Author Topic: Polaris gets into the electric motorcycles biz.  (Read 5804 times)

Offline sanmo

• Arena
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Polaris gets into the electric motorcycles biz.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 03:53:19 PM »
Harley did a fabulous job, no doubt Victory will do the same. That Harley is the only electric bike I would even consider at this point.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 04:08:16 PM »
This should be interesting. Brammo was one of the ebike pioneers and is well ahead of the curve. With Polaris' deep pockets the R&D should be well funded.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 05:56:34 PM »
I would have bought a Zero electric, but then I found out no rebates in my State.  I have a hard time paying more for something than the next guy.  They make a dual sport that I thought would be fun to sneak up on bambi.

I also heard Polaris is going to build a large manufacturing facility in Huntsville, AL.  With all the PhDs and skilled workers in the area I could see them putting a plant there.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 06:40:40 AM »
Harley did a fabulous job, no doubt Victory will do the same. That Harley is the only electric bike I would even consider at this point.
I get the sense that you have already test ridden the Livewire. Have they been able to extend the range beyond the 30 - 50 miles indicated in the June reviews?  I prefer the Brammo Empulse styling to the HD Livewire. Looks as if Polaris will be marketing their product much earlier than HD.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 07:13:59 AM »
I will be surprised if HD ever goes to other than token production.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 07:31:03 AM »
I suppose Harley could get Lucas to do the electrics so it had dependability issues but how will they make it loud? And where will the oil leaks come from?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 08:02:55 AM »
 :)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 06:00:46 PM »
I suppose Harley could get Lucas to do the electrics so it had dependability issues but how will they make it loud? And where will the oil leaks come from?

Seems plenty of C14's leak oil from various places, bet most Harley's leak less. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 06:52:20 PM »

Haters gonna hate.  The only thing that keeps me from buying a modern HD is the price and the fact that everyone has one.  I like that seeing someone on the same bike as me is a very rare occurrence.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 10:00:14 PM »
Having never owned a Suzuki, Ducati, Moto Guzi, Aprilla, Ural, Indian, Ariel, or countless other motorcycles, I don't feel qualified to proffer an opinion on the positive or negative attributes of aforementioned vehicles.

Having owned and ridden Harleys since the 70's I feel more than a little qualified to comment on both the strong points and the weaknesses of Milwaukee Iron. I stuck with Harley thru the dark years of AMF and all the associated headaches that went with that era. Since I currently still own both a Big Twin and a Sportster AND I own a few shares of stock, I think I am entitled to fire off a shot at the MoCo from time to time. I use the term "entitled"  due to the dozens of times I've been broke down along the road and the hundreds of oil leaks I've repaired on my Harleys over the years.

While I may be new to this forum, I am NOT new to motorcycles. Especially not to Harley Davidsons.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 07:03:58 AM »
Having never owned a Suzuki, Ducati, Moto Guzi, Aprilla, Ural, Indian, Ariel, or countless other motorcycles, I don't feel qualified to proffer an opinion on the positive or negative attributes of aforementioned vehicles.

Having owned and ridden Harleys since the 70's I feel more than a little qualified to comment on both the strong points and the weaknesses of Milwaukee Iron. I stuck with Harley thru the dark years of AMF and all the associated headaches that went with that era. Since I currently still own both a Big Twin and a Sportster AND I own a few shares of stock, I think I am entitled to fire off a shot at the MoCo from time to time. I use the term "entitled"  due to the dozens of times I've been broke down along the road and the hundreds of oil leaks I've repaired on my Harleys over the years.

While I may be new to this forum, I am NOT new to motorcycles. Especially not to Harley Davidsons.

So, are you saying that today's Harley is no better than the AMF days?  Your post implied that they are still making the poor decisions that were made in the past by implying that they would pick a company with known quality issues to produce their electric motorcycle.  The ratio of HD to any other bike I see with I am out touring the byways of the US is probably 50 to 1.  When I stop in at the local HD dealerships for a break while on a ride I see many touring bikes with over 80,000 miles on them in the used bike section. 

My Concours Travels:

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 07:41:55 AM »
The currently produced Harleys are light years ahead of where they were when I started riding them. As a matter of fact, they are, for the most part, excellent machines. And getting better all the time. For what they are. Like I said, I still own 2.

I think Harleys are a styling statement for the most part. On virtually every trip I took on my last Electra Glide at least one person would comment on what a good looking bike it was. Even when it was 9 years old with 90k on the clock. That ain't gonna happen on my Concours.

Old time Harley owners are generally very resistant to change. The MoCo is giving their current customers what they want. Thats why they are thriving. I'm at a point in my life where I want something a bit more technologically advanced than what Harley currently offers.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 05:35:19 PM »
I get compliments about my Concours all the time.  I guess it is the black and chrome theme I have going.  8)
My Concours Travels:

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 06:16:22 PM »
Harley, Victory, Indian.....are very technologically advanced, their keyless FOB systems and electronics overall work amazing, and they have closed loop FI systems that run damn near perfect. Owners want the "clunk" of the transmissions, and their belt drive systems and tranny are big time dependable. Harley has some issues with their cam chain tensionor guides wearing out prematurely, but I know that Victory and I believe Indian have gear driven cams? No valve adjustments to dick with, so I guess it is all in what you like, the C14 and other sport touring machines have basically high performance sport bike engines in them. Off the line and up to quarter mile many twins can eat lots of inline 4's for breakfast, look no further than NHRA and see how the Vrods do so well. Hate on the lifestyle and fake-ness of some all you want when it comes to HD folks and the like, but the bikes themselves are damn good machines.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 06:50:30 PM »
Good bikes indeed. Antiquated and inefficient, but good. With the exception of the Porsche designed V-Rod. I've said since the V-Rod was introduced that the MoCo should offer that engine in a Touring platform. Upgrading to the 83 hp 103 cid engine was a step in the right direction but is still lacking when coupled with a nearly 900 lb machine.

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 04:57:16 AM »
I'd love an electric bike, but I need something more along the lines of the C-10...some wind protection and carrying capacity, and a range of at least 120 miles so I can commute.  Otherwise it's just an expensive toy.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 06:03:21 AM »
I love the qualifier-"they are fine machines for what they are".

The FI systems are almost perfect" built by Delphi. When HD had them design it the engine idled smoothly. They took out the "potato". HD made them tune it back in.

Look at the VRod in NHRA. Porsche engine. Seems like all HD can do is fit and finish.  Theyb do that quite well.

As for mileage on used ones...ya know about that speedo adaptor from Trailer Boyz, right?

I love their ads about things being different on a HD...i dont want to be different like everyone else.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!