Author Topic: $15 oil filter  (Read 15656 times)

Offline CB Schmaltz

• FLY RIDE SKI SAIL
    • www.BuyNWProperty.com
Re: $15 oil filter
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
perhaps I should have asked with more detail....
some thing like
$15 is too f______ MUCH FOR A BIKE FILTER
anyone use any thing beside Kaw and K & N
with good results

BTW thanxs for the info
will try the links and fram or napa
and dont blame me if some one starts in on
What kind of OIL 2 use  ;)
CB Schmaltz, Hood River, Or
503 806 1525
Connie 14, &  KLR best 2 bikes in the world.
Others in the stalls, VROD, WR250r,  Shadow Spirt, Versys 650, CRF250l, Vsrtom , 75 Z1B

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »
 ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »
If you love your bike, stay away from FRAM.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline scooter

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 05:50:17 PM »
fram filters are junk. napa or wix are both good quality filters.there both made by wix

Offline Z71

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »
I don't remember what I paid because I was in sticker shock over the price of 10/40 M/C oil.

I found to my amazement that Kawasaki filter/oil prices at my local dealer were comparable, or even better than aftermarket prices on equivalent products.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 07:59:15 AM »
Who makes the oil filters for Kawi??
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Zman

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2012, 05:36:06 PM »

Items Ordered                          Qty   Price
K&N KN-303 - SP OIL FILTER   6   $9.99 ea. Delivered

StreetSideAuto.com

Offline Tim

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 07:31:36 PM »
I found to my amazement that Kawasaki filter/oil prices at my local dealer were comparable, or even better than aftermarket prices on equivalent products.

Might be true for you. Closest Kawasaki dealer to me is 60 miles.  The price of gas takes care of getting any savings.
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline clogan

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2013, 09:56:09 PM »
I buy my oil and filters from my local Kaw dealer. Prices are reasonable, and I get a chance to do some tire kickin at the same time. Interesting note: my dealer sells both Kaw oil and Suzuki oil. The Kaw oil is $2 less per 5 quart jug than is the Suz oil, even though they are of the same weight, grade, and bear the same specs.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2013, 07:46:54 AM »
I buy my oil and filters from my local Kaw dealer. Prices are reasonable, and I get a chance to do some tire kickin at the same time. Interesting note: my dealer sells both Kaw oil and Suzuki oil. The Kaw oil is $2 less per 5 quart jug than is the Suz oil, even though they are of the same weight, grade, and bear the same specs.

I would never put Suzuki oil in my Kawasaki. I also have a GSXR 1000 and once I mixed up which oil went in which bike. It wasn't pretty. The Concours started to feel like a GSXR and the GSXR started to feel like a Concours! :o
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline clogan

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2013, 03:24:23 PM »
I would never put Suzuki oil in my Kawasaki. I also have a GSXR 1000 and once I mixed up which oil went in which bike. It wasn't pretty. The Concours started to feel like a GSXR and the GSXR started to feel like a Concours! :o

My kid ate a dog biscuit once. Next thing you know, he's chasin' the UPS truck! ;-)
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2013, 10:05:55 PM »
Way to go resurrecting a year old thread!

I do want to point out a few things.

1) The oil filter from a yamaha fz1 fits the concours and vice versa
2) the same filters also fit my nisssan vq37vhr engine, only difference is they don't say yamaha or kawasaki on them.

Might be some internal differences too, but wix seems to cross reference them all to the same wix part number.

Offline TexMic

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2013, 12:31:47 PM »
I realize this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add some useful information. I've always gone by the Oil filter cross reference on the CalCsi site. http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

They break down some filters and compare the filter construction and total filter media surface area. The C14 isn't listed explicitly, but I've cross referenced the OEM filter number against other bikes in the list and you can use any of the filters in list [5] on the site.

I prefer to use the Mobil 1 M1-110 and have used them on all my bikes except for my SV1000 which was a different thread pitch. They aren't all that expensive either, $17.32 2 pack from Amazon with free prime shipping.

I just wanted to point this out because I don't see the M1-110 in the oil filter list in the Wiki.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2013, 05:36:46 PM »
Does the M1-110 cross to the Kwak filter?  It's not on the Mobil 1 site (Not a very good site actually for MC oil filters.  In fact it sucks) and I tried Amazon and it comes up that it doesn't 'fit'. Looks like it's a car filter based on what I see (not that it's a bad thing but let's be very clear that it's not recognized as the proper fitment for a C14).  The M1-110 is also an extended oil drain filter to be used with Mobil 1 extended performance oil (15k miles, I think).  I don't think I'd want to keep the oil in my bike that long.  I don't believe that they (Mobil 1) make a recommended MC oil with a drain interval of 15k miles.  Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

With all that being said, I'm modifying the Wiki to indicate exact fitment vs fitment of another nature.  One can make their own choice in the matter.  But for me, it will always be exact fitment for the C14 as specified by the manufacturer of the filter.  It doesn't cost that much more to add a filter that's specified for the bike vs anecdotal evidence of other filters that mechanically work.

I will add the M1-110 to the Wiki under the other filters heading.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 02:21:32 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline TexMic

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2013, 10:10:09 AM »
Thanks for making that distinction and adding it. Yes Jim, you are correct. The M1-110 does not officially cross to the C14. It is a car filter. As such, there will be no endorsement from Mobil 1 to install this on any motorcycle. However, the thread pitch, by-pass and drain back pressure appear to be acceptable for motorcycles where this filter fits (someone else's research, not mine).

I have personally used this filter on a Z1000, Sprint ST, EX500, and now my C14. I didn't use it on my SV1000 because Suzuki uses a different thread pitch for their oil filters. About 50k miles between all of them and none of them had engine issues. Sometimes I even used Rotella oil in my bikes. *gasp*

Also, while this may be an extended performance filter, there is no requirement to change oil at any extended interval. My personal belief with oil filters is that the more sq in of media for trapping particles in the oil, the better. I change oil and filter at 5k miles or when the shifting gets notchy. If someone wanted a smaller filter, the M1-108 is the same filter just shorter.

There is some good general reading about oil filters on the Calsci site, they dissect some filters and talk about the construction and what they found in various major brands of filter. I'd recommend giving it a read even if you aren't interested in using the Mobil 1 filter.