Author Topic: Cold weather suit  (Read 4621 times)

Offline byekryam

• "The only way out is through!"
Cold weather suit
« on: November 22, 2015, 09:44:10 PM »
I am looking for a cold weather one piece slip on suit (either electric or not) that is quick on\off and easily slips over boots.  I have been reading the pros and cons on both types.  Been also investigating snow mobile suits.  Not looking to spend a 1,000.00 but prob a few hundred dollars.  I thought it would be easy to find the temperature rating for these suits, but it's been a real challenge.  This is for work so it has to slip over my existing clothing and be easy on\off.  Good for a 45 min to 1 hr ride at temps down to about 25 degrees.  Any insight, feedback, insight would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks,
Wood

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Cold weather suit
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 06:17:04 AM »
Gerbings heated liners with waterproof jacket and pants works for me. I've never owned a one piece.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline bob h

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 06:43:43 AM »
I'm also in the market for cold weather gear.  In the past I had a snowmobile suit, which worked pretty well.  Wore it completely out, and haven't replaced it yet.  I'm thinking of going electric this time.

Worked with a guy that had a one piece riding suit, rainproof and heated.  He rode every day that didn't have ice, about 50 miles.  The suit was quick to put on and take off, comfortable and always kept him warm and dry. 

Offline byekryam

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 10:13:56 AM »
Jim, will check it out, but really looking for the one piece style.

Bob, if you were happy with the snow mobile suit, why not go back?  What made you think it's better to go electric?  Was there anything you were unhappy with the snow mobile suit?  How cold did you ride in it?  What temp was it rated to?  Do you remember the brand?

Do you still work with the guy that had the other suit you mentioned?  Can he tell you the brand\model?

Thanks,
Wood

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 01:30:03 PM »
Once you ever get electric you will understand.  I drove for years year-round in the HOV lanes in NOVA with just a thick down coat, ski gloves, and insulated pull-over pants in the winter down to just below 25F.  I caught one of those 50% sales on jacket liners and got one, then also added heated grips.  OMG - how stupid was I for that long!  It makes riding comfortable and nowhere near as intense (and painful).  I rode 100+ miles to Richmond for a wrenchin' session in 16-19F temps was comfortable.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline byekryam

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 01:43:56 PM »
RFH87,

Ok, then the next question is going to be.......  How quick "on and off" is the items you are describing?  I have the heated grips and seat.  Is a liner something that can be worn as a part of the jacket so normal clothes can be workn underneath this with easy on\easy off?  Then the next question is going to be for leg protection.  I can't see leg protection being easy on\easy off over other clothes when it's considered a "liner".  You don't mention anything about leg protection in your account.  I just know how much time it takes when I go hunting with all I wear, and I don't have that time before and after work, hence why I need easy on and off application.

Also, is all this just connected with a cigarette lighter attachment?  What if you have pants and jacket?  Need 2 cigarette lighter jacks or is there an adapter?

Wood

Offline bob h

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 04:00:18 PM »
Sorry, but I didn't get the name of the electric suit, the company let the guy go, and I've since retired.

The snowmobile suit I used to have was about 20 years ago, before they went high tech.  It was just a generic brand, probably from someplace like tractor supply, sears, target.  I was able to ride 20 miles, down to about 35F.  After that wore out, I wasn't riding to work so often, and got by with leather jacket, pants, and extra layers underneath, just didn't ride when it was below about 45. 

Now that work doesn't interfere, I've been riding more, including colder weather.  Seeing how comfortable the guy with the electric heated suit was in really cold weather is what has me thinking about going electric this time.  Not cheap, but anything that extends riding time is worth a lot!

He was able to change into and out of that suit in no time, that was what I see as an advantage of the one piece.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 07:39:07 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Aerostitch.  I don't have one but my friend Tom swears by his.  But man they ain't cheap.

https://www.aerostich.com/
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline byekryam

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 08:05:06 PM »
Yeah seen Aerostitch, but I just don't have a 1,000.00 - 1,500.00 to spend on a suit.

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 08:20:08 PM »
I used a First Gear Thermo suit for 20 years or so, until if finally gave up the ghost this year in a full day of un-ending rain and cold -- the water repelancy only lasted for 18 years or so. Not a bad value at all for $170:
http://goo.gl/fJv9Om

Offline byekryam

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 10:26:44 PM »
Redz,

In the 20 some years you've been using this suit, you've used it on your C14?  The reason I ask is that I've read a few reviews which state that the material melts\burns easily.  Given the placement of the exhaust by your right leg, and not seeing any read heat shield there on the inside of the right leg, is this an issue?

Wood

Offline Flat-spot

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 01:43:16 AM »
I believe several C14 owners are happy with this heat shield.  Several colors available.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/11612/i/targa-sportbike-exhaust-heatshield

Offline byekryam

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 03:17:21 AM »
Thanks guys

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 05:52:27 AM »
Sorry, I leave work at 3:30.  I only needed a jacket liner that was electric and not the pants (the pants I wore thin ski pants over my work pants since they have the big zipper at the bottom).  Don't forget to flip the foot scoops in the winter too.  Grips of course are high or low and are connected to the ignition so it won't kill the battery.  As for the jacket, it is a Gerbing's.  You buy a liner so it fits snug to you - minimal air gap.  I simply remove the insulated layer from my riding jacket and everything fits great.  I also wear a neck muffler pulled up to my chin (our Kohl's carries nice ones at the moment).  I found that this configuration worked great for me.

I assembled a digital controller instead of buying one - it's just a digital motor speed controller that pulses the current so none is wasted.  I used a 4-wire trailer connector, switch, and relay to hook everything up and put it in a small black box from Radio Shack Velcroed to a dash shelf I made.  Fun little project - no soldering, just crimping.  I could add 2 more in there but have never needed to.  It all gets removed in the spring by the two screws holding the plate.

Speed controller:
https://www.electronickits.com/dc-pwm-motor-speed-controller-15-amp-max-mx033/
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 08:38:14 PM »
aerostich 2 piece suit
+ Gerbing jacket
and maybe when its arctic, a fleece

= total bliss..

if you are cheap, you will spend 5x the actual cost trying to equal it, then end up buying more.... get wise, buy the real stuff.  one time

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline byekryam

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 06:15:44 AM »
Unfortunately right now I can't possibly afford an aerostitch (just a fact of life)  - maybe one day

<<<< Don't forget to flip the foot scoops in the winter too.  >>>>

What does that mean?

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 09:09:14 AM »
The foot scoop comment is for C10s, pull air in for summer, reverse to deflect air in the winter. Sort of...
I used the suit on my C10, FJR, Speed Triple, and KLR, with no issues on any of them.
Coldest I used it for was at 18°F in the California high desert for 1/2 hour rides -- and then you find out exactly where each stitch is located in your boot soles.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 02:41:56 PM »
Unfortunately right now I can't possibly afford an aerostitch (just a fact of life)  - maybe one day

<<<< Don't forget to flip the foot scoops in the winter too.  >>>>

What does that mean?

on the C10, you remove those black side scoops, and turn invert them, and install them back onto the opposite side they originally were installed on. it offers better heat flow to the foot, but many people just stuff them with foam padding.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 09:09:40 AM »
I use a one piece firefighter's turnout gear.  Goes over boots, e z on, fire retardant and the knees re even padded for when you check tire pressure, etc.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 10:04:17 AM »
I gave away a Fieldsheer 1 piece suit. Very warm (have used it below 10F) but very uncomfortable. Just too bulky and PITA when stopping for a break. Found layering upper and lower to be almost as warm and way more comfortable. If I were still in Colorado and still wanted to ride below 30F I would go electric.