Author Topic: What happens if we fall off the edge of our flat Earth?  (Read 15561 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: What happens if we fall off the edge of our flat Earth?
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 10:20:42 PM »
....and very probably, in some way or another, money.

What's that saying..."Crazy like a Fox."..? ...ah maybe..
 Sponsors, T-shirts, internet pay per view, etc.
 http://www.madmikehughes.com/
https://www.facebook.com/madmikehughes/

Well maybe not so fox like, couldn't find a place to pay for the pay per view and the launch is tomorrow?
I expect it to get canceled just like his jump over Palo Duro Canyon was in 2016.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 06:25:10 AM »
Wow, they still make those things! I had one of those when I was a child. (1950s) I recall mine was a two stage model made of white plastic with a transparent red tip (EZ boyz). I don't recall the two stage action working very well. Sometimes it fell to the ground and the hard impact would set the second stage off and it would spin around in the grass.
 ....ahhh yes those were the days my friends...polio; bomb shelters; footwear abuse at the UN; sputnik; cigarette smoke everywhere; separate water fountains; TV dinners; and...and...Cheez Whiz!
Just to get back on topic sorta, there where no pictures (fake or otherwise) from space showing a round earth. Only world globes made by those Replogle conspirators.

I loved those water rockets when I was a kid and I had a bunch of them! Thus my comment about getting them stuck on the garage roof.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2017, 06:27:12 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_flat_Earth_societies

It's hard to believe there are really people that stupid out there.  But, alas.

Really? It's proven everyday.

You got that right GP!    ;)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2017, 08:47:53 PM »
Well, he had to cancel his launch.  Seems he can't keep his motorhome running.  Sort of calls into question his mechanical abilities, ya think?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/man-cancels-rocket-launch-to-prove-earth-is-flat/ar-BBFCP08?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=msnbcrd
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2017, 05:54:16 AM »
Well, he had to cancel his launch.  Seems he can't keep his motorhome running.  Sort of calls into question his mechanical abilities, ya think?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/man-cancels-rocket-launch-to-prove-earth-is-flat/ar-BBFCP08?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=msnbcrd

A man who believes Earth is flat, and was ready to launch himself from a rocket in California on Saturday afternoon to prove it, has canceled his plans. At least for now.

Not having the required federal permits plus mechanical problems with his "motorhome/rocket launcher" forced self-taught rocket scientist "Mad" Mike Hughes to put his experiment on hold.

The U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) "told me they would not allow me to do the event ... at least not at that location," Hughes said in a YouTube announcement, amid international attention over his plans to launch into the 'atmosflat.'

"It's been very disappointing," he said.

How can he be a rocket scientist if he doesn't believe in science?   

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2017, 09:37:02 AM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 02:56:17 PM »
The whole testing thing is ridiculous because.....

As the proud owner of a 5 month old kitten, I can vouch for the accuracy of that poster. This is when she is NOT in her 'clear the desk' or 'destroy that roll of paper towels' mode:

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 04:58:32 PM »

As the proud owner of a 5 month old kitten, I can vouch for the accuracy of that poster. This is when she is NOT in her 'clear the desk' or 'destroy that roll of paper towels' mode:

Brian

When our cats were young they would jump on the bathroom vanity counter ... and turn on the water  :o

So I switched the faucet handles from:

to:

... and that leverage reduction worked!  8)

Wow ... cat thread ... well, that's about as good as a flat earth thread.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 02:35:24 AM »
curious, wonder why you chaps haven't changed the spelling to "fawset" ;)

And anyways what's wrong with calling them taps :)

When our cats were young they would jump on the bathroom vanity counter ... and turn on the water  :o

So I switched the faucet handles from:

to:

... and that leverage reduction worked!  8)

Wow ... cat thread ... well, that's about as good as a flat earth thread.
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 02:46:32 AM »
Careful now Mike, you live in a country where you have to mark the hot and cold taps (see how I got around the spelling of faucet?) so you know which one you are gonna' get. We in the colonies figured out that if we always put hot on the same side, we can easily grab the right side even in the dark. In fact, it has become of the three simple rules of plumbing in the US:
1) Hot on the left.
2) Cold on the right.
3) Sh!t don't go uphill.

And there you have it.

As far as faucet and taps, the faucet is most often the entire fixture, containing the taps, if the fixture has them. More often now though we use a 'stick' that regulates both the temp. and flow of the water.

Tomorrow's lesson: you use the Knife to push the food onto the Fork, and eat with that impliment, not the other way around. And the tines of the fork face UP, not down, so it acts as a natural carrier, with the bow downward in the center.

