Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 303282 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #1220 on: March 03, 2018, 03:30:10 PM »
OFFTOPIC: I take it you are not a fan then? Me neither. But I find even more disturbing, I think, is that so many people around and under her were willing to go along and let those things happen, and she continued on as A.G. for one of the longest terms in that role in all of US history.

Brian

Frau Reno was a bloodthirsty political officer who had no qualms with ghosting anyone who did not tow the Party line. She could have stood with the worst in history and not shirked what she believed was her duty to Party. RIH
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1221 on: March 03, 2018, 03:35:57 PM »
I finally understood what it meant to be an 'Enemy of the State'.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1222 on: March 03, 2018, 03:51:34 PM »
OFFTOPIC: I really do not want to get this thread locked so moderators, please delete or modify any / all of my posts as you see fit.

It is in the oath that almost everyone who swears allegiance to the United States takes: "I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; ...."  I see it as every citizen's duty to try our best to understand, support, and if needed defend the Constitution against anyone / any group who would or is trying to defeat it, go around it or ignore it. Even when following it is personally difficult, or at least that is how I view it.

We have an excellent society and system going here and it will continue to thrive, adapt and persevere unless we ourselves destroy it or stand idly by and watch it being destroyed.

".... At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide. ....."
-A. Lincoln, January 27, 1838

Brian

I finally understood what it meant to be an 'Enemy of the State'.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1223 on: March 03, 2018, 04:00:01 PM »
During a power failure last night, with nothing to do or watch (had power and TV, as well as playback devices), ended up watching the movie Cocoon for the first time in many years. Outstanding film, still! The plot is good but not great but the cast, and their performances are just outstanding IMO. And it was in many cases a 'second coming' of them as they had been pretty big stars decades ago but then sort of slipped into the mist. Don Ameche, Wilford Brimley, Hume Cronyn, Jessica Tandy (also Miss Daisy from Driving Miss Daisy), Maureen Stapleton, Jack Gilford.... a cast of giants. It is a fairly old movie (1985) but is really as good today as it was then IMO and for those of you who have not seen it, take a gander if you get a chance. It is a wonderful movie IMO; it does not actually 'go anywhere', the point is to enjoy the trip with a terrific cast and a great film (Ron Howard film).

Brian

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #1224 on: March 04, 2018, 06:33:07 PM »
THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS..

finally made it's way to Netflix,

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1225 on: March 04, 2018, 09:49:16 PM »
Just started Penny Dreadful.  Not what I expected, but 5 hours in and I am certainly hooked...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1226 on: March 05, 2018, 07:19:46 AM »
THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS..

finally made it's way to Netflix,

Watched that a number of years ago. Was more entertaining than I expected.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1227 on: April 17, 2018, 03:29:20 PM »
Watched, of all things...... the Lost in Space reboot on Netflix.

Now we will just take a moment while everyone laughs......

Yep, still laughing......

OK, so I watched it, with no expectations at all other than it would be terrible. Perhaps as bad as the original. It could not be worse because nothing was worse than that show..... But I gotta' admit, it was not awful. In fact, by the end of the first season (ten episodes I think), it was actually OK. Really.

Basically they kept the original names but that is about it- the entire concept of the series is completely different and actually has some substance, intelligence and is a little bit interesting to watch. Seriously.

Tried to watch Altered Carbon but just had to abandon that one- terrible IMO, and growing worse as the series progressed.

Also watched Arrival (movie), which I liked quite a bit. An unusual plot, even for SciFi. Also read the short story it is based on, named 'The Story of your Life', which was similar but considerably different than the movie made from it. But I liked both and as I said, the basic plot is unusual and somewhat interesting IMO.

Brian

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1228 on: April 17, 2018, 03:41:41 PM »
Did the robot ever say "DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!"?

OK, so I watched it, with no expectations at all other than it would be terrible. Perhaps as bad as the original. It could not be worse because nothing was worse than that show..... But I gotta' admit, it was not awful. In fact, by the end of the first season (ten episodes I think), it was actually OK. Really.

Basically they kept the original names but that is about it- the entire concept of the series is completely different and actually has some substance, intelligence and is a little bit interesting to watch. Seriously.

Tried to watch Altered Carbon but just had to abandon that one- terrible IMO, and growing worse as the series progressed.

Also watched Arrival (movie), which I liked quite a bit. An unusual plot, even for SciFi. Also read the short story it is based on, named 'The Story of your Life', which was similar but considerably different than the movie made from it. But I liked both and as I said, the basic plot is unusual and somewhat interesting IMO.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1229 on: April 17, 2018, 04:04:33 PM »
Yes! And that is about all he said 'cause this robot does not talk. This robot is 'foreign', and by that I do not mean a non- American.  ;D

And while it has been made more PC (Judy is black, Dr. Smith is a female) they did not go overboard and get ridiculous about it.

Brian

Did the robot ever say "DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!"?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1230 on: April 18, 2018, 04:14:08 AM »

Brian

We're in the process of watching Lost In Space too. Like you Brian, I didn't expect much and I was pleasantly surprised when the show turned out to be quite good. My wife isn't a huge Sci-Fi but she's really enjoying this show.

