Author Topic: Importent Safety Question  (Read 3426 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
Importent Safety Question
« on: July 17, 2014, 04:06:01 PM »
Will the ol girl haul 2-up at a combined weight of 550, i read on the front tire max load at 520 and the back tire probably will hold a bit more.

Actually me and my girl have already been riding a short distance, 10 miles from her house to mine, smooth roads for the most part and pretty much a straight shot on the hiway.

i just don't want to have a blow out and i was wondering if the frame and other parts are strong enough, we have done this ride back and forth from her house to mine about 3 times.

i just wanted to know is it safe and will she hold up.

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: Importent Safety Question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:40:26 PM »
It'll be fine as long as you don't exceed 15 mph.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 08:03:05 PM »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 10:14:59 PM »
  My personal opinion is the bike won't hold up!!! So the only choice I see is to dump the girlfriend :'( :'(
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 10:42:54 PM »
I've been on the forum for a few years, can't say this question has EVER come up. Interesting question none the less.

Let's say the stamped sidewall load rating of a front tire is 500lbs. What happens when you get on the binders in a big way? The load shifts forward. In a true 'stoppie', the front tire is now carrying the load of the whole bike, the rider, the 200lbs of lead in the saddle bags, as well as any weight gain due to G force deceleration.

If it were me, I'd run the tires at sidewall pressure (no more)... the pressure at which the manufacturers calculate the maximum load of a given tire. Then go ride.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 10:29:05 AM »
I am thinking those numbers on the tires are for 'Sustained' weight.  The frame will be fine and can handle those weights.
 If you have one of those Infra-red temperature hand held guns you can check the temperature of the tires to be sure they do not overheat. Harbor Freight sells them  cheap. I think anything over say 200 degrees Fahrenheit  and the tire is too hot and would need more air but you  should not go over the maximum rated pressure.
I dont think the tires are going to be the main issue.
 At those weights the back of the bike may bottom out on a bump or pothole.
The front  forks with stock springs are going to nose dive and bottom out during hard braking.

Are you running 'Stock' suspension?  There is a  Progressive Shock/spring setup made  for the rear suspension which would fix that part.
New front  Sonic 1.2 's springs and heavier weight fork oil would fix the front.
 For now you need to screw in the front fork preload adjusters all the way  and put the maximum air pressure in the back shock. I think it is 50psi max.
Just do not go fast yet.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 06:42:40 PM »
I am thinking those numbers on the tires are for 'Sustained' weight.  The frame will be fine and can handle those weights.
 If you have one of those Infra-red temperature hand held guns you can check the temperature of the tires to be sure they do not overheat. Harbor Freight sells them  cheap. I think anything over say 200 degrees Fahrenheit  and the tire is too hot and would need more air but you  should not go over the maximum rated pressure.
I dont think the tires are going to be the main issue.
 At those weights the back of the bike may bottom out on a bump or pothole.
The front  forks with stock springs are going to nose dive and bottom out during hard braking.

Are you running 'Stock' suspension?  There is a  Progressive Shock/spring setup made  for the rear suspension which would fix that part.
New front  Sonic 1.2 's springs and heavier weight fork oil would fix the front.
 For now you need to screw in the front fork preload adjusters all the way  and put the maximum air pressure in the back shock. I think it is 50psi max.
Just do not go fast yet.

Yep i have the sonic 1.2 very stiff, dont even need air, i have no fork adjusters (1986) rear shock set at 49-50 psi - rear preload setting #4
i have not heard the front or rear shock bottom out but i can tell by the mushy feel that the rear could bottom if i hit a pothole.

i think im good long as i take it easy and give extra stopping distance.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 07:36:34 AM »
This is more of a how to ride with a passenger and what to watch out for.

