Author Topic: I will not run away  (Read 17184 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
I will not run away
« on: December 14, 2012, 12:51:18 PM »
Happened again. Massacre in school, as I'm hearing it right now, a whole class of kindergarteners is dead, along with 8 adults. On the heels of the Clakamas mall shooting.

Kindergateners. This is cowardice of the highest order. My heart is broken for the families stripped of their greatest hope, their children.

I have made a decision that IF I'm ever in a situation like this, I'm not running away. I'm running to. If this is the "new world" then all of us men need to step up and protect our families and kids - ALL families and kids, not just our own. If men nationwide step up and say "enough" at least, as a society, we're finding a way to combat this senseless violence. I'm not special, there are millions of us. We need to understand the power we have together. it starts with "I will not run away". Steve

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: I will not run away
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 01:14:08 PM »
Unfortunately with the mindset today (promoted by the publik skool system) running to it we become the bad guys and the real bad guys become the victims.
Come to think of it the actual bad guys are the ones turning our kids minds to mush.
Its a shame what happened today but the media wackos have alreadyturned it into political fodder, calling the need for more gun control.
To me, gun control is never having to say, "I missed you".
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »
I cannot wait to hear the lame a** excuse for why this fool thought he had to shoot 4 and 5 year old children.
The current society propagated by liberals has created monsters like this. When I was in school we never heard of stuff like this happening because IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. These kids did nothing to deserve this kind of punishment.
I hope this guy burns in hell for this. I just wish we could identify idiots like this ahead of time so we could exterminate them before they mature. Allowing teachers and staff to be armed would surely do more good than stripping the law abiding american citizen of their 2nd amendment rights. 
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline KawiG

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »
Very Very Sad! I have owned guns all my life and have never shot anyone. This is a very strong example of what happens when a gunman shows up and starts shooting. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away. Our founders solved this problem many years ago.
Live Fast and Ride Free, when we're no longer free....Ride Fast.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 02:03:41 PM »
Incredibly sad. I can't even express myself.  :'(
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 03:51:21 PM »
Very sad day.  Thank God I live in Texas where, if I run into the fight, and I'm righteous, I'm likely legally ok.  Frankly, I can live with getting legally screwed if I saved a life.  I don't think I can live with feeling that lives were lost because I was hiding under a table.

We allow Brinks drivers protecting cash to carry guns.  But we pen up our most prized commodity into "gun free" zones and then pull the teeth of the few sheep dogs protecting them. 

Gun control?  Arm and train teachers.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 04:15:41 PM »
After the Virginia campus shootings several years ago our school district did an incredible thing, they got rid of the school resource officers because they said they couldn't justify the expense. I would rethink that idea again if I were them. This kind of thing is happening WAY too often.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 04:21:03 PM »

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 04:37:52 PM »
Amen to all. I heard "Mr." Obama speaking today and calling for action on this and I'm thinking "BOHICA". One armed adult could have stopped that.
2014 C-14 Red

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 05:42:24 PM »
--Snip---One armed trained adult could have stopped that.
FIFY.  %100

Offline booger

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 05:59:30 PM »
Steve,  I adopted that policy probably 25+ years ago.  If I perceive potential problems in parking lots, malls, public events, etc., I simply position myself between the potential perps and my family and start walking directly toward them.  I also bulldoze myself over these baggy pants maggots in the malls.  I simply refuse to be intimidated by the likes of these punks.  I have had my ass kicked a couple of times.  But I have busted more heads than the whuppings I received.

The way I see it, it would be a shame to have a family member or innocent people injured.  It would be a tragedy if you didn't die trying to prevent it.

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »
My heart is broken for all those families and their loss. Praying that God will provide strength and comfort to them. I'm also angry at how the libs are going to grandstand this for their gun control agenda.

I'm in Steve. I will run to, not away, if there is a chance I can save a life. My Christmas present from my wife this year is a concealed carry class and carry permit. I am also looking into some additional training above what is required.
2004 C10 RIP

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »
I'm so sickened by the thought of the cowardice of this 'person' that I can't even put it to words.
My heart goes out to the families of the victims.
Very sad day.  Thank God I live in Texas where, if I run into the fight, and I'm righteous, I'm likely legally ok.  Frankly, I can live with getting legally screwed if I saved a life.  I don't think I can live with feeling that lives were lost because I was hiding under a table.

We allow Brinks drivers protecting cash to carry guns.  But we pen up our most prized commodity into "gun free" zones and then pull the teeth of the few sheep dogs protecting them. 

Gun control?  Arm and train teachers.

I wholeheartedly agree.  I'm going to use the Brinks example when some anti gun starts flapping their mouth.
My son just showed me a post on Reddit of a school outing in Israel.  There's a parent following behind with a rifle slung over her shoulder.   That's how to do it!    (sorry, I don't know how to link)

I'm a farmer/rancher.  When a bear gets one of my calves I get rid of the problem before he does it again and I kick myself for not tending to the problem before it was a problem.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the world is full of wolves and sheep.  I'll do anything I can to protect my beloved sheep from the wolves that lurk behind every bush.  I just wish the Gov. and do-gooders would let me do my job.
I wish someone could have protected these little lambs before this awful wolf got ahold of them!

Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 05:34:09 AM »
Absolutely, Connie1.  There are a ton of sheep in the world, and a lot more wolves than sheep dogs.  We need more sheep dogs.  I hope I never had to deal with a wolf, but if I do, I'll sure give it my best.

here's the pic you referenced.

http://i.imgur.com/Ts1So.jpg
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 06:30:42 AM »
I'm so sickened by the thought of the cowardice of this 'person' that I can't even put it to words.
My heart goes out to the families of the victims. 
I wholeheartedly agree.  I'm going to use the Brinks example when some anti gun starts flapping their mouth.
My son just showed me a post on Reddit of a school outing in Israel.  There's a parent following behind with a rifle slung over her shoulder.   That's how to do it!    (sorry, I don't know how to link)

I'm a farmer/rancher.  When a bear gets one of my calves I get rid of the problem before he does it again and I kick myself for not tending to the problem before it was a problem.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the world is full of wolves and sheep.  I'll do anything I can to protect my beloved sheep from the wolves that lurk behind every bush.  I just wish the Gov. and do-gooders would let me do my job.
I wish someone could have protected these little lambs before this awful wolf got ahold of them!

Absolutely, Connie1.  There are a ton of sheep in the world, and a lot more wolves than sheep dogs.  We need more sheep dogs.  I hope I never had to deal with a wolf, but if I do, I'll sure give it my best.

here's the pic you referenced.

http://i.imgur.com/Ts1So.jpg

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=11692.0
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
That's it.  Thanks, Conrad.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline ARS

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »
Too sad for words.  If you took a super magnet and sucked up all of the guns in the world and melted them down, we still be stuck with evil people in the world and they'd find another tool to do their deeds.  Why is it when these atrocities happen rarely do we hear of the "sheepdog" coming to the rescue?. . .
. . .because in the rare cases where it does happen it gets buried and twisted such as the Virginia Tech shootings where ~280 newspapers didn't mention that 2 students ran to there cars to get their guns to finally put a stop to the killings.  Only 4 papers mentioned it!!  If you're anti-gun it goes against your grain to credit guns for saving lives.
Train the teachers (the stable ones) and arm them so the can open carry.
For those who carry and are properly trained, you carry not to protect just yourself, but to protect others.  Run towards the evil.

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 07:07:15 PM »
And give credit to the unarmed teachers holed up in storage rooms or bathrooms with their students...after the shooting had stopped...when the police knocked on those doors and said "Police, it's OK to come out"...the teachers said "NO!  Prove to me you are the police!"  True defenders of a belief will fight with whatever they have at hand...and, while they had no weapons to battle the intruder, they didn't just unlock the doors...they went all the way to protect their students...they deserve the highest praise...my heart is broken by what happened first...and, yet, lifted by what happened second...and, to all the victims, families, responders, and all those affected by this horrible act...I will pray for each and every one of you.
'02 C-10

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 01:35:05 AM »
In 1993 I was given the responsibility of developing a school emergency plan for a high school with a student and staff population of over 900.

More than once I found myself thinking about the reluctance of the automotive industry to put in effective safety devices. They didn't want to scare the public into thinking cars were unsafe and just wanted to sell the smiles. I met with more than a few people who didn't really think an emergency plan for a school should go much beyond fire drills so that everyone could be happy in their belief that schools would never be a target or that it couldn't happen "here".

I quickly learned to start my conversations and presentations with the declaration that our school was a safe place based on incident reports and stakeholder interviews.

But .... we needed to consider worse case scenarios. One of the questions raised was who do you open the door for after a lockdown or emergency situation. That young teacher who was protectiong her students in a washroom did everything right in demanding proof and more proof.

I know in every school there are teachers and staff who would do all they could to protect their students from harm. The recognition of threats and the planned response is proven once again to save lives. From that perspective the planning worked.....but there is a terrible price to pay to find that out.

Having been in a few situations and having had to consider many others I have an idea how I will react and work to protect and help both myself and others.

Steve, that makes at least two of us!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 06:25:01 AM »
"I will not run away" is a developed mindset. While it's always been my personality to run to a bad event in the hopes I can help, I have to say that I never considered what I'd do in an "active shooter" situation. As of the latest shootings, my family has sat down and worked up plans of action. If we have a plan, we're not left standing. wondering what to do. My wife and daughters' plan includes taking cover, escape, hiding, etc, depending on their circumstance at that moment. Mine is to run to the problem. I'll asess as I go, but I'm going. We're training our minds, that's all. Like not applying brakes on ice, sometimes your training has to overcome your immediate reaction. I'm glad to see others feel the same as I do, it IS what I expected. We need to get the word out with our friends that our strength is in our numbers, and acting as a cohesive element to protect others. And I pray that I'm never faced with having to act on this, or that anyone ever has to. Steve