Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 852336 times)

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #3400 on: January 28, 2020, 07:48:02 AM »
Rode it to work this morning for the first time this year.  First ride this year was last Sunday, temps from 47* to 50*.  This morning was 36*.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #3401 on: February 03, 2020, 09:00:00 AM »
Successfully installed the Rostra cruise control.  Thanks to Brian’s installation instructions, all went well.  Contorting that cable mount bracket was a royal PITA.  Had to troubleshoot and realize I spliced into the wrong wire for the neutral safety switch (NSS).  My fault for not looking closely enough at Brian’s photo of the plug.  Interesting note, when testing the vehicle speed sensor (VSS), the diagnostic LED simply flashes repeatedly, no longer coinciding with the rotational speed of the rear wheel.  This agrees with the Rostra documentation as well.

Cruise works very well in 5th and 6th gears, I may try to adjust the dip switch settings and quicken the proportional gain (dip switch 2 to ‘on’), but overall, it works great.

Again, Thank You B.D.F.!
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #3402 on: February 13, 2020, 07:50:19 AM »
Beautiful spring weather (in the middle of winter) here in central Ca, so I rode to work the last 2 days. Could have ridden today as well but have some stuff to do on the way home that is easier in the car.

First time on the bike in a few months and it felt strange and the brake felt really funny. Turns out, I had moved the adjuster rocker to 6. Why would I have done that? I have no idea. Moved it back to the normal 3/4 location and it was fine.

The clutch reverse bleed I did a few months ago is working great.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline PH14

« Reply #3403 on: February 14, 2020, 05:15:02 PM »
It was 28F here, but I rode it ti the store. I have been wanting to ride for a while, but have been traveling and haven't been able. It was a short ride, but it felt good.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3404 on: February 14, 2020, 10:26:09 PM »
It was 28F here, but I rode it ti the store. I have been wanting to ride for a while, but have been traveling and haven't been able. It was a short ride, but it felt good.

Whew.  I just rode for 30 min home in 34F, with electric vest and leather chaps but no long underwear and with Spring/Fall gloves (didn't have winter ones in the bag).  I had to ramp the vest up to maximum, so my torso was HOT while my legs, arms, and hands were frozen.  Always a strange feeling.  Brrr.

Sidenote- my 2009 G37S just flipped 30K miles yesterday!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3405 on: March 26, 2020, 05:04:58 AM »
Flushed and filled the brakes (front and rear) and the clutch. The brakes were a snap but the clutch gave me the usual problems with air getting in the lines, even though I was VERY careful trying not to get any air in. I also cleaned the bobbins on the front brake rotors. I used a bunch of spray brake cleaner while rotating the bobbins with a socket. All the bobbins were very tight, cleaning them up helped but they still seem tight. Should they be able to be turned by hand normally?   
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3406 on: March 26, 2020, 07:05:35 AM »
Depends on the rotors.  Are they stock or aftermarket?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3407 on: March 26, 2020, 08:00:26 AM »
Depends on the rotors.  Are they stock or aftermarket?

Original rotors.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3408 on: March 26, 2020, 08:20:38 AM »
If they turn by hand then they may be too loose. You should be able to jam an Allen key in there and turn them with that, but not with your fingers on the bobbin, no.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3409 on: March 26, 2020, 06:26:37 PM »
If they turn by hand then they may be too loose. You should be able to jam an Allen key in there and turn them with that, but not with your fingers on the bobbin, no.

Yeah, even after I cleaned mine the best I ever could, I still could not really turn them by hand.  I could with a tool, much easier than before the cleaning.  Another example of something not covered AT ALL in the factory service manual.  If they do need to be "free" enough to allow the rotors to move, one would think that there would be SOME type of mention of the spools/bobbins in the manual.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3410 on: March 27, 2020, 06:53:45 AM »

Thanks! I didn't jam any tools into the bobbins but I used appropriately sized bolt/nut/washers and tightened them up onto the bobbins and then turned the whole works with a ratchet/socket while spraying with brake cleaner. The bobbins turned much easier when I was done but they're too tight to turn by hand. So I guess I'm all set. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3411 on: March 29, 2020, 01:27:11 PM »
Strange weather today.  2.5 hour ride and the temp kept fluctuating from as low as 66F to 88F (22 degree swings!).  Up and down, back and forth.  Talk about never being comfortable.  I stopped to change what I was wearing a couple of times.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 09:00:32 PM by maxtog »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3412 on: March 29, 2020, 07:46:59 PM »
I went out on the..........................wait for it..............................wait for it.............................Indian and started off warm and got cold.  Came back home.  I can't stand this weather.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #3413 on: April 17, 2020, 03:58:52 PM »
Installed new brake pads, scoured and cleaned up rotors. Went fora ride to bed pads, engaged ABS before flushing  and then flushed brake and clutch fluid.
NOTE: First time I did it 2 years ago I forgot to do the rear facing bleed on the rear brake. Nasty stuff came out of it. Everything else looked good.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline CB Schmaltz

• FLY RIDE SKI SAIL
    • www.BuyNWProperty.com
« Reply #3414 on: April 24, 2020, 05:29:13 PM »
finished up some body work, put on old oem short painfull foot pegs ( dont ask why),  and did an oil change
ran it around the block, then a quick wash and wax
maybe some dry weather this week end ......I HOPE
CB Schmaltz, Hood River, Or
503 806 1525
Connie 14, &  KLR best 2 bikes in the world.
Others in the stalls, VROD, WR250r,  Shadow Spirt, Versys 650, CRF250l, Vsrtom , 75 Z1B

Offline actwin

« Reply #3415 on: May 21, 2020, 04:50:32 AM »
I switched to a Calsi windscreen on my C14 last night. After riding to work this morning it seems like a big improvement as far being quieter and more protection from the wind. It fit good but there are some rough edges where it looks as though a cutting tool chattered. Its not a trailer queen so not a big deal to me. They sent along some cleaner and a cloth too.

Offline jimboni

« Reply #3416 on: May 26, 2020, 05:27:11 PM »
Did the new used bike baseline:

OEM Kaw air filter (threw out the PO's K&N ... probably not cleaned in 25k)
Coolant change (likely original)
Oil change
Final Drive (hot-n-nasty)
Checked the brake/clutch fluid (good shape)
Adjusted the throttle cables
Replaced some fubar fasteners from the PO (didn't know a too small torx could be used in place of an allen)
And for good measure:
New tires (okay that was yesterday!)
Buell footpegs
battery pigtail
Installed my old KTM adv top case on the C14

5:30pm now. Too tired to put the fairing pieces back on ... tomorrow.

Offline blue72beetle

« Reply #3417 on: July 01, 2020, 03:47:46 PM »
Put an Akrapovic on, I love the sound!

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3418 on: August 01, 2020, 05:47:20 PM »
Put in not quite 300 miles from the Little Rock area to Harrison, AR and return. Supported a PGR mission for a WWII Navy veteran. Great weather, traffic decent, super scenery going through some of the Ozarks, albeit U.S. 65 is not the best road for riding.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3419 on: August 02, 2020, 02:27:52 PM »
Took the gas cap apart AGAIN because I could barely open it this morning (bending the key).  Scrubbed all the latch parts with mean green to get rid of all the grey dust/corrosion, lubed very lightly with moly-di.  But this time it was mostly the lock, sprayed lots of WD40 in it and blew it out- tons of grey crap came out.  Repeated until it was free/normal.  If my notes are correct (and they probably are), it has been a year since last time.  So not too bad.