Author Topic: ECU flashing now available  (Read 133729 times)

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: ECU flashing now available
« Reply #420 on: August 26, 2016, 03:07:28 PM »
Before flashing mine backfired a bunch

Remember that the stock EFI is kinda rich, speculatively to be on the "safe side" for engine longevity.   The ECU reflashes try to better lean it out... that is one reason for better mileage and more power.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #421 on: August 29, 2016, 11:45:02 AM »
I rode a couple BMW's this weekend.  We rode from Peoria to Gateway BMW in St Louis so my friend could get a 2011 K1300S with 1700 miles on it.  I rode my C14 with the SISF flash.

While we were killing time, I got a ride on an S1000XR. It had 29 miles on it and the rev limiter was 9k instead of 11k.  I rode it in Dynamic mode (full power).

Below 7k, it was nice but felt gutless.  Above 7k to 9k, it was "hang on tight!".  Rev limiter cut in nicely, not super harsh.  Ran it up and down a frontage road that was very commercial, had some hills and curves and straights.  Did it over and over, whack it and 2-3k and run it to redline.  Tried to wheely it but I think a traction control mode prevented wheelies.  Nice bike, tall, felt light compared to my C14, duh.  It was a bit buzzy also.  They quoted me just under 18k (can't remember if that was OTD or just the bike, I wasn't gonna buy it anyway.  C14 did damn good though, way more than a brand new, top of the food chain bike.

On the way home, I rode my buddy's new bike.  It's a Hayabusa/ZX14 competitor and the riding position is pretty crotch rockety.  Lots of power but also top end biased.  Very smooth. I was only limited by the fact that it had old tires on it, but I wrang its neck well.  The wheelbase is, well, think oil tanker?  Steered like a truck.  I'm quite sure it's stable but don't plan on snapping it around.  My C14 with the SISF had more low end (2-6k) but probably lost out a bit above there.  Not surprising, ithe K1300S weighs 550 lbs and has 175 hp at the crank.

The entire experience made me like my C14 even more.  We stopped at a 'stunter' bar in St Louis for lunch called Shady Jacks.  This is where ROC (Ride of the Century) is based out of, that's stunter lunacy.

Pics of the day (his old yellow 1999 R1100S he traded is shown, the new bike is red)
https://goo.gl/photos/SbhNo5L4fZJFUUwh9

ROC lunacy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wWmGYULfgM
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline feelergaugephil

« Reply #422 on: October 28, 2016, 11:18:29 PM »
I searched through a lot of the 29 pages but couldn't find my query...
I'm selling my 09 and hopefully replacing it with a 2013/14 C14.
On the new one, Ill have K/N air filter and 2 Brothers slip on.....

Can I drill out the Cat (which I can see down the pipe when slip on is off) and if I do get most of that cat out, will that affect your programming ECU flash which I will send you....
Or leave that cat in (which must restrict these pipes somewhat)
Cheers, Phil.
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #423 on: October 29, 2016, 12:31:30 AM »
I searched through a lot of the 29 pages but couldn't find my query...
I'm selling my 09 and hopefully replacing it with a 2013/14 C14.
On the new one, Ill have K/N air filter and 2 Brothers slip on.....

Can I drill out the Cat (which I can see down the pipe when slip on is off) and if I do get most of that cat out, will that affect your programming ECU flash which I will send you.... Or leave that cat in (which must restrict these pipes somewhat)

It has been answered in other threads, if not this one.  The one-way, flow-through CAT on the Concours is not restrictive in the stock system.  Removing it from the stock exhaust system doesn't meaningfully affect air flow.  You would gain almost nothing, and it won't affect the fuel injection programming at all.  Pretty much the same thing with replacing the muffler.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline feelergaugephil

« Reply #424 on: October 29, 2016, 12:35:45 AM »
It has been answered in other threads, if not this one.  The one-way, flow-through CAT on the Concours is not restrictive in the stock system.  Removing it from the stock exhaust system doesn't meaningfully affect air flow.  You would gain almost nothing, and it won't affect the fuel injection programming at all.  Pretty much the same thing with replacing the muffler.

Thx Max,  been in forums about 2hrs now,  now I'm leaning to Area P full exhaust,,,, damn, I should close this browser..... lol.
Dont take my LOW post count as being a new Connie owner, I have been with the "other site" before it imploded........

13 Connie dressed in blue

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #425 on: October 29, 2016, 06:08:19 AM »
Thx Max,  been in forums about 2hrs now,  now I'm leaning to Area P full exhaust,,,, damn, I should close this browser..... lol.

Yep, that is the popular way to actually make a difference in performance- different header, pipe, and muffler.  For that you will need a different flash (FI map) or to run a PC.  And yeah, there is a LOT to read on the forums!

