Author Topic: Extended oil change interval  (Read 831 times)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Extended oil change interval
« on: November 12, 2020, 01:00:04 PM »
It has been a year since I changed my engine oil and filter. I have only ridden 2100 miles since. But all my rides are at least 30 mins long. Can I safely extend the oil and filter change to next summer?

Currently I have regular oil, mobil 5000, 10w40 in it.

Offline greenie

• Arena
Re: Extended oil change interval
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 01:36:33 PM »
My bike is stored in a heated garage - no temperature swings or condensation problems. The oil in the crankcase is almost as protected as it would be in the bottle it came out of.
I never saw the point of changing oil in the fall although it is sometimes recommended. I'm not going to be riding much if at all for the next 4 months - I'll change mine early in the spring and start fresh . Since you are at a year now why not change it at the start of the riding season? 

Offline works4me

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 02:10:26 PM »
To DC’s question: yes, if you continue to ride it as you have been.

To greenie: never store an engine for extended periods with
contaminated, used oil in it. The residuals in suspension will
settle and cause problems. ( sludge, corrosion, etc. )

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 02:33:26 PM »
Thanks guys. I feel guilty but the oil is basically new. Hard habit to break-- Changing oil every year.

I just do not know when I start getting sludge and closing the passages.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 04:34:12 AM »
oil and filter are cheap.  If it's enough to worry about then change it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 05:01:36 AM »
I change oil & oil filter whenever the odometer hits 5k and I do the valves and sync the carbs every 10k so Otto is due an oil and oil filter change, plus valves and carb sync in just over 1000 miles when he hits 200k miles. I will also be changing the Final drive oil and checking/cleaning/replacing the air filter as needed. The Final Drive oil gets done every 20k miles as well as a new air filter. The 5k-10k-20k is easier to remember than 6k miles oil & filter and 18k miles Final drive oil that are the recommended service intervals. Valve clearance checks every 6k and carb sync every 3k are overkill IMHO.

In the winter, if I'm not riding regularly, then I start the motor at least once every 2 weeks and once warmed up I let it idle until the fans kick on. That keeps everything in decent condition. The bike is always connected to a battery tender when not being ridden. We don't have super cold winters here so I generally ride at least once every other weekend or so through the winter.

If you want to be super cautious, then change it annually, but I think yer wasting perfectly good oil.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK