Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 303088 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #1200 on: January 15, 2018, 07:14:08 AM »
Watched It yesterday.

5 outta 5!

Damn good movie! If you haven't seen it, you should.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1201 on: January 15, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »
Just finished (re)watching Phonebooth for the first time since it was released.

Most excellent.
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1202 on: February 03, 2018, 07:39:18 PM »
Just watched the first episode of Waco. Really surprised at the direction and POV this series is taking, at least from the first episode. So far, very well done and jibes nicely with actual history, at least as I understand and remember it. Too bad it does not go back far enough to show why Randy Weaver was ever charged in the first place. Going to watch the second episode and hope it keeps going in the same direction.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1203 on: February 04, 2018, 05:13:13 AM »
Are they telling two stories?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1204 on: February 04, 2018, 07:20:34 AM »
Three events make one story: the clash between 'the gov't' and 'the people' at Ruby Ridge, Waco, and Oklahoma City. This series is about Waco incident but to understand what happened at Waco, the viewer needs information about the events that occurred at Ruby Ridge. It would be fine to end the story with the destruction of the compound at Waco but I will be amazed if there is not at least a foot- note, or perhaps an episode, devoted to the incident at Oklahoma City because that was a direct result, and the last major event of the chain of three.

Watched the second episode and it too was very well done.

This story is apparently based on the stories / books from two people who were there and participated: one is a Branch Davidian member and survivor of the Waco incident, the other an FBI agent who was present at both Ruby Ridge and Waco.

Brian

Are they telling two stories?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1205 on: February 04, 2018, 07:42:36 AM »
Finished up Game of Thrones season 7 yesterday. Damn that's good TV!    :thumbs:

I was really hoping to see Cersei get her comeuppance but will have to wait till next year for that.

Drakaris (aka, flame on!)

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1206 on: February 08, 2018, 09:37:10 PM »
Knightfall on the History Channel.  Not sure I'm liking it yet.

Just finished the season finale.  I enjoyed it a lot!  Two thumbs up
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1207 on: February 15, 2018, 10:19:12 AM »
Finished up Game of Thrones season 7 yesterday. Damn that's good TV!    :thumbs:

I was really hoping to see Cersei get her comeuppance but will have to wait till next year for that.

Drakaris (aka, flame on!)

+1  :thumbs: The only reason I still have an HBO subscription.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1208 on: February 15, 2018, 01:08:14 PM »
Just finished the season finale.  I enjoyed it a lot!  Two thumbs up

Tried to get into it for the obvious reasons but I couldn't finish the first episode.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1209 on: February 16, 2018, 02:28:37 PM »

Tried to get into it for the obvious reasons but I couldn't finish the first episode.

You are definitely the exception. Maybe need more scotch?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1210 on: February 16, 2018, 02:58:37 PM »
Nah, it just did not 'hook' him. I am a believer in the school of thought that a book or a movie has to grab one and make a person want to continue to read (or watch) pretty early on. I have tried to read some of the classics only to be left cold after 50 pages and had to abandon the books because of it. I simply did not care about the characters or the plot by that point.

And we all have to remember, 'Moby Dick' was a literary failure that quite literally ruined Melville's career as a writer. It was not until long after he was dead that the book again caught interest on the 100th anniversary of his birth, and then only by accident. Today it is a cornerstone in American literature, some claiming it is THE beginning of American literature but during the author's life, it was a proverbial anchor around his neck.

I have watched the entire series of GOT but honestly, it was Sean Bean and family (in the series) that caught my attention; had he not been in the first season, or had I caught, say, the third season as my entry point, I too would have abandoned the series I think.

A long time ago I read that the key to a TV series popularity was the question: would you invite this group of people into your home, week after week? And that is really it I think- to watch a series, a person has to want to know how the key players are progressing and be interested in their 'lives', so to speak.

Brian

You are definitely the exception. Maybe need more scotch?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1211 on: February 19, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »
I still recommend a solution of a nice single malt and try again, or not, to watch GOT.  :chugbeer:

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #1212 on: February 19, 2018, 09:25:57 AM »
Just finished watching Season 1 of Star Trek:Discovery

Wasn't too sure at first but it just got better and loved the finale
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #1213 on: February 19, 2018, 12:59:26 PM »
Celebrity Big Brother.

Wait, was this in my outside voice?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1214 on: February 26, 2018, 07:20:29 AM »
Waiting for the last episode of Waco.

Watched a PBS Frontline about rapidly growing gang activity on Long Island, NY. Looks like a pretty nasty problem, at least in localized areas. The part that was confusing was whether or not the people shown were illegal aliens or not; there were several terms used such as 'Unaccompanied Minors' but again, it was not clear if these were legal or illegal aliens. I am tending to think illegal because several of them were deported, although certainly that is not proof.

Brian

Offline cbx4evr

« Reply #1215 on: February 26, 2018, 08:03:07 AM »
Just got Amazon Prime so - The Man in the High Castle.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you **** your pants every now and then. "

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1216 on: February 26, 2018, 09:30:53 AM »
I watched that when it was released and liked the start, sort of fell down in the middle (almost stopped watching it) but really liked where it went at the end a very much. My very first alternate- history show.

I also got Amazon Prime recently and have been watching some unusual things, one of which is 'Soviet Storm', a documentary history of the Eastern war (Germany, Soviet Union) theater of WWII. It was produced for Russian TV in 2011, and so it has an interesting, somewhat different approach than western versions of the same events. Not wrong IMO, just different and with a different emphasis. It is narrated in English (UK English) but all the damn maps are in Cyrillic so I cannot read the city names and have a hard time following the dynamic battle lines and layouts. But overall, a very good documentary for those interested in such things I think.

Brian

Just got Amazon Prime so - The Man in the High Castle.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1217 on: February 26, 2018, 01:40:59 PM »
Watching "Frontier" on Netflix. Story is wrapped around the fur trade and the Hudson Bay Company in the early 1700's. Stars Jason Momon (aka. Kal Drogo from GOT). Not bad. Has its ups and downs but mostly entertaining.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1218 on: March 03, 2018, 02:10:02 PM »
Finished watching Waco. I found it to be quite good and pretty accurate, although I though Janet Reno got off a bit light regarding responsibility. And I was quite surprised that there was no mention of the Oklahoma City bombing, which was a direct result of the events at Ruby Ridge (Idaho) and Waco (Texas).

Brian

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1219 on: March 03, 2018, 02:35:47 PM »
Frau Reno was a bloodthirsty political officer who had no qualms with ghosting anyone who did not tow the Party line. She could have stood with the worst in history and not shirked what she believed was her duty to Party. RIH