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #426 on: October 29, 2016, 08:51:42 AM »
Here's a video of a 30 to 120 roll on, bags and top box full, of a bike fitted with a yoshimura pipe and the Shoodaben Area p flash. This will give the same performance as the full area p pipe / flash. 30 to 120 in 6 seconds. Not bad.  steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvQ062KBX5A

Offline srech77

« Reply #427 on: April 05, 2017, 09:24:29 AM »
Just installed the ECU with SISF "Evolution" flash on my 2012 C14 ... I won't do a super lengthy review because there is already a wealth of info backing up how worthwhile Steve's flashes are. I actually did my best to go into it being a little skeptical, just because I didn't want to preempt myself that it was the greatest thing in the world before I even had a chance to ride the bike. Just a couple key areas I was really impressed with: The 60-70 mph roll-on in the higher gears (5, and OD) it's really impressive the difference in throttle response and torque just cruising at highway speeds, and rolling on the throttle with this flash - with a stock ECU, it feels a bit "boggy" and piggish, and with the flash it just shoots forward like a rocket, very crisp and articulated ... and SMOOTH! When he says you can probably use a gear or two higher in most circumstances, he definitely means it! Even though this was the "Evolution" flash, and not the Area P, I think the power increase almost gets a bit understated, just because the goal of the evolution flash is to be more refined and smooth, which it is! But the power curve is so smooth, that you almost don't even realize how much harder the bike pulls through the rev range - truly incredible. The acceleration almost reminds me of the zx10r I used to have - and having that feeling on a fully-loaded sport touring bike is nuts!

I also noticed the bike didn't seem to be as "vibey" as before ... just overall very smooth, and at first glance I believe there was a 3-4 mpg increase in fuel economy cruising along at leisure. It's truly a "shoodaben" situation - feels like the bike is making the kind of power, and more easily, that it shoodaben making from the factory - doesn't have to struggle as hard to do the same amount of work as before. Also seems like the low rpms (under 4k) when I was idling slowly through my neighborhood were much smoother, didn't have any hiccups or surging of any sort that I sometimes noticed when I would get into that low range in 2nd or 3rd gear.

I'm very eager to get some more saddle time with the new flash, I was only able to go for a 20-30 mile ride yesterday to test it out. Anyway, thanks SISF for breathing life into that bike, you've made a believer out of me! Cheers -

Offline saxaphool

« Reply #428 on: April 12, 2017, 03:33:01 PM »
Got my ECU back last Tuesday and got it hooked up. Bike started fine, so my wife hopped on and we rode about 30 miles to where she rides horses. I wasn't blown away like so many other people have been. I felt the like the bike responded better, but with the wifey, it was hard to tell. After dropping her off, I ran solo for a bit and started to feel what the hype was all about, but still wasn't blown away. Since last Tuesday, I've had the opportunity to ride several more times solo, and I've become a Believer! The bike pulls all the way through the throttle. TBH I think I was being too timid on the throttle at first...you really have to give it some gas, but when you do, better hold on. Great upgrade! Well worth the $$$. Thanks Steve....can't wait for Evo II!
2016 C14, Cee Bailey Ultra Tour, Kaoko Throttle Lock, HeliBar Risers, Hyper-Lights Brake Lights, Steve's Evo Flash...more to come!

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #429 on: April 17, 2017, 01:44:27 PM »
Haven't been on for a while, but I did recently upgrade from the decel flash (which I really liked, a big step up from the Guhl flash) to the Evo flash. 2 things strike me, bearing in mind that I don't know what the specific differences are between decel and evo:

1) Seems to have more oomph at low end, aka 2500 rpm. And it was never sluggish before with the decel flash.  I run around a gear higher just to feel the giddier low rpm acceleration.  That means it's quieter too, because I have a slip on that is not obnoxious but definitely gets louder as the rpm increases.

2) Very smooth and linear. I notice a very direct combination between the throttle used and the acceleration received.

I am pleased, made a very fun bike even more so.
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #430 on: December 17, 2018, 05:15:53 PM »
I was waiting for adequate data and information before posting.  Believe it or not, I have replaced Guhl's ECU Flash with Steve's (Shooudaben) Mountain Runner ECU Flash.  Have been using it for over two months now and over 1,000 miles.  I was hoping it would be longer before posting, but the riding season is well past and so the miles come slowly now :)

Keep in mind it has been many years since I have ridden with the stock ECU, so my observations are mostly to contrast and compare the two re-flashes.  The most striking difference with Shoodaben is the ease of shifting- both up and down, both clutchfull and clutchless.  I am not exactly sure the theory about how this is possible with a flash.  But it is real and impressive, and seems to hold through all gears (of course, it is MOST noticeable in lower gears) and most all situations.  I also believe the Shoodaben flash also has a better tolerance of lower RPM in higher gears.

