Author Topic: Assorted add-ons in review  (Read 6762 times)

Offline jscon2011

Assorted add-ons in review
« on: April 13, 2014, 06:00:57 PM »
Here I will review the different aftermarket add-ons I have used and installed to help those who may be interested in some of the items or perhaps have had similar problems or praises.

The following items will be discussed:

- Throttlemiester cruise
- grip puppies
- shark stereo system (600w)
- highway pegs (AST)
- Balwin seat (GT)
- RAM X-Grip
- tankspec tank grips
Sleeping Connie is sleeping.

Offline jscon2011

Re: Assorted add-ons in review
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 06:02:16 PM »
*pics

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:12:43 PM »
Excellent.  Much thanks.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jscon2011

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 06:42:46 PM »
- Throttlemiester cruise

These grip locking end pieces for your throttle are decent substitute for an actual cruise control system.
Cons: obviously don't adjust your speed for hills, pricey for what they are.
Pros: sturdy, look good, relatively easy to install, allow for resting of the right hand.

- grip puppies

these foam grip covers were easy to install with some soapy water and make a world of difference if you like a bigger grip and a little cushion.
Cons: cheap Pros: cheap

- shark stereo system (600w)

These guys make a variety of stuff but I'm not sure which country the stuff comes from and where exactly the basement is located that the two guys arrange orders and ship stuff, but their stuff is pretty cheap. All in all the stuff it's great quality...they might tell you the amp is waterproof, but it's not. You can see how I make a canopy for my amp using foam matting (used in the bottom of drawers and cupboards) very cheap stuff and easy to work with. I run in storms and the amp stay dry using this method! Only possible way it can get wet is from splashing water. My SD card port doesnt work on mine... and the radio is very bad. But, what saves it all is the aux jack and the USB port. Both work great! and the 600 watt with the 400 watt speakers has good sound up to 65 mph and above that you cant really hear much at all. I mounted the buttons on the right side there using a basic L bracket from Lowes that I bent. The speakers are waterproof (but not rust proof...) you get what you pay for here folks. They sent me the wrong stuff twice but in the end they made up for their mistakes with a nice refund of a portion of my purchase. Install instructions are non existent for the most part but not a hard install overall.

Cons: lack of customer assistance program, hard to get a hold of the guys, not all electronics work (but they will replace if you can get a hold of them. Customer service is bad from the start but they made a very strong effort to make me happy after I told them how unhappy I was. Parts rusting a little bit...

Pros: good sound, loud, looks nice for the most part, cord management is pretty easy, aux/USB, not too expensive

- highway pegs (AST)

These highway pegs are great, they def let me stretch out to a new position and it feels amazing on long rides. You can't put a lot of weight on them (or so it feels and I wont be testing it to find out!) but the natural weight of your legs resting on them is no problem! Install was tricky and some parts needed to be replaced but the guys at AST replaced them right away, great customer service from AST. Priced well and def a great addition for anyone who goes on longer rides and needs to stretch their legs!

Cons: not the most sturdy feeling pegs, drag a little on hard turns (but once the corner gets worn off it's good), the pegs need to be raised (you can easily do so with your feet while underway) before cornering hard or you could possibly harm yourself by catching those pegs on the road. Install not the easiest.

Pros: strong enough for what theyre made to do, good price, great customer service, great comfort item

- Balwin seat (GT)

This seat, the grand touring seat, is amazing. Super comfortable. Some people complain of sliding forward but I dont have that problem (6'3")

Cons: pricey    Pros: very comfy, quality materials, looks great

- RAM X-Grip

This was supposed to hold my phone... but I hit a bump on the interstate and it went flying (i found it and it still works mind you)
It is strong and it hold my phone now that I also have velcro backing it up! It's ok, the best.
cons: not that strong
pros: strong enough without hitting bumps and using some ingenuity...can work

- tankspec tank grips

these look alright once on, the side ones were great but the middle one was not shaped well and was impossible to lay smoothly so I had to cut it and it looks like garbage... Im going to replace it with a different brand's design I think.

Cons: expensive for what they are, air bubbles on some, middle one was crap
Pros: looks nice, good grip feel when riding

Offline texrider

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 06:51:15 PM »
2014 Valkyrie

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 08:12:46 PM »
Regarding the stereo speakers... I've always wondered, why do folks do this when there are so many options now for having tunes in yer helmet?  ???

Offline jscon2011

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 08:48:56 PM »
For me, I like earplugs in my ears over heaphones. Plus, hearing the sound from speakers and just the fact that anyone can hear you if theyre close enough is cool as well. More like windows down, country music :) heaphones are too personal and take away from hearing outside noises in my opinion.

Offline Gsun

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 09:29:53 PM »
Can you see your gauges or the road with all that? :o

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 09:35:15 PM »
just the fact that anyone can hear you if theyre close enough is cool as well.

Not if they don't want to hear it.

heaphones [earphones] are too personal and take away from hearing outside noises in my opinion.

No more or less so than ear plugs... just depends on the volume.  I keep mine quite reasonable.  It is tricky keeping them in while getting the helmet on, though.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jscon2011

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 10:22:53 PM »
Not if they don't want to hear it.

