Author Topic: Keep your mind on what you're doing.  (Read 2571 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Keep your mind on what you're doing.
« on: May 23, 2012, 11:52:09 AM »
Riding south Texas with a few friends. Stopped off at Becker's Winery outide Fredricksberg for a tasting, then just sat around and admired all of the bachelorette parties. Saturday's at Becker's is a great lady watching place, but I digress.

Gravel parking lot, about to leave. One of the group had pulled the nose of his Harley in between my side bags and my buddy's K1300S. As I was putting my gloves on, the Harley guy lifts his bike up off the side stand and bumps my left bag with his front tire. So, in haste to prevent said Harley from causing scratches on my left side bag, I lifted off the side stand and started to make a tight R/H U-turn, rather than backing up like I had originally planned.

Well, there just wasn't as much room going that way as I had expected and I needed to slow down. Thought I had it straight enough to touch the front brake. WRONG! Connie began to lean to the right and with the reduced traction of the gravel, I couldn't stop her from going over. It was a VERY slow layover, but a layover none the less.

BMW buddy comes over to help me as I'm lifting it with my back to the bike. He flips the side stand down for me and helps me get it the rest of the way up. Very light scuff on the tip of the mirror, hardly noticable. Same on the front lower corner of the side bag and the edge of the lowers right by where you're shin sits. More dirt than scratched, but there were quite a few witnesses. I think my ego was more damaged than my Connie.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Conrad

Re: Keep your mind on what you're doing.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:14:59 PM »
Wine, gravel, and Connie. No good could ever come of that.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn