Author Topic: Overheating  (Read 2953 times)

Offline flyboy3107

Overheating
« on: June 28, 2014, 05:15:47 AM »
I hope some one can help me here. Last week I went to Laconia for a couple of days, bike ran fine. Sitting in traffic one afternoon I noticed my temp. Gauge almost all the way up. Once moving again it went back to normal. Got home no problems, changed out fan switch, and fan does work, I tried jumping it, refilled with new coolant and water. Fan does still not kick on. I noticed once it heated up, coolant was going into the overflow tank. Shut it off and I could hear a gurgling sound, coming from right where cap is. If coolant is running to overflow tank, does that mean my water pump should be OK? Should I change thermostat and cap? I am at a loss right now on what to change next. Nice weather is finally here and I want to ride it. Thanks for the help. I will also try to burp it like I read in another post.

Offline Summit670

Re: Overheating
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 06:42:14 AM »
The fan must work for the system to operate like it should.

Since bike cools when you are moving, I'm guessing the water pump is working and the thermostat is working.

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 08:09:09 AM »
If the fan works by jumpering it are you absolutely sure that you replaced the fan switch? It is the two pronged switch on the left side of the rad itself and the gauge sender is a single wire unit nearest to the t-stat housing. Also be sure to bleed as much trapped air from the system as you can as temp senders tend to not work correctly in air, they must be submerged...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 10:50:12 AM »
I changed my cap for a slightly higher pressure version. Also I have a manual switch to turn on the fan.  I use it when I know I will be sitting in traffic.
I still had issues and it turned out to be the t-stat housing gasket was bad. It would not allow the system to build up proper pressure.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline flyboy3107

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 04:25:45 PM »
I fixed it!!! I bled the thermostat with bike running. The fan kicked on while bleeding and ran thru its cycle. Thanks for the info guys. Don't even know if I needed the switch, may have just needed to be bled. That's OK it only cost 15.00. Hopefully for peace of mind. Great site for info. probably saved me a boatload of money taking it somewhere.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 09:21:16 AM »
Glad you got it figured out. 

Wow, $15?  Where did you find that deal?  OEM are like $50 and auto parts stores are like $25.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline flyboy3107

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 07:57:25 PM »
Don't know how good it is but found it brand new on e-bay. I will hang onto old one for now. Been out on bike twice for 25-30 mile rides with no issues yet. Looks like it may get a little warmer than other one. Runs at about 3/8 and lower on temp gauge.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 07:53:19 PM »
Fan switch has gone South, the leads are on the left side of the rad. and a simple toggle switch can be located above the left side pocket to the side or to the left of the inst. cluster. Ask me how I know this.
Ride safe all, and please, ATGATT.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 08:01:06 PM »
Fan switch has gone South, the leads are on the left side of the rad. and a simple toggle switch can be located above the left side pocket to the side or to the left of the inst. cluster. Ask me how I know this.
Ride safe all, and please, ATGATT.
Greg

By chance did ya read post # 4 ?    ???
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 05:56:17 AM »
nope, read another reply, are you kidding.
Ride safe all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?