Author Topic: Nasty Snatch  (Read 9334 times)

Offline Pillow

Re: Nasty Snatch
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »
Ah, indeed.  I think the vital info may be here.  Just out of interest, is the adjustment referred to in the workshop manual anywhere?  I ask, because I did look through it to find out any fast idle info and couldn't find it.

Idle is about 1000 when cold and a couple hundred more warm.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2019, 03:39:18 PM »
Like MOB's bike, my 09 when cold is about 1400 cold then drops back to about 1100 warm (adjusted).
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2019, 03:47:58 PM »
Like MOB's bike, my 09 when cold is about 1400 cold then drops back to about 1100 warm (adjusted).

perfect..

Ah, indeed.  I think the vital info may be here.  Just out of interest, is the adjustment referred to in the workshop manual anywhere?  I ask, because I did look through it to find out any fast idle info and couldn't find it.

no you won't find this in any manual, just from people who do this stuff, and share... cold start idle is as noted by myself and also Freddy, and will drop off when warm.. 1000 rpm is very low for cold start... and when it warms, the rise dictates a mal adjustment on Cold Start adjuster screw... it should end up around 1100 +/- 50 rpm, when warmed...
and, to reiterate, you will not be able to adjust this when you start the bike, as the time for adjustment is just moments.. so giving an "rpm" setting, isn't gonna happen, or be reliable to the process.. follow the 1/8 to 1/4 turn thing I spoke of.. you should find happy things.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2019, 05:23:32 PM »

1000 on a truly cold engine?  I am surprised it will run at all that low without immediately cutting off/dying!  Cold, mine probably is close to 1500 or something, maybe higher, then gradually lowers until it hits the manual adjustment (which I set to about 1100) a few minutes later.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pillow

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2019, 10:16:42 PM »
Well lads, I'll do it Sunday, try it Monday and report how I get on. 

Offline Pillow

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2019, 04:27:16 AM »
Well... it didn't go too well.  Made some adjustments, which helped with the cold start idle speed. 

Whilst I was out, I decided to see if I have the secondary butterflies.  Turns out I don't.  Also, I can't seem to find them either on eBay or on the parts catalogue (unless I buy the whole throttle body).

Does anyone know of a workaround?  Someone who can supply just the flaps maybe???

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2019, 05:44:51 AM »
I decided to see if I have the secondary butterflies.  Turns out I don't.

That would explain how the flash probably made no difference and didn't help with snatchiness (since the ECU can't control airflow without the secondaries).

Also, I can't seem to find them either on eBay or on the parts catalogue (unless I buy the whole throttle body).  Does anyone know of a workaround?  Someone who can supply just the flaps maybe???

Have no idea how you are going to get your hands on some, outside of waiting for a wrecked/scrapped bike to be parted out (in which case you will still at the mercy of how that seller will or won't sell individual parts).  Removing the secondaries is typically no longer done, because reflashing works so much better; so finding just the flaps is going to be very difficult (and I don't think any other bike in the world uses the same ones).

If it were me, I would at least start by posting you need them on this and the other two boards.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=17.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2019, 07:14:42 AM »
Well... it didn't go too well.  Made some adjustments, which helped with the cold start idle speed. 

Whilst I was out, I decided to see if I have the secondary butterflies.  Turns out I don't.  Also, I can't seem to find them either on eBay or on the parts catalogue (unless I buy the whole throttle body).

Does anyone know of a workaround?  Someone who can supply just the flaps maybe???

You might try posting that request in the Wanted board.  Ah, I see you did.  Good luck!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2019, 01:54:06 PM »

HERE... GRAB THEM FAST.....

https://www.ebay.com/i/272353276870?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=272353276870&targetid=475515225101&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9015276&poi=&campaignid=6469981122&mkgroupid=79220336802&rlsatarget=pla-475515225101&abcId=1141176&merchantid=131375965&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkY-l-sO45gIVAdbACh2STwDjEAQYByABEgKfs_D_BwE

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2019, 04:05:19 PM »
HERE... GRAB THEM FAST.....

Good find.  Seller even shows pictures of top and bottom (although he uses the word "carburetors", LOL).  Has been a couple of hours and they are still not sold yet.  For $40, that is a steal.  Even if Kawasaki sold the plates separately, they would cost way more than that.  MOB- you must have good Ebay Karma.  I have a friend like that- seems to magically find whatever he wants whenever he wants.  Me, not so much.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2019, 03:58:46 AM »
Only problem is Pillow is in the UK, so shipping from the US will be stupidly expensive.
There are plenty of throttle bodies available in the UK on ebay.co.uk but prices are £150 upwards.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2019, 04:59:01 PM »
It's still available...

:popcorn:

Offline Pillow

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2020, 03:26:50 PM »
First- a big shout out to Lather for sending me his spare secondaries.  Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

Went in pretty uneventfully.  I noticed it pulls much easier, more keen to accelerate.  Very clean through the revs.  It's still a bit snatchy and kind of kicks as I start to open off of idle sometimes.  I did notice one of the inlet rubbers was kinda crumpled, but it doesn't seem to be leaking air.

I've run out of time for this issue for now, but I'll investigate in spring, when I do a full service.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2020, 03:31:24 PM »
Went in pretty uneventfully.  I noticed it pulls much easier, more keen to accelerate.  Very clean through the revs. 

:)

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2023, 02:03:13 PM »
First- a big shout out to Lather for sending me his spare secondaries.  Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

Went in pretty uneventfully.  I noticed it pulls much easier, more keen to accelerate.  Very clean through the revs.  It's still a bit snatchy and kind of kicks as I start to open off of idle sometimes.  I did notice one of the inlet rubbers was kinda crumpled, but it doesn't seem to be leaking air.

I've run out of time for this issue for now, but I'll investigate in spring, when I do a full service.

Thanks to all for your advice.

I realize this super old. But, did you check/adjust the TPS setting. What you describe is often a symptom of too high or too low of TPS setting

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2023, 06:35:56 PM »
Or not enough free play in the throttle cables.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.