Author Topic: Oil Leak- Cam Sensor/Valve Cover  (Read 7567 times)

Offline danl

Oil Leak- Cam Sensor/Valve Cover
« on: June 05, 2014, 01:20:23 PM »
The last 2-3 times I've started my bike up I'm getting white oil smelling smoke coming out of the fairing. It burns off in a few seconds. I started researching it here and it seems it's the O ring, but possibly the valve cover. I can see oil beading up on the underside of the header bolts on the left side of the engine if I shine a light up in there.

the question is, is it safe to ride it like this? I did a few hundred miles last weekend and this weekend I'm going out of state for 2 days. I don't want anything to break. The oil level is fine. I just had a service done recently and ironically it started not long after that, and the oil level in the sight glass does seem kind of high, so I was thinking maybe they over filled it and it's coming out somewhere and burning off.

There are no drips or anything on the garage floor.

Thanks!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Oil Leak- Cam Sensor/Valve Cover
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:34:20 PM »
Check the sight glass for oil and as long as the oil is between the lines you're fine.  Just get it fixed when you can, although you may want to siphon some of the excess oil out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline danl

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 05:22:35 AM »
ok good to know. I'm not going too far this weekend but far enough away that if I have a problem it'll be a hassle especially since my wife is riding the other direction with some of her friends.

I'll need the 30k service pretty soon, I'm around 28k now, so I can probably wait. They'll need to pull the plastic off for the valve adjustment, so they can fix whatever is leaking then. It's still under warranty til October but I plan on picking up the extra warranty before then.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 10:50:21 AM »
if it truly is the cam sensor o-ring leaking (about 90%), having Kaw do it isn't gonna cure it... for more than a short time...
Problem is the oem ring is incorrectly sized, it simply won't cure it forever.
this ring works... we have over 100 out there currently, and I have not had one instance of failure..
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13866.0

oh, and if the bike does have the correct amount of oil, per the sight window...
don't siphon oil out..... ???
V-JIM.... ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jwh20

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 11:41:57 AM »
ok good to know. I'm not going too far this weekend but far enough away that if I have a problem it'll be a hassle especially since my wife is riding the other direction with some of her friends.

I'll need the 30k service pretty soon, I'm around 28k now, so I can probably wait. They'll need to pull the plastic off for the valve adjustment, so they can fix whatever is leaking then. It's still under warranty til October but I plan on picking up the extra warranty before then.

Just watch it VERY closely.  Oil leaks can get bad really quickly and you can run out of oil in just a few miles.  If it starts getting sucked into the exhaust (which is possible) you might not even see any evidence until the oil light comes on.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 09:16:49 AM »
don't freak out about that o-ring, go ahead and ride till you get the new ones.
It's just a drop or 2 at startup, and more of a nuisance than an issue... hell, Harly's leak  (used to) quarts... ;D

I got your e-mail, as soon as I get your envelope I'll get those to you, but mind you I'll be gone all next week to the COG National.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 09:40:18 AM »
I find if i park the bike on the center stand it dosnt do it as much. Dont know why just a observation.

Offline danl

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »
It seems if I let it sit for a couple days it smokes more. I rode a couple hundred miles this weekend and it only smoked a tiny bit yesterday morning after sitting all night.  Then I took a ferry ride that is about 90 mins and no smoke at all when I started up after that.

Zero change in the oil level.

I'll try the center stand thing. I do that a lot in the garage anyway to leave more room for my wife to get her Can-Am in and out. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 05:27:41 PM »
Ride more, smoke less.  What's not to like?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline danl

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 02:48:17 PM »
So today I went for a ride to run some errands. The bike has been sitting since I got home Sunday since it's been raining all week. Started it up, waited for the smoke- nothing! It's been on the side stand too. I guess the threat of a new cam sensor o ring scared it!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 03:17:38 PM »
So today I went for a ride to run some errands. The bike has been sitting since I got home Sunday since it's been raining all week. Started it up, waited for the smoke- nothing! It's been on the side stand too. I guess the threat of a new cam sensor o ring scared it!

I hope that works for me too. I don't get the smoke but I'm definitely getting the leakage. I sent my $1 and self addressed stamped envelope to Man of Blues yesterday. That cam sensor better straighten up and fly right!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 06:05:31 PM »
So far the Canyon Cages on my shelf in the garage are doing wonders for me.. ::)

Offline danl

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 06:45:06 AM »
I used my Canyon Cages twice. Once in the garage, there was a piece of magazine or flyer on the floor, I stepped on it moving the bike and it slid out from under me, down went the bike. No damage.

2nd time, we were in VA coming home from a 2 week trip down south. My wife rode her Vulcan 1500 off the side of a curve into a bed of kudzu. I turned around to find her when she didn't show up at the end of the twisties (we typically get separated and I'll pull over and wait for her to catch up). I back tracked, saw her on the side of the road, went to make a U-turn with a fully loaded top case and side cases, failed to take into consideration that I was making a U-turn on a hill, and the bike went down hard. The cages did their job, 2 scraps on the front and back cage and nothing on the bike touched.

The Vulcan didn't fare so well, it was totaled, but my wife was relatively ok. Spent the day and night in the hospital getting checked out but nothing more than bumps and bruises. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 06:58:22 AM »
 :yikes:   Glad your wife is ok! 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 07:32:16 AM »
"didn't show up at the end of the twisties"

Absolutely the worst feeling in the world.

Offline danl

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 06:13:04 AM »
"didn't show up at the end of the twisties"

Absolutely the worst feeling in the world.

Yes, it was a horrible feeling. She was really lucky.

Offline danl

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 06:43:26 AM »
Update- not the tiniest puff of oil since my last post. Weird... but I have the new grommets for the cam sensor if it happens again.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 06:45:27 AM »
No smoke from mine either but it is still definitely leaking. Getting new O ring soon.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 08:19:37 AM »
Update- not the tiniest puff of oil since my last post. Weird... but I have the new grommets for the cam sensor if it happens again.

Sometimes and even quite often, just the mere fact that you have them on hand, will cause issues to just disappear....or protect you.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 08:22:20 AM »
I think that only applies to KiPass Jim....

Brian

Sometimes and even quite often, just the mere fact that you have them on hand, will cause issues to just disappear....or protect you.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com