Author Topic: Best Day Ever.  (Read 1268 times)

gpineau

Best Day Ever.
« on: November 26, 2020, 01:52:44 PM »
In anticipation of starting a new project,
Built a new work bench for my power tools and vises,
 Cleaned and rearranged the garage.
Reclaimed about 30 screwdrivers, 
and after sweeping the floor a bonus.....2x 10mm sockets.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Best Day Ever.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 03:01:39 PM »
Looks good man. Wish I had a well stocked garage like yours.

gpineau

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 03:25:28 PM »
I've been wanting to reorganize for a long time. After I finished my basement project I had a bunch of base cabinets left over which fit perfectly along one wall. 
The bench is an old solid wood desk. 32 high and 7 ft long.  I raise it to 38 inches by building a 2x4 frame and 5 inch rubber casters under it (2 of them lock in place). I got a lazy-Susan and mounted my grinder and buffer wheels on it. I can spin it and lock it into position with over-center clamps.  It's heavy but can be moved anywhere in the garage or driveway I need it to be. 

I ignored the garage for months while I was working in the basement so I still have a couple table full of junk/scrap  pieces left from years of projects.  Most of it will end up in the trash but I need to sort through it so I don't throw away any tools or valuable things I have forgotten I have.  When this is sorted I will start  that Connie's transformation to EFI. 

It really was a pretty bike before I parked it way back when.  I never really liked riding it because I was afraid of it. It looked good but I could barely hold it upright when standing on my tiptoes. I've learned a few  things since then.  I lowered my naked Connie and now I can ride it like a sport bike, no problems.  I know how to lower it an inch and a quarter by changing the shock rocker.  :)

Offline Stasch

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 04:09:22 PM »
Interesting solution for the grinders. 

I am just now getting ready to mount the vice, bench grinder and a bench top belt sander at the new place.  I am intrigued with the lazy susan idea you mentioned.  Any chance of some additional pics of that?
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

gpineau

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 04:51:04 PM »
I got the bearing at home depot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-6-in-Square-Lazy-Susan-Turntable-with-400-lb-Load-Rating-49548/203661089
attached it to a old cutting board my wife no longer used.

I got the hold down clamps from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KW16G92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Find the center on the bench where  you want it.
Find the center of the board. ( I drilled a piolet hole in both so I could center it with a nail when I was ready to mount it)

in the photo I put the holes (marked blue) fastened down to the bench.
Positioned like in the picture I marked the hole (marked red) then drilled a large hole in the bench large enough to pass a screw and its head.

Then I centered the board over the bearing using a nail through the piolet holes I drilled.
Then I used short dry wall screws  from under the bench through the hole I drilled into the 4 holes (marked red) one at a time after rotating the board.

At the front left and rear left corners I put over center clamps to keep it from moving.

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 05:31:13 AM »
nice.

i just moved and set up the garage at the house. this also included building an 8x 12 shed in the back yard for all the yard and house stuff, so i can def feel your sense of accomplishment.

the lazy susan IS interesting.  My solution was a rolling toolbox ive had forever. i laid wood on the top and have the drill press on one side and the grinder on the other, and can move it around if i am going to do a lot of metal work (which i do quite a bit of).

nice job there! looks like its coming together.

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline greenie

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 04:02:23 PM »
Very impressive shop! That's the best kind of discipline one can posses in my opinion - to keep things orderly and neat encourages better workmanship and efficiency. My garage is a mess but I can usually lay my hands on whatever it is I am looking for. Free space on the bench? forget about it.
Congrats!

gpineau

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 07:40:26 PM »
Very impressive shop! That's the best kind of discipline one can posses in my opinion - to keep things orderly and neat encourages better workmanship and efficiency. My garage is a mess but I can usually lay my hands on whatever it is I am looking for. Free space on the bench? forget about it.
Congrats!

Mine is a mess 10 months out of the year. I clean and organize between projects. I must start a project with a clean bench and organized tools. But I am horrible about using a tool and when finished just leave it there. I am trying to discipline myself to put tools away when I am finished with them, But invariably the benchtops will become cluttered with tools and pieces of scrap material.

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 05:20:40 AM »
My discipline is always 'the jobs not done till its cleaned up'. working in QC for quite a few years i HAD to learn it. took me a long time to make it habit, but it eventually stuck.

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 11:52:48 AM »
This mess is a place:
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

gpineau

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 02:14:58 PM »
This mess is a place:
Actually that  does not look too bad.

gpineau

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 10:39:06 AM »
Ok, save me hours of searching through the forum for an answer.
I am making a sensor that I will encapsulate in epoxy. It will be attached to the side of the engine. I want to insure that it will withstand the heat.
So I will cook it in an over to see how the epoxy holds up.
I need to know the maximum operating temperature of the Zg1000 engine. Can't be much more than 250°

Can anyone recall ?

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 03:35:12 AM »
Should be no more than 230F (coolant temp) but may be a little higher in certain areas (much higher near the headers).

Nice workshop  :D :thumbs:
My garage is tiny and has 2 bikes and a lot of crap in it.
This pic is from several years ago. Much more crap in it now.  :o

George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

gpineau

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 07:21:53 AM »
Well at least it looks neat and organized. I ended up using Permatex cold weld. It has a temperature rating of 300-380 degrees.

https://speeduino.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4374

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 11:12:15 AM »
since we're showing pics. I have 4 more bikes to go in, and 4 kept off site.  finally kinda sorted yesterday.

still kind of a mess but getting there.

the hardware bins are a lifesaver

and now i can finally start on the 1st winter  project  :banana

regarding the temp thing, i used an inline one, this exact unit, on the front hose on my naked 99. easy as you can get. https://ebay.us/cmRIZO

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2020, 04:48:27 AM »
Nice YR5  ;D

I have no choice but to be organised. If I wasn't I'd drown in junk and never be able to find anything.
I do also have an 8x12 garden shed that is packed with C10 parts.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

gpineau

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 11:26:30 AM »
since we're showing pics. I have 4 more bikes to go in, and 4 kept off site.  finally kinda sorted yesterday.

still kind of a mess but getting there.

the hardware bins are a lifesaver

and now i can finally start on the 1st winter  project  :banana

regarding the temp thing, i used an inline one, this exact unit, on the front hose on my naked 99. easy as you can get. https://ebay.us/cmRIZO

Now thats a really sweet garage. Wish i could tak over 2 bays but my wife would shoot me. I have to settle for backing the cars out when I have a large project.

Anyone else want to share their workspace?

Offline m in sc

• 2 stroke world
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 12:20:36 PM »
Thanks... the 'DEAL' was i had to build a shed to house the yard stuff. .  2500 bucks well spent, took 2 weekends solo.  Will get a landing and ramp and paint  sometime before the spring. 

gpineau

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 10:59:34 AM »
So true

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 01:48:02 AM »
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK