Author Topic: Concours 14 Paint Colors  (Read 28459 times)

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
Re: Concours 14 Paint Colors
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 06:33:14 AM »
" Second/multi-hand story so actual source is in doubt: A truck driver said that "Silver and Gray are the worst colors because blacktop is only black for the first 4 months. Then it becomes gray like concrete roads. The silver and gray bikes disappear into the pavement if their lights are out or misaimed. Black bikes are much easier to see down the road than silver ones are, but nothing "POPS" like those Yellow Goldwings do."

I discovered long ago when traveling heavy highway miles with a radar detector that asphalt grey cars give you "just a little more chance" to spot speed traps than a bright red or yellow car. They don't show road grime (snow excepted of course) quite so badly either.
2014 C-14 Red

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 04:52:25 PM »
Speaking as someone with a silver car AND bike, I know that they (silver/grey) are not the most visible color.  They are indeed difficult to see in many road conditions.  I love the color, and it really stays pretty and cleaner than any other color.  But visibility is a good reason to have ample lights and reflectors (which is why I added reflectors on bags, extra tail/brake light, and front/side running lights).  So I can have my cake and eat it too.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 07:13:46 AM »
Silver detunes visibility during fog and rain also. 

I have a white helmet and a DayGlo jacket for hot weather, but my serious gear is leather and it's black, grey and white.  I like visibility but it's always a fashion struggle between that and something more stylish.   But fancy helmet paint jobs always cost more, so I rationalize my non-fashion helmet as frugal and visible.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 11:03:46 PM »
In 2010 you only list the Candy Neptune Blue.

In the MCN August 2010 magazine it ALSO lists Flat Super Black.

Never have figured out why every year they offer black and only one another color.
I know a lot of you like black - it's just not my choice for any vehicle I would want to own.
Black can look really good when clean and shiny.  Hard to keep it clean though and it gets hot.

So many other colors to choose from, I really don't why they think they have to offer black every year.
Especially since they don't offer it in other countries.

IMHO the Gen 1 black Connie with silver wheels is awesome when clean. I have gotten a lot of compliments over the years, and it still looks and runs like new after 78000 miles .

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 10:34:25 AM »
In 2010 you only list the Candy Neptune Blue.

In the MCN August 2010 magazine it ALSO lists Flat Super Black.

I'm fairly certain that they are simply referring to the frame/lower fairing colors. In some photos or poorly lit showrooms the Candy Neptune Blue can look black, so that year they (Mama Kaw) frequently mentioned the secondary color to highlight that there are really two colors there. Just a guess, but then maybe somewhere someone actually wanted a Sport tourer painted flat black? :o  oops..sorry I meant flat SUPER black...I'm sure there's a difference. ::)

IMHO the Gen 1 black Connie with silver wheels is awesome when clean. I have gotten a lot of compliments over the years, and it still looks and runs like new after 78000 miles .

I think every year with silver wheels looks awesome when clean. It's just so darn hard to keep 'em that way if you ride 'em.  I do agree with many that the Gen Is are the more stylish and svelte looking C14s even though I own a Gen II.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 03:50:41 PM »
I think every year with silver wheels looks awesome when clean. It's just so darn hard to keep 'em that way if you ride 'em.

I don't have personal experience with black wheels, but I can't imagine that glossy black wheels would be any easier to keep clean than the silver ones.

I do agree with many that the Gen Is are the more stylish and svelte looking C14s even though I own a Gen II.

Well, I am not one of them :)  The only real "looks" difference between the gen1/2 is just the side fairings (and perhaps mirror placement).  I prefer the gen2 look.  That is not to say the gen1 isn't nice too, I just think the gen2 looks even nicer.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 07:49:27 PM »
I'm fairly certain that they are simply referring to the frame/lower fairing colors. In some photos or poorly lit showrooms the Candy Neptune Blue can look black, so that year they (Mama Kaw) frequently mentioned the secondary color to highlight that there are really two colors there. Just a guess, but then maybe somewhere someone actually wanted a Sport tourer painted flat black? :o  oops..sorry I meant flat SUPER black...I'm sure there's a difference. ::)

I think every year with silver wheels looks awesome when clean. It's just so darn hard to keep 'em that way if you ride 'em.  I do agree with many that the Gen Is are the more stylish and svelte looking C14s even though I own a Gen II.

I meant to say that the black Gen 1 without the black bazooka donkey dong  ;D is my favorite color.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 08:36:42 PM »
I meant to say that the black Gen 1 without the black bazooka donkey dong  ;D is my favorite color.

Well, now you're just wrong. I love my big black bazooka donkey don......ah.....wait, what?  :o  :yikes:  :doh:

...er... I like a nice quiet performance neutral muffler like the one that came stock on my C14,
 it just happens to be mostly black and a little larger than it should be.

(There, I think I saved that from where it was headed. ?)

Offline O.C.

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 12:40:37 AM »
I don't have personal experience with black wheels, but I can't imagine that glossy black wheels would be any easier to keep clean than the silver ones.

Correct, I have Black wheels on my current C14 and they aren't easy to keep clean (not that I'm a polisher) I have had Silver wheels on previous C14s and they don't show dirt quite so obviously
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 09:52:04 PM »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2017, 06:29:00 AM »
Black is the new black.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2017, 11:20:46 AM »
Black is the new black.

Yeah, really.  I am constantly amazed at how many different names Kawasaki slaps on the bike for what is essentially just "black".  Admittedly, they are sometimes slightly different shades of black and with more or less metallic "glitter" in them, but if you don't like/want black, none of that matters much.

Trivia- the 2017 "black" with green pin-striping is the color combo that became the US/CA 2018 color.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 12:47:25 AM »
RE: Pin-striping on 2016?

Kawasaki used the same image on their website for both the 2016 and 2018 models. (See first image below). Second image is an actual US 2016 which had the green piping. (I almost bought that one). The last image is of a 2018 that I just found on a google search. That picture wasn't available back when I was trying to figure out the difference between the 2 colors.

Interesting.   The issue is that I didn't see that in 2016 myself (and I am pretty sure I would have seen it) and from what I remember, the pin-striping was introduced with "Metallic Carbon Grey" in the EU in 2017 and just carried over to the US/CA in 2018.  It doesn't seem likely they mixed the pin-striping with "Metallic Spark Black" of 2016.... and yet.....

When doing my own research, I keep finding a mix of with and without the pinstriping for 2016.  The most compelling evidence is this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0c7YN2_k-M posted on Jul 27, 2016.  He even correctly pronounces "Concours" (so rare) (was a great price, too).

For now I will at least edit it with the info and a "?"

Offline Impster

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 05:37:57 AM »
RE: Pin-striping on 2016?

Interesting.   The issue is that I didn't see that in 2016 myself (and I am pretty sure I would have seen it) and from what I remember, the pin-striping was introduced with "Metallic Carbon Grey" in the EU in 2017 and just carried over to the US/CA in 2018.  It doesn't seem likely they mixed the pin-striping with "Metallic Spark Black" of 2016.... and yet.....

When doing my own research, I keep finding a mix of with and without the pinstriping for 2016.  The most compelling evidence is this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0c7YN2_k-M posted on Jul 27, 2016.  He even correctly pronounces "Concours" (so rare) (was a great price, too).

For now I will at least edit it with the info and a "?"

As more evidence, my '16 is in the metallic black with pin stripes.

----
2016 Concourse 14 (Black), Corbin seat, Murph's risers, T-Rex lowering links and kickstand

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2018, 05:43:04 AM »
As more evidence, my '16 is in the metallic black with pin stripes.

Well, I guess it is settled, then!  Will remove the "?"

Offline motonerd14

• Arena
  • Nerd & Ziggy
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2018, 07:25:35 PM »
Black is the worse color on a fully-faired bike from a safety standpoint. It's MUCH better to be more visible. In fact, no black bike, jacket or helmet were the 'conditions' my wife gave me to ride. I personally believe we all should ride like if were invisible (I do), meaning color doesn't mean much when you ride defensively. But doesn't hurt to be visible either. So to keep her happy, I comply with her wishes. That meant a freaking frog green bike at my 53, but nobody can see that with a helmet on ;D. And if somebody ever hits me, they won't be able to claim they didn't see me. He he. Bottom line is most mature people I know prefer other than black colors (probably for the reason mentioned above), and Kawasaki should deliver that on a sport-touring bike bought by  mature people IMO. Having said that, the green is not that bad, and visible from space, so all good 8).

:goodpost:

I only buy red or orange motorcycles precisely because of this. Shame the C14 never came in yellow!

Offline blue72beetle

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2018, 01:33:48 PM »
I put this together for a color reference while I shop for a C14. Maybe this can be put in the Colors sticky in the FAQ?
Click link for larger version:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Concours/i-nhPfKcC/0/80b9c8a4/O/C14%20Colors.jpg

Oh, and this is US market only.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2018, 01:58:28 PM »
I put this together for a color reference while I shop for a C14. Maybe this can be put in the Colors sticky in the FAQ?
Click link for larger version:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Concours/i-nhPfKcC/0/80b9c8a4/O/C14%20Colors.jpg

Oh, and this is US market only.

could put it here
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=24.0

a better spot, or contact Virginia Jim, from this post (send him a p/m via his linked p/m feature), and have it added to his posting, it's locked, but I'm sure he would at it...
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20253.msg250551#msg250551

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2018, 02:45:05 PM »
I put this together for a color reference while I shop for a C14. Maybe this can be put in the Colors sticky in the FAQ?  Oh, and this is US market only.

Neat!  I have downloaded and uploaded to the primary post (linking is bad, because it can disappear).  Did you make that yourself?  If so, how (it is impressive)?  A few of the colors are a bit off (like the 2008), but I did verify it is generally good and 100% matched the info I had already supplied (for USA).  Thanks

Offline blue72beetle

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2018, 03:36:35 PM »
Yeah, I made it myself using Photoshop. I just did a google search for the images, and used the FAQ here and Kawasaki's site for the years/names. It was a little tough finding pictures of just the left side in front of a plain background for every single one. A couple of the black ones might not be EXACT but you can't see the metal flake in that small of a picture anyway. I also made a fairly obvious error in one, I'm waiting to see if anyone catches it.