My wife and I have done a lot of 2-up riding over the years.  Combined, we are at about 400 lbs unless she brings her purse and we are about 500 lbs.  I run 15w oil with 5" cut springs in the front and "heavy" fluid in the shock and it is set on "3".  The tires are 40 lbs in front and 42 lbs in the rear.  One bike has radials and the other has bias ply (that handles way better).  My wife likes the stock seat over the Corbin so I switch it when we ride together.  Your stopping distance WILL be greatly increased with added weight.  Try to do any hard stopping in a straight line as much as possible to scrub off speed.  A good solo practice drill is to find a large quiet parking lot and practice panic stops by using only the front brake from second gear speed over and over to get used to where the point is just as the front tire skids and slides (in a straight line).  What you are trying to learn is the feel of it and not so much the actual distance (as this will be greater when 2-up).  This is a drill everyone should practice and learn for any bike they own.  After you get used to it, it will probably be second nature and you will feel more comfortable with your bike.  You can add a "little" rear brake and shorten the distance a "little" more but your front does mostly 80% or more of the actual stopping power.  As with anything, if you are not comfortable doing it - don't do it as the end results can be tragic or at least severe damage to your bike.  In our weight range I have never had any issues with the bike from a mechanical stand point what so ever other than an occasional bottom out or close to bottom.

I'm glad I know where the braking limit pretty much is because on a few occasions I've had to use most of it up or at least had the option of altering my course a little knowing things may not add up before I could fully stop.

Ironically, the worst issues I've had are the low speed parking lot stuff.  My wife had a habit of moving around a little just as we would almost come to a stop in a parking space.  I have to remind her to not do this on occasion.  You can pull a thigh or groin muscle pretty easy try to hold the bike and both of you up as it is trying to go over.

The other thing to watch out for is driveway entrances to businesses off a main road (like when you pull into a gas station).  It is quite easy to bottom out as these are usually made to help keep water draining so they also serve as a gutter.  Watch your speed and angle on them so you don't bottom out.

Another is the left turn transition from one road to another.  There is quite often a hidden dip or hump for water drainage that can cause you to scrape a peg in the turn when you are not expecting it.  They can be anywhere but usually are on the edges of the travel lanes to include the edge between two lanes where the dotted line is.

Good luck and be safe out there!
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 11:57:51 PM »
This is more of a how to ride with a passenger and what to watch out for.

My wife and I have done a lot of 2-up riding over the years.  Combined, we are at about 400 lbs unless she brings her purse and we are about 500 lbs.  I run 15w oil with 5" cut springs in the front and "heavy" fluid in the shock and it is set on "3".  The tires are 40 lbs in front and 42 lbs in the rear.  One bike has radials and the other has bias ply (that handles way better).  My wife likes the stock seat over the Corbin so I switch it when we ride together.  Your stopping distance WILL be greatly increased with added weight.  Try to do any hard stopping in a straight line as much as possible to scrub off speed.  A good solo practice drill is to find a large quiet parking lot and practice panic stops by using only the front brake from second gear speed over and over to get used to where the point is just as the front tire skids and slides (in a straight line).  What you are trying to learn is the feel of it and not so much the actual distance (as this will be greater when 2-up).  This is a drill everyone should practice and learn for any bike they own.  After you get used to it, it will probably be second nature and you will feel more comfortable with your bike.  You can add a "little" rear brake and shorten the distance a "little" more but your front does mostly 80% or more of the actual stopping power.  As with anything, if you are not comfortable doing it - don't do it as the end results can be tragic or at least severe damage to your bike.  In our weight range I have never had any issues with the bike from a mechanical stand point what so ever other than an occasional bottom out or close to bottom.

I'm glad I know where the braking limit pretty much is because on a few occasions I've had to use most of it up or at least had the option of altering my course a little knowing things may not add up before I could fully stop.

Ironically, the worst issues I've had are the low speed parking lot stuff.  My wife had a habit of moving around a little just as we would almost come to a stop in a parking space.  I have to remind her to not do this on occasion.  You can pull a thigh or groin muscle pretty easy try to hold the bike and both of you up as it is trying to go over.

The other thing to watch out for is driveway entrances to businesses off a main road (like when you pull into a gas station).  It is quite easy to bottom out as these are usually made to help keep water draining so they also serve as a gutter.  Watch your speed and angle on them so you don't bottom out.

Another is the left turn transition from one road to another.  There is quite often a hidden dip or hump for water drainage that can cause you to scrape a peg in the turn when you are not expecting it.  They can be anywhere but usually are on the edges of the travel lanes to include the edge between two lanes where the dotted line is.

Good luck and be safe out there!

+1

good post, I have been threw and done all the above so we are pretty much on the same page when it comes to 2-up and practicing breaking, I also have to remind my girl not to move when we are coming to a stop or slow speed parking lots, and to who ever else might be reading this please keep your distance from vehicles in front of you, DON'T TAILGATE...

Be Safe Ride Safe