Author Topic: Bolt/nut substitutions  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Guinness

Bolt/nut substitutions
« on: January 16, 2014, 12:27:53 PM »
I ordered a bolt and nut to replace one on the bike.  Ron Ayers shipped a different bolt (92154-1296) and nut (92015-1432), stating that Kawasaki has a different bolt/nut combination for the application.  A search of the nut part number shows it goes to a KLR/KLX/KX bike, and there's no record at all of the new bolt part number.  No other on-line part supplier has these part numbers listed for the Concours.  The new bolt is 2mm shorter than the original (48mm vs 50mm). How can I be sure from Kawasaki if these new parts are certified for the Concours?

Thanks for any advice 
2010 Concours ABS

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
Re: Bolt/nut substitutions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 01:02:46 PM »
my advice would be to help us help you by telling us where do this bolt and nut fit in the bike. Maybe those 2 mm are irrelevant, maybe they make a massive difference  :(

In any case, I think they supplied you with the closest product they had, perhaps to sell you something, whether you need it or not, or they really wanted to get you out of your momentary problem.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 01:39:03 PM »
I specify exactly what part number I want from most places, ron ayers included...
I assume this is a bolt used in the upper cowling, the shorter one they substituted is used on a 2014 zx1400 Ninja.

the 50mm long bolt is actually 92154-1877, and is used on the ZG1400,  it also has showing a supercession p/n of 92154-1348 which is 53mm lg...

the nut is a nut. but the nut that is used on the ZG cowl brkt is actually p/n 92210-0325 and is a 8mm cap nut

use the Kawasaki site for finding part numbers
http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strContentURL=/Site/VIVehicleInformation/VIepc.asp?intCatalogID%3d2%26CatalogTypeID%3d4%26ProductTypeID%3d8%26ModelMarketingID%3d453%26ModelCode%3dZG1400CAF%26ModelYear%3d2010%26SHOWVEHTABS%3d1

as Martin notes, telling us what parts works better than making us guess, when we have to guess, we start out by asking what color is your bike.... ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 03:25:42 PM »
Fair enough; thanks for the replies.  [2010 w/ABS, blue  ;) ] The bolt and nut I actually specified and ordered were 92153-1877 (8 x 50mm flanged bolt) and 92210-0325 (8mm nut).  There are two of them, and they hold the upper cowling bracket to the frame.  If you look on any body else's Upper Cowling fiche (other than Ron Ayers) it shows that the bolt has now been supersceded by part 92154-1348, which is a 53mm flanged bolt (which they sent).  all fiches I've seen still show the 92210-0325 nut.  When I emailed Ron Ayers they had sent the wrong part they replied:

" The substitution parts are done by Kawasaki as a service  replacement.  Part number 92210-0325 is no longer available.  The new nut (92015-1432 ) also included  a new matching bolt part number 92154-1296."

They also sent the 48mm bolts.  So what I have now is two 48mm bolts, one 50mm bolt (OEM), one 53mm bolt, and two 8mm nuts.  Again, my concern is I don't see anything from Kawasaki that these nuts go with any of the bolts (even though they're all 8mm with the right thread pattern). Are there any service bulletins available to the public to show this?

Thanks. 
2010 Concours ABS

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 08:30:53 AM »
I know this wont help much, but the bolts the manufacturers use change part numbers often.  99% of the time its because the color changed. Maybe a different supplier? It gets confusing, but I would not rule out using a fastener if it looked like it was the right size, and length.

Yamaha did this on my dirt bike.  EVERY bolt associated to the frame and engine assembly changed. The reason was because they went from a black color to a zinc color.   It made it  a lot of fun to order and work with.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 08:58:20 AM »
On a side note, if the FOB battery is fresh I bet it'd have been fine missing that nut  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Guinness

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 09:18:16 AM »
On a side note, if the FOB battery is fresh I bet it'd have been fine missing that nut  ;D

Interesting side note; I needed these pieces because a dealer that did some repair work after an accident (pickup truck making u-turn in front of me) assembled everything and left one of the two upper cowling mounting bolts completely out, and the other bolt didn't even have the nut on it. I was real lucky that the bolt that was in there didn't back out. And for those of you who would wonder "why doesn't he take it back to the dealer?", my wife and I are now on the road, permanently touring the US as long as we physically can, with our Connie and RV. The dealer is now 1,700 miles away, and I'd rather correct mistakes like this myself than leave it to the people that made them in the first place anyway.

And I'm sure the only reason we didn't have a disaster (with only one un-secured bolt holding everything together) is because of KiPass and my fresh fob battery.   ;D
2010 Concours ABS