Author Topic: Rear tire turning resistance  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Bobby Mc

Rear tire turning resistance
« on: January 28, 2019, 12:46:12 PM »
Hey i just purchased a really clean 2010 with just 12,000 miles. I got it on the center stand and im woundering how much resistance the rear tire should have to spin. My other bikes are chain and i understand the shaft drive will have more, but although i can't tell you the exact inch lbs of force it takes to spin it, but there is a little more than i expected. It wont just "spin" with a little tug,  but it does turn smooth with no noise or roughness. Smooth, just pretty firm. Does this sound normal ? Is there any guide / spec for any preload or anything ?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Rear tire turning resistance
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 10:25:57 AM »
It's not going to free wheel as such but to be sure you may want to either pry the rear pads away from the rotor or just take off the caliper and check it then.  With the gear box in neutral it should spin freely.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 11:35:56 AM »
Have you tried the front yet?
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Bobby Mc

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 06:33:52 AM »
Good idea to check the caliper, I will do that. I'm working my way to the back with my normal practically tear down of any used bike I buy to thoroughly deep clean and assess. The front wheel turns freely. I bet its just normal, I'm just not used to a shaft. She far thoug Love the bike. But boy is that air filters pain to get to !!

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 07:49:23 AM »
But boy is that air filters pain to get to !!

True enough. But just wait until you adjust the valves!
Welcome to the site.
2010 C14 ABS

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 08:04:38 AM »
It's probably normal.  8)
The bodywork gets easier with practice. The air filter seems to clog soon around here. Bugs and all... I use a K&N, and have only had to buy one filter. I'm pleased.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Bobby Mc

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 09:54:32 AM »
It's going to dealer for valves. I'm not even going to attemp that. I usually put a K&N filter in everything right off the bat. But for now I put a Highflow Filtro one in because it's got a Two Brothers exhaust on it and apparently no Power Comander or anything ( no sticker on the ECM as I think most re-flash'ers usually do ). So since pre-oxygen sensor model I was a little afraid of putting in in a little of a lean mixture. Probably wouldn't be too extreme but soon I will be doing the reflash and then I will have them do it for it with the muffler and K&N and then I will go K&N. But with the front inlet scoops which always gets a in more debris, ( I had two Bee's) and the filter not being at all that big ( my VFR800's filter is twice the size ) It would be nice for it to be easer to get to. But I understand a little as it seems the frame was designed with the KZ1400 ( or is it ZX1400 I forgot exactly ) sportbike ..and with scoops they just had to probably do what they could making th Concours around that frame. But that really don't explain the kinda small filter.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 03:39:15 PM »
the filter is actually sized well for this engines needs, and unless you ride in extremely dusty conditions, a "normal" (a I have seen during replacement) interval, coincides with the valve adjust intervals well..
also, the filter you chose, is a good filter, and I personally would continue using that exact same one, it's cost effective, compared to OEM, and works.
I've used K&N in all my bikes, but I won't on this one, even tho I know how to "correctly" oil them all... the K&N for the zx/zg 1400's, comes pre-oiled... o never add oil when it' "new".. you will have issues, and a messy air box...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 08:33:20 PM »
the filter you chose, is a good filter, and I personally would continue using that exact same one, it's cost effective, compared to OEM, and works.

https://www.amazon.com/Hiflofiltro-HFA2916-Premium-Replacement-Filter/dp/B005DUM9MO

This one?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Bobby Mc

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 09:51:36 AM »
Yea that's the one I got. I have put that brand filters in other bikes with seemingly good results.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 03:04:46 PM »
Yea that's the one I got. I have put that brand filters in other bikes with seemingly good results.

Thanks, I added to my list of things to buy when I EVER get around to having a first major service on the bike (valves, cam sensor O ring, coolant flush, air filter, etc).  At least I finally replaced the hydraulic fluids a few months ago...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 06:13:59 PM »
Sheesh...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BadgerApaches

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 09:51:26 AM »
As others noted, pull the rear caliper, pads. Clean up around the pistons so they can clear the disc when off the brake. Bleed.

There is a complete vid on YouTube of shaft/ spline R&R, fresh grease etc....

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 10:20:53 AM »
Thanks, I added to my list of things to buy when I EVER get around to having a first major service on the bike (valves, cam sensor O ring, coolant flush, air filter, etc).  At least I finally replaced the hydraulic fluids a few months ago...

How do you sleep at night Max?
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 03:34:32 PM »
How do you sleep at night Max?

Who knows.  I guess I am taking my life for granted every time I get on that thing.