Author Topic: headlights not working?  (Read 1317 times)

Offline hank

headlights not working?
« on: April 11, 2019, 06:49:19 PM »
On the way home tonight, headlights stopped working, all other lights work fine just not low/high beam checked fuses under seat and all are fine none blown. Any thoughts??

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: headlights not working?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 07:00:14 PM »
relay?

Offline hank

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 07:54:19 PM »
Do you know where that is located?

Offline chap

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 08:06:30 AM »
The relays are under the cover at the front (top) of the tank. Held by 3 screws. There are a number of relays there.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 09:14:47 AM »
What year bike and has anything aftermarket been done to the lighting system?

In poking around with Google, it could also be a bad ground junction.  They tend to corrode over time but if it's a newer bike that may not be the case depending on the climate conditions and where it's kept.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 09:42:48 AM »
Also check the 10A fuse #2 (headlight relay fuse)in the same box as the other headlight fuses you checked.

Seems unlikely that both relays would go bad unless they share a common grounding point that's gone open. However, if the ground on those checks good, then I'd listen for clicking coming from the relays as you activate the high beam/ low beam switch (this of course after you bump the starter switch but don't actually start the motor). If no activation clicks are heard at these relays then check fuse #2 10A in the same box as the two headlight fuses that were previously checked. The other common points of failure up stream are the actual switch on the left bar and the latching headlight relay under the seat in the relay box....and of course the interconnecting wiring in between these.

The power to the bulbs flows this way: From fuse #2 The latching headlight relay supplies power to the bar switch (only after the starter button has been at least bumped) , the bar switch then selects which relay to activate,either the low beam or hi beam relay.

Best wishes in tracing this gremlin.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 02:56:56 PM »
Do you know where that is located?

Have you no service manual?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 03:39:04 PM »
Have you no service manual?

I suspect most don't.  But it is worth the price, just averting one dealer service charge pays for itself.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline hank

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 08:42:32 PM »
Talked to my buddy at the kaw shop and he said it was a replay, so will get that taken care of glad for that kaw warrenty worth every penny :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 01:13:55 AM »
Let us know how it works out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.