Author Topic: Stalling  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Matt L

Stalling
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:01:39 AM »
If anyone has an ideas, I'm open to suggestions...

My 1986 w/36K otherwise runs flawlessly.  Except that sometimes it stalls.  It used to happen only within the first five minutes of warming up.  It would just die like it ran out of fuel, but would immediately start right back up.  Now it happens more sporadically whether cold or warmed up, and sometimes it will not start back up (starter engages, but won't fire up).  It only happens when the bike is at idle, never when at speed.  It happens when the petcock is on prime or "on" position.  I've recently rebuilt the petcock (due to leaking diaphragm) and replaced the separator b/c it was cracked and all the hoses that lead from separator to canister and fuel tank.

It seems obvious to me that it has a vacuum problem.  I was advised to spray carb cleaner around the carbs and that may point to where it is occurring.  I'll try that this weekend, but does anyone else have any ideas?

Could it be something other than a vacuum leak

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:46:12 AM by Matt L »

Offline Jim __

Re: Stalling
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:51:25 AM »
Does it stall instantly like you hit the kill switch or does it start to miss and then die?

Offline Matt L

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 01:49:43 PM »
It just dies like it runs out of gas...no sputtering or hiccups of any kind...it just turns off.  Thanks.

Offline Jim __

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 02:19:18 PM »
Wow, just shutting off sounds more like an ignition problem.  Maybe the igniter?  Since it only happen initial after cold start and now it's getting worse with time, you could try heating the igniter with a hair drying (not too hot) and/or cooling with a can of circuit cooler to see if you can cause a failure.  Also, what is the voltage at the battery while the bike is idling?

Offline Matt L

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 02:31:51 PM »
Wow, just shutting off sounds more like an ignition problem.  Maybe the igniter?  Since it only happen initial after cold start and now it's getting worse with time, you could try heating the igniter with a hair drying (not too hot) and/or cooling with a can of circuit cooler to see if you can cause a failure.  Also, what is the voltage at the battery while the bike is idling?

I never thought of the igniter. Thanks. Where is it located?  The battery is always connected to a tender, but I'll check the voltage while idling tonight. Thx again!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 03:43:17 PM »
What's your idle set at?  Most folks find that the idle speeds listed in the manual are too low for a consistent idle.  I have mine set at around 1200~1300. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Matt L

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 05:53:02 PM »
What's your idle set at?  Most folks find that the idle speeds listed in the manual are too low for a consistent idle.  I have mine set at around 1200~1300.

Thanks for your suggestion...increasing the idle was one of the first things I tried last year when the problem surfaced, but to no avail.  Thanks anyway!

Offline Jim __

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 05:38:28 AM »
The igniter is under the seat.  It is the small black square box mounted to the fender just aft of the tool tray with a bunch of wires (9) going to it.  While your there you could try inspecting/ re-seating the connector, also.  You mentioned replacing the separator and hoses.  Did this problem start immediately after it was replaced?

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 06:24:57 AM »
when was the last valve adjustment? I've seen connies that were in dire need of a valve adjustment ; they absolutely won't idle - not enough compression. HTH, Steve

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 05:17:32 PM »
What Steve said  and : How many people have said their bike runs flawlessly and they dont- not even close.  Way too many to count.
Then when the bike is properly fixed they are in awe.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Matt L

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 07:03:58 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions...

I had the valves adjusted 7K miles ago, and I hardly ever "get on the throttle" so would think the valves are still okay. 

The problem is so sporadic, its just difficult to troubleshoot. 

I'll futz with it this weekend and then off to the mechanic it goes.  More to follow...

Offline Matt L

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 12:21:46 PM »
I rode all day yesterday without incident.  Random faults are just too tough for me.  I'll leave it alone for now.

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 10:18:54 AM »
I had this issue on my last bike and it turned out I had a short on my kill switch which was fine most of time and made it hard to trace. Only found as one day it died and would not start again so I traced wires and found the issue