Author Topic: OK, haven't heard of this brand before...  (Read 4894 times)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
OK, haven't heard of this brand before...
« on: March 25, 2015, 03:58:48 PM »
So, it's getting about that time for me to replace my Pilot GT front (haven't been doing much riding lately, otherwise it'd been due a long time ago).

Doing a search for 130/70R-18, I came across this tire....
http://www.motoparthub.com/312257_IRC_Rx_01_Road_Winner_Rx_01_Rr_130_70_18?src=Google&gclid=CPmhqqq_xMQCFcNbfgodeFgAMA

Not necessarily looking at this specific tire, but I've never heard of IRC before.  Anyone know anything about them?
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: OK, haven't heard of this brand before...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 04:16:13 PM »
Never heard of them. Found this blurb on revzilla...

IRC Tires
IRC Tires is a Japanese motorcycle tires brand that is a subsidiary of the Inoue Rubber Co which was established in 1926 and was originally a producer of bicycle tires and tubes. In 1952 the company branched into production of IRC motorcycle tires and tubes and in 1966 a sales and marketing offices was set up in the United States. IRC produces motorcycle tires for cruiser, dual purpose, competition, dirt bike, scooter and mopeds.

S-rated for speeds up to 112 mph or H-rated for speeds up to 130 mph

Seems like bare minimum...

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 05:08:58 PM »
FYI, right now I'm leaning towards an Avon Cobra front to go with my Venom rear, but those are a bit pricey...

The Shinko 890 Journey (SE890 now I guess) had some out of round issues reported here, and some more recent reviews I've read (on other bikes) indicated that they weren't very good in the rain/were a bit stiff.  Dunno if anyone here has recent experience with the SE890.

At least there are still some 'wing' sized tires out there.  Michelin should never have discontinued the Pilot GT, just sayin...

Back on topic, I've just never heard of IRC before.  The above-linked tire is a Bias tire, but the tread design looked interesting at least (i.e. no centerline groove). 

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 06:18:20 PM »
Never used them on the street but I really liked their off road tires.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:12:15 PM »
Decent entry level tire...IRC has been around for a long time...Honda motorcycle dealers sell IRC inner tubes...and...let's just say, Honda doesn't buy marginal products...

But...isn't that an 18" rear tire...?
'02 C-10

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 01:13:23 PM »
FYI, right now I'm leaning towards an Avon Cobra front to go with my Venom rear, but those are a bit pricey...

The Shinko 890 Journey (SE890 now I guess) had some out of round issues reported here, and some more recent reviews I've read (on other bikes) indicated that they weren't very good in the rain/were a bit stiff.  Dunno if anyone here has recent experience with the SE890.

At least there are still some 'wing' sized tires out there.  Michelin should never have discontinued the Pilot GT, just sayin...

Back on topic, I've just never heard of IRC before.  The above-linked tire is a Bias tire, but the tread design looked interesting at least (i.e. no centerline groove).

That IRC tire appears to be a REAR tire, just a warning.... also the 130 cross section is a bit wide for front usage...  wing tires are 120's,  and wide.... OEM was a 110

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 01:53:34 PM »
That IRC tire appears to be a REAR tire, just a warning.... also the 130 cross section is a bit wide for front usage...  wing tires are 120's,  and wide.... OEM was a 110

That IS a rear tire...and, GL1500 front tires are 130/70-18...
'02 C-10

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 04:14:14 PM »
The two Pilot GT's I've had/have on my bike are 130/70R-18 (just quintuple-checked/looked at my front tire).  About 35K miles between the two of them.  Never had an issue with clearance once the tire is mounted, although as I remember it can be a snug fit between the fork ends when mounting (need to clear the caliper mounts and such).

Offline Fuller56

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 07:22:05 AM »
I have never used an IRC tire so cannot comment on them.  If you are looking for a 130 sized front tire I have found Bridgestone makes a a couple of Excedra radials a decent price through Motorcycle Superstore.  I am about to put on my third one of these, getting 17k to 20k each on them.  I do not ride hard but do ride in all weather and obviously have no complaints about these tires.  I do use the Shinko SE890's on the rear, also without compliant.  They aren't Michelin Pilot GT's but are still plenty good tires. 

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 07:31:56 PM »
I remember how poorly a 120 felt compared to my current  and correct 110.  A 130 must feel like a tank.
Just saying. Why not buy a tire that fits the rim?
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 11:41:54 AM »
I remember how poorly a 120 felt compared to my current  and correct 110.  A 130 must feel like a tank.
Just saying. Why not buy a tire that fits the rim?

Because Pilot GT's do fit the rim.  A number of us have used them (and similar wing sized tires) over the years without issue.

Yes, you lose a bit of sportiness, due to the additional centrifugal force from the extra weight of the tire, but that additional tire weight also makes the bike a LOT less twitchy around big rigs.  Also, it zeros out the error on the speedo - so that 70 MPH indicated is actually about 70 MPH, eliminating the need to do math in your head or having to 'remember' what 70 MPH on the speedo actually means.

Some of us bought these bikes more for the touring aspect, not so much the sporting aspect.  I do like having the additional power and responsiveness when passing dicey cagers though!  Plus I love the 'is that a BMW?' conversation starter...