Author Topic: Fiscal deal and Sandy Relief PORK-----Enjoy  (Read 3264 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Fiscal deal and Sandy Relief PORK-----Enjoy
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:30:40 AM »
‘Fiscal Cliff’ Deal Also Doles Out Millions for Hollywood, Railroads, Rum Producers.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/01/fiscal-cliff-deal-also-doles-out-millions-for-hollywood-railroads-rum-producers/

$430 million for Hollywood through “special expensing rules” to encourage TV and film production in the United States.  Producers can expense up to $15 million of costs for their projects.

$331 million for railroads by allowing short-line and regional operators to claim a tax credit up to 50 percent of the cost to maintain tracks that they own or lease.

$222 million for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands through returned excise taxes collected by the federal government on rum produced in the islands and imported to the mainland.

$70 million for NASCAR by extending a “7-year cost recovery period for certain motorsports racing track facilities.”

$59 million for algae growers through tax credits to encourage production of “cellulosic biofuel” at up to $1.01 per gallon.

$4 million for electric motorcycle makers by expanding an existing green-energy tax credit for buyers of plug-in vehicles to include electric motorbikes.

Sandy Relief Bill
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/336755/can-we-relax-about-sandy-relief-second-daniel-foster#

•$2 million to repair damage to the roofs of museums in Washington, D.C., while many in Hurricane Sandy’s path still have no roof over their own heads.

•$150 million for fisheries as far away from the storm’s path as Alaska.

•$125 million for the Department of Agriculture’s Emergency Watershed Protection program, which helps restore watersheds damaged by wildfires and drought.

•$20 million for a nationwide Water Resources Priorities Study.

•$15 million for NASA facilities, though NASA itself has called its damage from the hurricane ‘minimal.’

•$50 million in subsidies for tree planting on private properties.

•$336 million for taxpayer-supported AMTRAK without any detailed plan for how the money will be spent.

•$5.3 billion for the Army Corps of Engineers – more than the Corps’ annual budget – with no statement of priorities about how to spend the money.

•$12.9 billion for future disaster mitigation activities and studies, without identifying a single way to pay for it.

Offline MrPepsi

Re: Fiscal deal and Sandy Relief PORK-----Enjoy
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »
This should be in the Arena.
This will turn political in 5.. 4.. 3.....
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »
It is political but it's also our money. If the comments don't get out of hand why move it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:36:58 AM »
That's my stand...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:17:48 PM »
What can we do about these people in Washington??Are we doomed? :-X
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 08:34:10 PM »
What can we do about these people in Washington??Are we doomed? :-X

Yes, we are.  Seriously, it is only a question of when and how bad it will be.  Our politicians, both sides, just keep pushing the inevitable off.
Each time they do, it only makes the inevitable worse.  We are already past the point of any "easy" solution.  Can you imagine what would
happen if cuts to things like food stamps were enacted?  My word, they're giving away free cell phones now.  I'm not even talking about cutting
off the freebies.  If they even made any serious, meaningful reductions I truly believe we would see rioting unlike anything America has seen before.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 11:06:38 PM »
 " $222 million for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands through returned excise taxes collected by the federal government on rum produced in the islands and imported to the mainland."

Jeeezzzz.  I supported the rum industry for many years.  ;)  Perhaps I could get a refund on my "corporate donations"?
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 03:44:36 PM »
    $430 million for Hollywood through “special expensing rules” to encourage TV and film production in the United States.  Producers can expense up to $15 million of costs for their projects.

Payback for all the campaign contributions and fund raisers.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 03:56:03 PM »
yep Just read the wind farms got another round of our money too.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 07:29:24 PM »
This kind of stuff just makes me sick unless I'm a Hollywood movie maker, a rum runner from Puerto Rico, a Nascar track owner, a railroad owner, an electric mc manufacturer, or an algae grower...  I ain't none of the above but I'm paying for this crap.  I can moan all day but it won't change a thing.  This stuff has been going on for years, not just showing up now.  I hates it I does.. >:(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 07:30:38 PM »
I just wrote to my Congressman Tiberi in Ohio and essentially told him that the republicans, including him, need to grow a pair. WTH is wrong with these people. Are they fr%#king Democrats or what?? :deadhorse: Portman is next!  :o
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Excavator

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 09:14:29 PM »
My congressman Tim Griffin - Ar. voted against the bill. He is a true conservative and understands this legislation does not address our debt. This man even refuses to accept his retirement when he is done serving. We need more like Tim griffin.