Author Topic: Grinding down pointy cams on C10 footpegs  (Read 4461 times)

Offline Stasch

Grinding down pointy cams on C10 footpegs
« on: February 05, 2020, 09:58:10 AM »
Thought I would post this up for new C10 owners going through their newly acquired machines.

Grinding down pointy cams on C10 footpegs

These pointed cams do not allow the footpeg to fold up enough, forcing the peg to leverage concentrated pressure on both the footpeg and bracket, often cracking or breaking one or both during a minor tip-over.

The OEM cost to replace these 2 parts is about $200 per side!  (about half that at Murph's).

Here's a simple fix anyone can do with a bench grinder to greatly reduce the likliehood of footpeg / bracket casualties.

Grind the cam down as shown by the red line.

The following pics show significantly smaller peg fold up angle resulting from relieving the cam point, effectively reducing it from being a pressure point during a tip-over.

OEM:

GROUND OFF:

Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline connie_rider

Re: Grinding down pointy cams on C10 footpegs
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 04:02:58 PM »
Well done Stasch.
That could help a lot of C-10 owners...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 08:13:03 PM »
Take it a step further, and grind even more off, it will not weaken the peg during use, and will actually allow it to roll up almost vertical.. we been doing this for years, as a pre-empted thing.

good job tho, take it a bit further... :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
especially that big top "ear" part, that does nothing for strength, but instead, creates the "lever stop" that causes the fractures in the mounting bracket, when it folds up... silly design.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 08:56:26 AM »
I just hope that the plastic that will now hit the ground hard after your peg refuses to sacrifice itself is cheaper than the replacement peg/carrier.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline sport rider

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 10:13:12 AM »
good idea for my cafe.  it'll lean a lot further than you guys silly old pigs.   :stirpot:

Offline Stasch

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 12:26:22 PM »
I just hope that the plastic that will now hit the ground hard after your peg refuses to sacrifice itself is cheaper than the replacement peg/carrier.  ;D

The plastic is usually the mirror / turn signal corner of the main fairing anyway (assuming flat ground without anything in the way like a work table - then all bets are off and more stuff can break.).

There's a lot of folks that have done this.  It would be interesting to find out if anyone has experienced worse tip over damage than normal to other areas once this mod has been done. 

My first thought is no, but I've only ever stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Anyone?
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 08:16:20 AM »
Boomer made a point that I honestly never thought of. Yes, it's possible the non folding footpeg could possibly prevent some damage.  {My thought is allowing the foot peg to fold wouldn't cause that much more plastic damage}.

But allowing the footpeg to fold, allows you to ride home with a footpeg to put your foot on.
When I broke mine, I had to ride home {300 miles} without a footpeg.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 06:15:22 AM »
This was a tip that came out many years ago I think.  Good to bring it back though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 03:36:29 PM »
Thought I would post this up for new C10 owners going through their newly acquired machines.
:chugbeer: Thanks.  Every tip is appreciated

Offline Domani

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 08:21:42 AM »
Anyone knows if Murph's "Knee Saver-Foot Peg Lower system" fold up vertical ? Their design makes me think they do. That would be an extra advantage compared to OEM footpegs, preventing knee pains and not braking during a tip over

Offline Stasch

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 09:02:38 AM »
Anyone knows if Murph's "Knee Saver-Foot Peg Lower system" fold up vertical ? Their design makes me think they do.

Yes they do.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 09:01:51 AM »
That is why I like my Murph's  drop peg GoldWing foot pegs..  They fold up .. wont break off... are super thin.. I still ground them down  on the track.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 01:18:26 PM »
I just broke the left side bracket on a tip over pulling off the road with a dead engine (petcock malfunction).
My question is does allowing the peg to break possibly save the hit on the shifter shaft?  I've seen bikes with bent forks from left side drops/slides.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 11:43:24 AM »
I just broke the left side bracket on a tip over pulling off the road with a dead engine (petcock malfunction).
My question is does allowing the peg to break possibly save the hit on the shifter shaft?  I've seen bikes with bent forks from left side drops/slides.

Do you mean C10 bikes with bent shifter forks or other bikes in general?

The C10 shift lever pivots on its own shaft, and is connected to the actual shift shaft by a turnbuckle so it may mean stress to the shifter lever would not necessarily transfer to the shift shaft itself.