;) ;D ::)

Brian

curious, wonder why you chaps haven't changed the spelling to "fawset" ;)

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 03:53:20 AM »
Snip...

Taps are reserved for our all important beer! We wouldn't want anyone confusing the two you know?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 05:54:55 AM »
Taps are reserved for our all important beer! We wouldn't want anyone confusing the two you know?

That!,
......and there is the whole tap wrench/faucet wrench problem as well.
does not =

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 07:21:10 AM »
You beat me to it..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2017, 07:58:29 AM »
This is what happens when I don't log in for almost a week over Thanksgiving, I miss a thread like this. I agree with Brian, nothing more than a publicity stunt. If he is smart enough to build/acquire the rocket, he certainly knows the earth is round. Besides, what would a ride to 1800' tell him that a 40,000' ride in an airliner wouldn't?

Wait... I'm actually trying to make this whole thing rational... wrong! Let's get back to beer taps and old school water/air pressure rockets!

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2017, 09:30:23 AM »

My taps are all Hot on the left and cold to the right as well. In fact pretty much every tap I've used falls into that category IIRC :)

That includes the bathroom ones which are single lever (pronounced leeee ver) where you lift to control the flow, swing to the left to increase temp and to the right to decrease temp

Where I do believe there is a big difference is that you guys generally  don't go in for this sort of setup where the taps are completely separate :)

That said most new builds these days have mixer taps of one description or another.

Careful now Mike, you live in a country where you have to mark the hot and cold taps (see how I got around the spelling of faucet?) so you know which one you are gonna' get. We in the colonies figured out that if we always put hot on the same side, we can easily grab the right side even in the dark. In fact, it has become of the three simple rules of plumbing in the US:
1) Hot on the left.
2) Cold on the right.
3) Sh!t don't go uphill.

And there you have it.

As far as faucet and taps, the faucet is most often the entire fixture, containing the taps, if the fixture has them. More often now though we use a 'stick' that regulates both the temp. and flow of the water.

Tomorrow's lesson: you use the Knife to push the food onto the Fork, and eat with that impliment, not the other way around. And the tines of the fork face UP, not down, so it acts as a natural carrier, with the bow downward in the center.

;) ;D ::)

Brian
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2017, 09:31:10 AM »
This is what happens when I don't log in for almost a week over Thanksgiving, I miss a thread like this. I agree with Brian, nothing more than a publicity stunt. If he is smart enough to build/acquire the rocket, he certainly knows the earth is round. Besides, what would a ride to 1800' tell him that a 40,000' ride in an airliner wouldn't?

Wait... I'm actually trying to make this whole thing rational... wrong! Let's get back to beer taps and old school water/air pressure rockets!

is that a metric or Imperial thread?
--

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2017, 10:37:05 AM »
My taps are all Hot on the left and cold to the right as well. In fact pretty much every tap I've used falls into that category IIRC :)

That includes the bathroom ones which are single lever (pronounced leeee ver) where you lift to control the flow, swing to the left to increase temp and to the right to decrease temp

Where I do believe there is a big difference is that you guys generally  don't go in for this sort of setup where the taps are completely separate :)

That said most new builds these days have mixer taps of one description or another.

We have both types here as well.   I have both types in my home.  And what I meant is the taps themselves.   I can't say that I've ever seen a set with separate faucets.  All of ours have a single faucet with either integrated or separate handles.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:53:52 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2017, 12:40:41 PM »
OK, but not all that long ago (2001), I had a very good friend from England, and he often found domestic water controls on either side of the fixture in his travels.

Not sure what you mean by taps but if it is the complete water delivery device, flow control as well as outlet, then yep, we <almost> do not have them anymore. Often two controls but only one outlet for the water. I have used separated delivery faucets and they are really pretty inhospitable: one side is ice cold and the other side will scorch you..... washing ones' hands becomes an adventure.  ::)

Brian

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2017, 01:49:50 PM »
the technique is to put a plug in the plughole, mix the water in the bowl then wash your hands ;)

OK, but not all that long ago (2001), I had a very good friend from England, and he often found domestic water controls on either side of the fixture in his travels.

Not sure what you mean by taps but if it is the complete water delivery device, flow control as well as outlet, then yep, we <almost> do not have them anymore. Often two controls but only one outlet for the water. I have used separated delivery faucets and they are really pretty inhospitable: one side is ice cold and the other side will scorch you..... washing ones' hands becomes an adventure.  ::)

Brian
--