Author Topic: Sparkplug removal trick?  (Read 6313 times)

Offline Ike

Sparkplug removal trick?
« on: May 12, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »
I'm back at this valve adjustment (first time by me).  Is there a trick to removing the sparkplugs?  I have the cylinder head cover off.  The socket doesn't want to seat on the base of the sparkplug.  Wondering if the socket is too thick and there isn't enough clearance (I think the sparkplug well narrows as it goes down).  Tried removing the rubber boot inside the socket but didn't help.  Using 5/8 but tried others to no avail.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.  Ike.

Offline Boomer343

Re: Sparkplug removal trick?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 01:51:04 PM »
use the one in the tool kit....

Offline Ike

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 02:04:30 PM »
OK, so that's my problem (or one of them).  My bike's toolkit doesn't have a sparkplug wrench.  Has anyone use a different type?  I need some items from Murph's so I'll check there too.  Thanks.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 05:57:43 PM »
Craftsman 18mm long reach 1/2" drive works.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
If you buy the cheap multi colored deep metric socket set at Harbor Frieght, the 18mm will work for the spark plugs.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline throb

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 04:19:36 AM »
  Getting them out of the deep well can be a pain at best;  I take a piece of vacuum tubing (I used one from the PAIR valve that was removed when I installed SNARF's most excellent block off plates) which will easily slip over the spark plug tip.  Easy peasy to get it out once completely loosened and easier still to start threading the plug when you are installing! 8)
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 02:47:21 PM »
  Getting them out of the deep well can be a pain at best;  I take a piece of vacuum tubing (I used one from the PAIR valve that was removed when I installed SNARF's most excellent block off plates) which will easily slip over the spark plug tip.  Easy peasy to get it out once completely loosened and easier still to start threading the plug when you are installing! 8)
Oh now your just making me blush :P :P
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »
Oh now your just making me blush :P :P
Someday, I hope to be able to use the tubing from the removed PAIR valves for this...   :rotflmao:

Just kidding, snarf.   :thumbs:  I'm sure my block-off plates will show up eventually.

NOTE: For anyone reading this, it's the fault of the USPS (and, apparently, a suicidal deer) that my plates haven't arrived. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 05:41:43 PM »
As mentioned, the 18mm deep socket will work. The true spark plug deep well has the rubber boot on it to help with gripping the top oif the plug. If that is not available, using the regular deep well can be interesting for the grippping part.
Good luck, and ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Ike

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 08:45:06 PM »
Yep, the 18 mm deep socket worked perfectly.  For fellow riders in Canada, I used the Mastercraft Maximum from Canadian Tire.  Thanks for the tip.

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 10:03:39 AM »
Once loose, I use a magnetic pick-up tool to get the plugs out.  Much easier than anything else Ive tried.
My 18mm Craftsman sockets fit fine, but the spark plug sockets I have dont...
Say what?

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 01:12:33 PM »
I use an old spark plug boot from a car to start the plugs. Gives you good feel and lessens the risk of cross thread. Use same to spin out after loosening.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1