Author Topic: Time to say hello  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Gorio

Time to say hello
« on: October 07, 2016, 10:55:25 AM »
I bought a 06 Concours recently and have been take advantage of the knowledge base here to get some of the maintenance done as well as check out the rest of the bike.
The bike did have a hands off wobble which spooked a bit when bringing the bike home. When going over things to see what the matter might be  I found that it was impossible to get any pre-load on the front wheel bearing. With axle torqued there was still play in the front wheel.
So apart things come and what do I find but tow oil seals on the left side of the wheel. The one you would expect to retain the grease in the speedo-drive and one that someone decided was need to seal bearing side.
So out came what where likely pretty new wheel bearings, Also did the head bearing as I am pretty sure that the races at least where originals.
Presto no more wobble. Of course this will now mean checking everything on the bike that has ever had work done on it to make sure it was put back together properly.
I back to a Japanese motorcycle for the first time in many years so we will see how that goes. Thanks to all here who have shared there knowledge to make things easier for those that follow.
Hi from Vancouver Island.
Motorcycle history
1975 Norton Commando New
Kawasaki 750GPZ
Honda 750 Interceptor
Honda VFR800
860 Ducati
BMW R90s
and now the Concours.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Time to say hello
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 04:42:00 AM »
Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 04:23:11 AM »
A warm welcome from the U.K   :)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline amphibsailor

• Just call me Cap'n Crunch, Ted.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 05:46:18 AM »
Welcome from Europe.  You've found a great fountain of knowledge on this forum! :finger_fing11:
09 Concours aka Cruncher: Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 lines, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg on the way),  Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 10:48:11 PM »
Welcome. Enjoy the read.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 03:00:37 AM »
Welcome mate!  :)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 06:10:32 AM »
Welcome to the loony bin, Homie! 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Gorio

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 06:52:22 PM »
Thanks for the greetings guys.
I do check in between riding and repairing.
The Mrs and I managed a ride up to Gold River the other day to try out the C10 two up and all went well.
If you are not familiar with the area Google map the road between Campbell River and Gold River, BC.
This is likely the best motorcycle road on Vancouver Island. Scenic, twisty and mostly in half decent shape.
If you ever get this way don't miss it.

Offline SofaKingFast

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 10:06:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum, from Lake Stevens, WA!  I had a 2006 Concours which had a wobble in the front at about 35 mph.  Wonder if you might have bought my old bike - I traded it in on a C14 early this year.

Vancouver Island is a great place for riding, enjoy the new bike!
Current bike 2016 C14, Gray
Previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 KZ1000
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline Gorio

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 12:15:01 PM »
I don't think it is yours as it is a Canadian Market bike. The wobble was easy enough to fix it seems. It just required the removal of the extra oil seal in the front axle (there was three in there) and new head bearings. The bike seems good now.

How are you liking the C14 compared to the C10?

I was down your way few weeks back looking at a BMW RT in Fall City but came back without it. Took some of the secondary roads in the area and enjoyed it very much.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 12:27:52 PM »
Welcome Gorio.

Ride safe, Ted