Author Topic: Heading to Hickory NC on June 03......  (Read 4548 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Heading to Hickory NC on June 03......
« on: May 28, 2011, 04:19:19 PM »
and all day Saturday my girlfriend and I will be in the mountains.  Anything in the area that is a MUST see?  Hickory in about 3 hoursish from Deals gap (Tail of the Dragon). I hope to make it there on our outing.  Any advise or things to bring?  We will be driving in from Raleigh NC about 3 Hours due east of Hickory.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline gpzrocker

Re: Heading to Hickory NC on June 03......
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »
Depends on how you roll and what you know. 321 will take you up to Boone, the Parkway will take you to 226A, 80, 181 is in there too. I can PM you the route that I did this weekend, all curves from 80. You can roll out to Hot Springs (motorcycle town) at the end of the route, 62 from there to Leisester (spelling). To put it simply, you can never make it to Deals and still have a good time, if you are all about riding.  Warning: some of these routes will wear you out, and are very very curve intensive.  You don't see Deals Gaps store on these routes.

Sightseeing is a different story. More sightseeing, lets look at 74A, 9, I have a great route on this, works better for a heavier bike. BRP is just fantastic for me, and can work a loop for you. But 74a/9 is lowland, heat can be a factor.

That Sunday is Thunder Sunday at Mountain Groove Baptist between of Hickory and Morganton. I will have a cool route out from there for all riders. PM me for details. Hundreds of bikes show up, very interesting church service.

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 10:39:47 PM »
But if you have never been to Deals, the Store is something to see, and good to eat at. Plus you can get official stickers/shirts there.

For pics on the bike 80 has Blind Kenny alot closer than the gap and they are shooting better pics than they did last year. For example two weeks ago:

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 10:42:01 PM »
Oh, and pack water. Never know when you need it. And keep 100 miles of gas in the tank for being careful.

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 08:55:58 AM »
I plan on heading out to Deals Gap and the surrounding area June 15 (mid week less traffic hopefully) and a friend sent me some links to some good day rides around deals gap.  I can send you the links if you want them.
...and a good time was had by all.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 02:02:51 PM »
Dang guys, that would be great.   :chugbeer:
Anything would be appreciated.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »
Sightseeing is a different story. More sightseeing, lets look at 74A, 9, I have a great route on this, works better for a heavier bike. BRP is just fantastic for me, and can work a loop for you. But 74a/9 is lowland, heat can be a factor.

Well my g/f said if it's real hot she might like to sight see.  She does not know where we are going it's kinda of a surprise. 
09 Connie

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »
http://www.openroadjourney.com/loadroute.asp?rid=4630

http://www.openroadjourney.com/loadroute.asp?rid=4629

Apprently you have to log in to get step by step directions but you can zoom in to get the roads. 

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 03:14:12 AM »
A couple of good rides for sure, altbeit on the far side for Hickory.

You have PM, I know which way to go depending on weather. It's gonna be a loooooooong day though, start early!

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 01:19:49 PM »
You have PM, I know which way to go depending on weather. It's gonna be a loooooooong day though, start early!

We plan on it,  we might stay an extra day and leave early Monday morning.
09 Connie

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 07:47:11 PM »
I'm heading down from Boston that week as well. Booking it to Chapel Hill for Sat, 6/11, but then on to the Dragon and then up the BRP.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 02:30:10 PM »
I'm heading down from Boston that week as well. Booking it to Chapel Hill for Sat, 6/11, but then on to the Dragon and then up the BRP.

We just might bump into each other... well soughtof.  ;)
09 Connie

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »
Depending on my travel plans I'll see you if your still in the area around the 15th, my son graduates on the 11th or I'd make plans to tray and meet up and say howdy while you're in Chapel Hill.

Offline mlf73

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 08:16:22 PM »
Hey Jet....are you in the Fuquay Varina/Holly Springs area?  I met a Connie on the new loop/bypass around behind the Home Depot/Walmart area yesterday I think it was.  Just wondering if that was you?
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 09:00:31 PM »
I'm betting it was, right around 11:30 or so.   

Offline mlf73

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 05:28:10 AM »
I'm betting it was, right around 11:30 or so.   

Yep, that must have been me headed for the bank.  We'll have to meet up one of these days.  I guess there are a few of us Connie owners in the area but you just don't see each other on the road very often. 
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 01:16:02 PM »
  I guess there are a few of us Connie owners in the area but you just don't see each other on the road very often.

I have yet to see another Connie around Raleigh or surrounding areas.  You and Jet are the only ones I now of in this area. 
09 Connie

Offline Jet

• Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 03:58:52 PM »
There are a few others, we should have a tech session or day ride some weekend.

Offline sas mayhem

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 05:10:11 PM »
There are a few others, we should have a tech session or day ride some weekend.

I'm game for that.  :chugbeer:
09 Connie