Author Topic: I will not run away  (Read 17219 times)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
Re: I will not run away
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2012, 07:51:18 AM »
Here ya go.  ;D

http://www.fathers.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=60

Thanks.  I have already sent an email with the link and some comments to the schools pricipal who I know very well.  I will also see her tomorrow when I go to the school.  We will see what I can work out.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2012, 08:03:53 AM »
Just a comment regarding emergency responder response time:

Last summer I had a "cardiac issue" while working in my yard.  I used my cell phone to call 911 (thought it was a heart attack because it quit beating for about 5 seconds or so, and I nearly passed out, turned out to be something else).  The local fire/EMT station is only 1.3 miles from my house.  It took them over 10 minutes to get to me.  That was OK, as it turned out I was in no immediate danger, they took real good care of me and they ended up taking me to the ER which is 35 miles away.

My point is: If I had needed a police response or armed assistance, it could have been twice that long at least, due to the locations of the local county sheriff's depot, unless an officer just happened to be on the road closer to my house.  Us people out in the thulies need to be able to look out for ourselves in that respect.  A LOT of $41T can come down on you in 10 minutes.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »
Just a comment regarding emergency responder response time:

Last summer I had a "cardiac issue" while working in my yard.  I used my cell phone to call 911 (thought it was a heart attack because it quit beating for about 5 seconds or so, and I nearly passed out, turned out to be something else).  The local fire/EMT station is only 1.3 miles from my house.  It took them over 10 minutes to get to me.  That was OK, as it turned out I was in no immediate danger, they took real good care of me and they ended up taking me to the ER which is 35 miles away.

My point is: If I had needed a police response or armed assistance, it could have been twice that long at least, due to the locations of the local county sheriff's depot, unless an officer just happened to be on the road closer to my house.  Us people out in the thulies need to be able to look out for ourselves in that respect.  A LOT of $41T can come down on you in 10 minutes.

+1.  Living only about 45 miles outside of DC, we are still pretty country in my county.  It is a large county with not many officers.  If they happen to be at the southern end of the county, it would be a good 20 minutes plus before they could get to my place in the northern part of the county.  And that is with them flying.  It takes me about 40-45 minutes driving 5mph over the posted speed limit to get from one end to the other. And that is a 55mph main road.

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2012, 08:04:33 PM »
Someone mentioned the added liability.  No doubt that someone in our litigious society would target armed teachers as a target for lawsuits.  That said, there are already plenty of things in even public secondary schools that can be deadly.  Having taught science I can tell you first hand that there are plenty of things in many classrooms that could be used as lethal weapons.  There are toxic chemicals and scalpels in the closet of any good science teacher.  Further, they often put these things out with the expressed intention of letting students handle them.  We even encourage it.  I mean one pissed off kid dissecting a frog could go ape and do all kinds of harm.  Remember the 9-11 hijackers used what?  box knives wasn't it? 

How many kids could be murdered by one really pissed off school lunch lady?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2012, 11:05:16 AM »
How many kids could be murdered by one really pissed off school lunch lady?
To hear my kids tell it, since the recent federal requirements for school lunches, they're being slowly poisoned by the lunch lady.   :rotflmao:
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157