Good writing and adequate acting along with a compelling story line earns a thumbs up from me.    :thumbs:

The robot is bad ass! 'He' doesn't say much but he sure packs a wallop! You do not want this guy mad at you. 

Check out Travelers on Netflix, good stuff too.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1231 on: April 18, 2018, 07:46:45 AM »
We're in the process of watching Lost In Space too. Like you Brian, I didn't expect much and I was pleasantly surprised when the show turned out to be quite good. My wife isn't a huge Sci-Fi but she's really enjoying this show.

Good writing and adequate acting along with a compelling story line earns a thumbs up from me.    :thumbs:

The robot is bad ass! 'He' doesn't say much but he sure packs a wallop! You do not want this guy mad at you. 

I have enjoyed that too. Interesting premise.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1232 on: April 18, 2018, 11:25:09 AM »
Yep, we watched the first season and part of the second. My wife liked it pretty well but I found it got to be kind of a formulaic, grind of a show after a while. Not bad, just not interesting to me after a fashion. Other people have also mentioned really liking it so it is probably me that is 'off'.

Brian

<snip>

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1233 on: April 19, 2018, 03:52:22 AM »
I have never seen the original so cant draw comparisons but am halfway through Lost in Space and enjoying it.

Bonus point for anyone who can identify the link between this reboot & Harry Potter :)

Brian
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1234 on: April 19, 2018, 05:35:14 PM »
I just watched the whole Lost In Space reboot last weekend, also.  I wasn't sure what to expect (yes, I watched the original as a child).  I enjoyed it.  It had a lot of science flaws, some pretty serious, and I think there was too much emphasis on the robot.  I also think they went a little overboard with the meekness of John Robinson, but the female "Smith" actually worked (I thought that would fail).  Looking forward to the next so-called "season".

(When did a "season" get reduced from 30 to 26 to 24 to 22 to now just 10 episodes?)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1235 on: April 19, 2018, 10:21:04 PM »
I think about the same time the very best shows on 'TV' got a lot better, or at least so it seems. And honestly, I would much prefer 8 or 10 or 14 episodes per year of good quality programming than the old 25, 26, 28 episodes of [not as good quality] TV. Most of the one- off, designer shows that have been so very excellent are limited in the number of shows they produce per season, and often they do not coincide with an annual cycle but are either late in the next year or skip a calendar year altogether. Again, less delivery, and delivered more slowly but often far superior.

Brian

<snip>

(When did a "season" get reduced from 30 to 26 to 24 to 22 to now just 10 episodes?)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1236 on: April 20, 2018, 12:56:17 AM »
ALso have to remember that a1 hours show is 1 hour of content not 40-45 minutes of conetnt & therest advertising so 20 1 hr episodes on "conventional" telly becomes 15 on streaming (unless also shown as 45 minute , depends on editing)

Another reason I think for 10 especially in these days of streaming/catchup TV is that 10 hours is a perfect wet days binge watch ;)

I think about the same time the very best shows on 'TV' got a lot better, or at least so it seems. And honestly, I would much prefer 8 or 10 or 14 episodes per year of good quality programming than the old 25, 26, 28 episodes of [not as good quality] TV. Most of the one- off, designer shows that have been so very excellent are limited in the number of shows they produce per season, and often they do not coincide with an annual cycle but are either late in the next year or skip a calendar year altogether. Again, less delivery, and delivered more slowly but often far superior.

Brian
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1237 on: April 20, 2018, 06:54:32 AM »

Oh, I agree that 10 good episodes are better than 24 not good.  But what I really want are 24 good episodes instead of 10 good episodes before having to wait a year for more  :)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1238 on: April 20, 2018, 07:26:20 AM »
OFFTOPIC: I think what happens though is that the writers, producers, etc. who 'make' the episodes have to sit down and grind out 'another' 10 or 15 shows and that in and of itself is what makes the series suffer. While a limited number of episodes, sometimes coupled with a much looser delivery schedule, allows a more controlled approach and much better programming. Series such as Westworld can slow down and maintain high content even if it has to skip a half- year or even a full year to come back with a much better quality of episodes. It also seems to allow TV series that have and maintain a reasonable pace; in the 'olden' days, there were a LOT of shows that seemed to have many episodes that were merely fillers because they had to throw something in that hour whether they were ready or not, whether it was good or not, and even if it had no point or value.

Hey, not my field, just stating how it appears to me that it <seems> to be working after a lot of decades watching a box in my house that is usually filled with garbage. Of course I am speaking about the trash can in the kitchen 'cause it has often been better than what was on TV. :-)

Brian

Oh, I agree that 10 good episodes are better than 24 not good.  But what I really want are 24 good episodes instead of 10 good episodes before having to wait a year for more  :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1239 on: April 21, 2018, 06:38:28 AM »
Lost In Space

Anyone wonder why, on such high tech and futuristic ships, they're using old CB radio mics for coms? What, no blutooth of wireless in the future?  ;)

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn