to scams.

Marshall Barkley owns Roscoe Pack and Mail, at 5062 Rockrose Ct, says yesterday someone posed as an officer from the Milwaukee Police Department and told an elderly couple from Beloit that their granddaughter was being detained because she was involved in illegal activity.

The fraudster asked for $8,000 in cash for her release.

The concerned couple tried to wire the money at Barkley’s shop, but he said he realized something wasn’t right.

“I went to the back. I opened it up and it was a magazine and it was completely full of $100 bills. It was a total of $8,000 they were shipping,” he said.

Barkley said he stopped the couple from sending the cash and called the police.

In the past year, he said someone tried wiring $9,000 in a scam.

Dennis Horton of the Better Business Bureau, says that scam is known as “The Grandparent’s Scam,” and says the criminals are professionals who hunt for those who will provide them with sensitive personal information that can be used against them.

“Or they don’t use a name at all, they simply say, ‘hi, this is your grandson or granddaughter who is calling, and you, ‘oh hello, Johnny,’ how are ya? And they say, ‘oh I’m fine.’ Well, you’ve already given them the name of your grandchild,” Horton warns.

Horton says if you receive a phone call from an unrecognized number, don’t engage with the caller.

Scams can be reported to the BBB’s Scam Tracker service, which are reported weekly to local police.

Roscoe Police Chief Jamie Evans said authorities get reports of scams all the time, and believes training could help cut down on the number of victims.

“I think we need more people like the Pack and Mail, more companies like that, to do a training for [other businesses] to educate their employees [on what to look for],” she said.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #219 on: February 27, 2021, 08:58:27 AM »
Glad someone was looking out for them..