Author Topic: cooling/fan questions  (Read 2790 times)

Offline SaturationDyes

Re: cooling/fan questions
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 08:57:23 PM »
Bringing up an old topic. My 2002 fan isn’t working. I made a bullet style connector and went from red/white wire to the blue/white wire on the fan switch in the left side of the back of the radiator and the fan started right up. Does this mean my fan switch is bad? I have another bike can I test the fan switch? Meaning can I check to see if that one is good before I pull it and swap it into my bike? 

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2020, 01:41:16 AM »
Bringing up an old topic. My 2002 fan isn’t working. I made a bullet style connector and went from red/white wire to the blue/white wire on the fan switch in the left side of the back of the radiator and the fan started right up. Does this mean my fan switch is bad? I have another bike can I test the fan switch? Meaning can I check to see if that one is good before I pull it and swap it into my bike?
Yup, fan switch dead.
If the other bike runs, start it and wait to see if the fan comes on.
You'll have to get it up to nearly midway on the temp gauge before the fans will kick in.
Alternatively you could just buy a new fan switch.
Murphs does them for $63 https://murphskits.com/oem-fan-switch/
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 08:58:07 AM »
yup. bad fan switch. while you are in there, id recommend wiring in a bypass manual switch if/when it it goes out again. i have it in the fairing to the left of the triple trees down.

first road trip i made on the C10 fan switch dies on the blue ridge had to hotwire the fan for the last leg of it. worked but sucked.

I replaced mine with a honda civic one.  1991 civic DX.  causes fan to coem on around 220 or so but its been in my bike for 3 years, zero issues.  Or, go with Murphs.

as long as you dont open the radiator cap, you can swap the switch out pretty fast and not lose more than a drop or 2 of coolant.

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2020, 09:05:41 AM »
I also added the extra switch to one of my C-10's.
But (after a oops) I included a relay so that I couldn't accidentally leave the switch on and drain the battery.

To check your switch, you could read the Ohm's, and then add heat to it.
As you heat the switch, it will activate and you will have continuity.
Hot water would work for the heat or a heat gun.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline SaturationDyes

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2020, 10:06:06 PM »
Ok thank you guys. Always helpful. Can I just add a switch into the jumper wire I made and bypass the switch all together. Basically making it a manual switch. I know the issue with that is I could forget to turn it off and drain the battery. But I don’t feel like spending the money right now. 

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2020, 10:51:43 PM »
stock fan is pretty loud, hard to miss if its off with bike not running. yes you can add a switch to the jumper.
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...