Author Topic: Annoying rattle!  (Read 5603 times)

Offline Jim __

Annoying rattle!
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:47:28 AM »
I have the most annoying, high frequency rattle/buzz (tinny sounding) that's driving me crazy!  It's starts around 3200 rpm then fades out till 4200 rpm and returns.  It's not so loud that wind noise won't drown it out above 70 mph but cruising around 50 is the pits.  It sounds like it coming from the open well where the forks go through the fairing.  Warm/hot days are the worse.  Little or no sound on cooler days.
It's not related to:
windshield, mirrors, glove box lids or locks, handle bars, clutch/brake levers, instrument panel, faring interior pieces (that I can reach), grill over the radiator, headlight, gas tank, gas cap, front fender, speedo cable hoop on the front fender or anything else I can reach while riding.  It is based on rpm and not speed.  I would rather not run the engine unloaded in the driveway at 3200 rpm while I snoop around trying to find it.  Any ideas?

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: Annoying rattle!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 11:51:53 AM »
Possibly the steering lock gizmo. Possible cure, slug full of grease.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Jim __

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 11:56:45 AM »
Can I get to it without removing the fairing?

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 12:51:30 PM »
The fairing kind of channels any sound it picks up right up thru there just as you described so it may not be coming exactly from where you think it is.  Will it do it for you in the driveway or does it require movement?  If so, I would not hesitate to try to find it with the engine reved up.  Did you drop a socket or bolt on top the valve cover that you never noticed missing?  Does your gas tank have ALL of the appropriate bushings?  What about the impeller on the alternator?  Those have been known to come loose and make a sound that is hard to track down.  The alternator chain on the engine right side can also make a jingle sound if it gets out of whack.

Out of sync carbs can also cause excess vibration and odd noises.  Do you feel it in the grips?

Wheel bearing?  Thin grease when hot (more rattle) thicker when cold (less rattle).
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Jim __

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 01:15:22 PM »
Yes, I can make it vibrate while sitting still but you have to hit and hold the RPM just right.  I just never liked revving an engine for that length of time without a load.  But I guess it's either that or go bonkers trying to find it other ways.  I'll start with the steering lock that George suggested and work my way around with it revved up.  I'd get my wife to help but she'd just tell me to install a radio and turn it up loud.  Thanks for the tips.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 01:20:12 PM »
Don't forget the horn assembly and the main fairing frame bolt on the steering neck.  Speedo cable where it attachs to the cluster.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 04:04:16 PM »
If you are going to run up the rpms on the centerstand put a fan or two on it. It helps.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 05:34:37 PM »
I read your list twice and didn't see the plastic ignition lock cover between the fork caps listed. 

Either remove it or touch it when you hear the sound to isolate it.

Ignore this if you already tried this. 
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Jim __

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 04:55:15 AM »
Yes, I tried the ignition cover, also.  If I pull in/squeeze the handlebars together, it dampens the noise.  It's a long weekend so I'll pull out the box fan and get it taken care of.  Thanks.

Offline Jim __

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 05:46:52 AM »
Ahhh, peace.  The rattles are gone.  There were 3 possible areas it could have originated.  First was the mounting tap for the center screw in the upper fairing.  It was barely touching the fairing right where it met the windshield.  Small piece of rubber took care of that.  Second was the left turn signal cover.   The top mounting screw was very loose.  Third was the left mounting tab (with the spring metal piece), the one that secures the upper fairing from inside the glove box.  The 2 rivets were tight but the screw at the top was stripped.  I also put some additional padding under the instrument cluster to prevent it from slapping the cowl over big bumps.  It's like riding a brand new bike!  Thanks again for the help.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 06:14:00 AM »
Nice detective work.  Its a great feeling when the bike is right again.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 12:10:47 PM »
I too get a vibration at around 2100. Sounds like a washer jumping around on a bolt someplace. I am taking her in for an overhaul at the end of the month and will ask them to try and find it while they have her apart. I will try and report back with the cause.
William Evans
2001 Kawasaki zg1000 Concours - Age 45 , Los Angeles, CA

Offline Jim __

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 06:12:00 AM »
I also discovered a second rattle.  The metal fender brace or springs in the forks will buzz, not quite a rattle, right after I start up on a cool/cold morning.  It will go away after a few minutes.  If I reach under the fender and hold the fender brace, it stops (yes, the bolts are tight).  But I can also tell I'm dampening the vibration in the forks, as well.  I'll try using some rubber pad between the fender and fender brace to see if that helps.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 06:17:18 AM »
I too get a vibration at around 2100. Sounds like a washer jumping around on a bolt someplace.

Check the bolt that secures the fairing frame to the steering neck.

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 06:51:52 AM »
My front fender rattles.  I haven't pulled it apart yet but it seems like there is a spacer or washer missing.  I have some nylon washers lying around, I'll probably try them.

Offline Grey Gentry

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 11:27:09 PM »
To isolate any rattle, just grab a big screwdriver put the handle against your ear, and go poking around on the various suspect bits with the pointing end.  You should soon locate the noise.