Author Topic: random "FI Error"  (Read 5687 times)

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
random "FI Error"
« on: June 26, 2017, 03:20:08 PM »
Once or twice every few thousand miles, my '10 C14 flashes "FI Error" and the red light flashes on. The error goes off after about 1 second and the bike runs fine before, during and after.

Do you think this kind of thing would be stored in memory?

Any ideas on what this could be?

'10 C14, 40,000 miles. Factory warranty until 2019.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: random "FI Error"
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 03:43:23 PM »
This is a kind-of old FAQ.  It happens to all Concourses (is that the plural?) and often doesn't mean much.  Supposedly the code would be stored in memory for diagnostic purposes, at least for a while.  I tend to get one, like you, about every 1 to 2 thousand miles.  It is usually when I just riding along at partial throttle, doing nothing interesting and WHAM.  Most (including me) seem to think it is no big deal, as long as nothing else happens (misfire, power loss, something else on the display, repeated errors, strange noise, etc).

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=10192
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12295
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9892
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=11130
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1421
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 08:45:03 AM »
Yeah, that is a quirk introduced on the '10 model. Nothing to worry about and they all seem to do it now and then.

You can certainly take it into a dealer under warranty but I do not believe it is known why that happens on any level w/in Kawasaki so it will not be fixed simply because no one knows how to fix it. So all a dealer can do is tinker around, maybe change some parts, call and discuss it with Kawasaki USA and in the end, send the bike back out with the same quirk intact.

The good news is that it causes no harm currently or in the future, and is not really an error, just the report of an error; I suspect a quirk in the software. I like to think of it as a 'no- cost extra' included with the base bike.  :)

Brian

Once or twice every few thousand miles, my '10 C14 flashes "FI Error" and the red light flashes on. The error goes off after about 1 second and the bike runs fine before, during and after.

Do you think this kind of thing would be stored in memory?

Any ideas on what this could be?

'10 C14, 40,000 miles. Factory warranty until 2019.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline wb57

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 06:44:19 AM »
I tend to just write it off to **** gas as it seems to happen when I'm forced to get fuel at some out of the way place.  Not enough data points to be conclusive though.  I've noticed it maybe 4 or 5 times in ~35K miles.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09
Turning paychecks into spent fossil fuels.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 07:28:33 AM »
I tend to just write it off to **** gas as it seems to happen when I'm forced to get fuel at some out of the way place.  Not enough data points to be conclusive though.  I've noticed it maybe 4 or 5 times in ~35K miles.

Pretty sure it isn't gas, since I get gas from the same place (Costco high-octane) unless forced otherwise.... and I didn't/don't see any relation; although like you said, it is so rare, it is hard to even remember such info much less find some kind of statistical relation.

One would think if it were gas or load, it would do it more when revving high or under WOT, but every time it happens to me, I am just cruising with almost no load and at under 4K RPM.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 09:20:32 AM »
Just searched this as it popped up for the first time last night - over 3000 miles on my 2016. The only thing different in my equation is I fueled up with non-ethanol super for the first time? Reputable gas station, clean, etc. I was thinking maybe that transition had something to do with it, since it happened immediately in the first 10 miles then never returned.
Something to note, I saw an increase in MPG with the non-ethanol. No difference in power, but an increase of about 4 MPG.
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 06:22:14 AM »
Just a heads up since I own a 2010 with 40,000 too. My bike has no TC or ABS, and has never flashed a FI code.
BTW, no more TPMS codes either. Love my rubber valve stems.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 04:36:31 PM »
my '08 purchased 7-7-07 did it twice, once at 7k miles, and again at 11k, and has never done it again since...
replaced failing tire sensors in 2012, with new/old style OEM's under extended GTPP,

all is good in my world.
so far.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 05:45:08 AM »
Mine did it one day last week, 20,6XX miles, it's about the forth time it's done it.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 01:04:42 PM »
Never happened, I'm pretty sure it's all in our heads. The few times I saw it was just in my peripheral vision and when I looked at it, it was gone and I actually asked myself "did I just see that?" May be it's just a mass hallucination. But I don't remember drinking any koolaid when I bought my C14...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 03:41:43 PM »
Never seen it on my 08.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Thunderlizard

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 06:28:08 PM »
Never happened, I'm pretty sure it's all in our heads. The few times I saw it was just in my peripheral vision and when I looked at it, it was gone and I actually asked myself "did I just see that?" May be it's just a mass hallucination. But I don't remember drinking any koolaid when I bought my C14...
🤣🤣🤣
I saw it on my bike once in a black and white video I got from the man in the high Castle...
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 09:11:20 AM »
🤣🤣🤣
I saw it on my bike once in a black and white video I got from the man in the high Castle...

:rotflmao: Never considered if it was from the man in the high castle. Maybe a crossover from an alternate reality.