Throttle control at lower RPM/speed is also easier.  I can verify it is probably not necessary to have a "Throttle Tamer" (G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube) when you have the Shoodaben flash.... but since I do have one and I don't want to remove it (it is a nice metal tube that is so much nicer to use than the stock plastic one).  If you have both the Shoodaben flash AND the Throttle Tamer, the "taming" is a little overdone (something I feared a bit, but as it turns out, it isn't so overdone that it is a problem.... at least not for me, just takes a bit a practice).

Performance wise, I notice no difference.  But I didn't expect to, either.  Both are strong and fast and eliminate the horrible stock lag and weak spots; the huge difference over stock are present on both flashes.  I would characterize the Guhl as more twitchy and hyper, and the Shoodaben as more refined and reasonable.

I logged exact fuel mileage over many tanks, before and after the reflash.  I do not notice any statistically significant difference in fuel economy between the two.  Both are an improvement over stock by a few MPG.

Overall, I think the Shoodaben flash is much better, especially for the 99% of riding most of us do.  The bike is smoother, more predictable, more comfortable, and more enjoyable to ride.  I greatly enjoyed interacting with Steve.  He is professional, competent, prompt, more than willing to answer any questions, and cares about customer satisfaction very much.  He put a lot of time and refining effort into the product, and it shows.

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #431 on: December 18, 2018, 09:52:00 AM »
Sorry if this has been answered but is this tune compatible if the secondary flies have been removed?

Offline jaymohn

« Reply #432 on: December 18, 2018, 10:42:53 AM »
You will want to put your flies back in for this tune.  I've talked to Steve several times and he will state that the flies are a big part of his tune. 
I had to put mine back in and it was not too difficult, just take your time and make sure to line them up properly so they don't hit.  There is a great posting on this if you search for it. 

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #433 on: December 18, 2018, 03:48:18 PM »
Sorry if this has been answered but is this tune compatible if the secondary flies have been removed?

No.  You probably won't find a tune like that- the 80% gain is through manipulation of the flies, if those are gone, there isn't much use case anymore.  My suggestion, like others', is to put the flies back in, then flash it.

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #434 on: December 19, 2018, 02:59:30 PM »
No.  You probably won't find a tune like that- the 80% gain is through manipulation of the flies, if those are gone, there isn't much use case anymore.  My suggestion, like others', is to put the flies back in, then flash it.
For not much of a gain it doesn't make much sense for me to go through the time to put the flies in and pay for a tune.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #435 on: December 19, 2018, 03:27:18 PM »
For not much of a gain it doesn't make much sense for me to go through the time to put the flies in and pay for a tune.

You won't gain much in actual, raw performance over just removing the flies.  But you WILL gain a lot in rideability/refinement.  If you were willing to spend the $ on a flash, and had the parts and inclination/time to reinstall the flies, I would say the rideability gains are worth it.

Offline tbanzer

« Reply #436 on: December 20, 2018, 08:13:49 AM »
You won't gain much in actual, raw performance over just removing the flies.  But you WILL gain a lot in rideability/refinement.  If you were willing to spend the $ on a flash, and had the parts and inclination/time to reinstall the flies, I would say the rideability gains are worth it.
Ok Thanks.

Offline anolting15

« Reply #437 on: January 04, 2019, 11:37:53 AM »
I got the mountain runner flash on my 08 Connie, and man what a difference. Much smoother in between shifts and the power is just incredible. Kawasaki royally screwed up their tuning, but Steve did a hell of a job with his flash. Couldn't recommend this flash enough. I won't have another bike because of it.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #438 on: January 04, 2019, 03:18:59 PM »
Kawasaki royally screwed up their tuning

Remember, Kawasaki *has* to screw it up some to meet various regulations.  Despite that,  they could have done a much better job, but I believe their hands are somewhat tied on a good portion of it.

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #439 on: January 04, 2019, 08:55:01 PM »
Almost all the snow has melted off the roads so I came home at lunch today and got the bike out. Just put the ECU back in after getting it back from Steve with a Mountain Runner reflash.  Went back to work and then back home in the evening, about 45 minutes each way. WOW! I'm amazed that it is so much smoother. The power will require relearning throttle control in traffic. I kept coming up on peoples bumpers unexpectedly! And I keep running 5MPH faster than I'm used to. Steve states you'll find yourself riding 1 or 2 gears higher than your used to. 1st day "issue" for me was shifting about 1,000 RPM higher than normal as it was so smooth and quick for the same throttle input and then being significantly over the speed limit. (Hope Steve is providing "speeding ticket payment assistance" as part of the deal!) Shifts have smoothed out to an amazing degree. I've read the reports that say all this but it doesn't hit home until you experience it yourself.

GREAT product, Steve! Thank you!