No more or less so than ear plugs... just depends on the volume.  I keep mine quite reasonable.  It is tricky keeping them in while getting the helmet on, though.

That's ok, they wont be alongside for long ;) and that's why I said "in my opinion"...

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 05:03:35 PM »
Is it legal to have headphones on? (or ear buds in)

I always thought it was illegal for car drivers to have headphones / ear buds. I could be wrong. Or maybe it doesn't apply to bikers. Not sure how LEO would know anyway, unless he stopped you for something else.

Doesn't seem safe to me.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »
Is it legal to have headphones on? (or ear buds in)

{Earphones.  Headphones are those things with a band that goes over your head and presses speakers to the outside of your ear.  I tend to think of ear "buds" as the round little things that sit in your external ear and earphones as those that go into the ear canal... but definitions on those two vary.}

Both ears-  probably (all three- headphones, earphones, and earbuds).
I believe it is legal for a single ear, however..... although that is not what I do.

Doesn't seem safe to me.

In what way?  If I were wearing earplugs (which I believe is legal in most states) and had helmet speakers, (which I believe is also legal) it would be absolutely no different or more safe.  What matters is volume levels.   I can quite clearly hear emergency vehicles, car horns, my engine, etc.  Foam ear plugs block more ambient noise than typical earphones.

If I were wearing NOTHING in my ears at all, it would be far *less* safe, because then wind noise is more apt to block other sounds I want/need to hear... plus it leads to fatigue.... plus it can cause hearing damage over the long term.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jscon2011

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 09:45:12 AM »
When I used to ride with an earbud/phone whatever, in my ear or both ears I experienced: A. that I felt very much in my own world at times (not the safe) and B. that I couldn't hear as much of the outside world as I could with foam earplugs

The stereo speakers don't allow for listening at high speeds because of wind noise, but with a new windshield that will be solved and I like the stereo sound compared to personal in-ear sound.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 04:36:46 PM »
When I used to ride with an earbud/phone whatever, in my ear or both ears I experienced: A. that I felt very much in my own world at times (not the safe) and B. that I couldn't hear as much of the outside world as I could with foam earplugs

Yep, I can appreciate that.  Again, depends on the volumes and the person.  From my personal experience of using earplugs + helmet speakers vs. only earphones, the latter is much better from most every perspective- noise suppression, ability to hear other things, and clarity.  Only negative is getting them to stay in my ears while putting the helmet on.  Once on, however, they stay put fine (as long as I wrap the cord once around the chin strap) and are comfortable for any amount of time.  Some people can't do that without custom ones, or without some trial and error.  I am actually using some very cheap Philips SHE3584's and SHE3590's.

The stereo speakers don't allow for listening at high speeds because of wind noise, but with a new windshield that will be solved

Possibly, although I am typically pretty hot on the bike when it is over 80 and would need the windshield down all the way or even a shorter windshield (I am working on that).  My Scorpion EXO helmet isn't wonderful for wind noise.  Plus, I like listening at all speeds, not just low.... and without distortion.

and I like the stereo sound compared to personal in-ear sound.

In-ear, on-ear, helmet speakers, or with external speakers, it is all still stereo.  But I know what you mean.

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 01:47:05 PM »
wow, those speakers sure are subtle,  :D 
Bluetooth ear buds, or molded "fit ear" buds work for me.

- RAM X-Grip
This was supposed to hold my phone... but I hit a bump on the interstate and it went flying (i found it and it still works mind you)
It is strong and it hold my phone now that I also have velcro backing it up! It's ok, the best.
 ???

so it spit your phone out ?? not good. where did you put Velcro??

thanks!!

Offline JS_racer

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 01:52:17 PM »
Regarding the stereo speakers... I've always wondered, why do folks do this when there are so many options now for having tunes in yer helmet?  ???

:goodpost:

Offline jscon2011

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 03:38:50 PM »
wow, those speakers sure are subtle,  :D 
Bluetooth ear buds, or molded "fit ear" buds work for me.

- RAM X-Grip
 ???

so it spit your phone out ?? not good. where did you put Velcro??

thanks!!

Yea haha the speakers look cool to me, although, they are rusting a little... and the black color fading. cheap.

I got industrial str velcro from lowes and put the soft part on the back of my phone (permanent) and the rough part on the center circle of the xgrip.

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 08:40:02 AM »
I have the X grip just like yours and it is even mounted in the same location. I put my iPhone in it and I have never even had it so much as slip, let alone fall out.

I like the seat! I have to do something with mine.

omcrider

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 11:09:28 AM »
Do the heated grips still radiate plenty of heat through the grip puppies?

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 03:19:28 PM »
I have the X grip just like yours and it is even mounted in the same location. I put my iPhone in it and I have never even had it so much as slip, let alone fall out.

I like the seat! I have to do something with mine.

Must have been one heck of as bump.  I have used the X Grip for the S4 and the 5S for over two years on the worst roads in Virginia.  Never had an issue when I had it installed correctly.  Now, I have noticed that I did not fully seat it on occasion and it will definitely fly off that way.