Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 852341 times)

Offline tomp

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #1280 on: May 26, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »
Maxtog, sounds like an XR650.  It's a single cylinder 650, but with dual exhaust header pipes.  Seat height is like 37".  I looked at one, but couldn't touch the ground w both feet.  More "off roadable"  than a KLR650...  See if you can shag a ride on it sometime. They are a blast on dirt/gravel roads.   tomp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1281 on: May 26, 2015, 05:38:51 PM »
Maxtog, sounds like an XR650.  It's a single cylinder 650, but with dual exhaust header pipes.

I just looked at a picture of the XR650, yes, it did look very similar to that.  I can't be sure, though.

Seat height is like 37".  I looked at one, but couldn't touch the ground w both feet.  More "off roadable"  than a KLR650...  See if you can shag a ride on it sometime. They are a blast on dirt/gravel roads

You are kidding right?  Remember the part about the "lowered" seat being inches ABOVE my belly button?  And that was when I was wearing the raised boots.....  no way I could ride that thing!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #1282 on: May 26, 2015, 06:26:44 PM »
I just looked at a picture of the XR650, yes, it did look very similar to that.  I can't be sure, though.

You are kidding right?  Remember the part about the "lowered" seat being inches ABOVE my belly button?  And that was when I was wearing the raised boots.....  no way I could ride that thing!
Here Ya go.  This may help.  http://www.hayneedle.com/product/horsemenspridethreestepmountingstep.cfm?redirect=false&source=pla&kwid=LargeAnimals_HORS002&tid=HORS002-6&adtype=pla&kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=HORS002-6&gclid=CJ-zjb_U4MUCFcOJaQod_WsAyw

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #1283 on: May 27, 2015, 08:14:10 PM »
Made a dash visor ala Sgt Mac (great idea Sarge!) and installed my V-Stream  :banana
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #1284 on: May 29, 2015, 08:51:05 PM »
Washed all the bugs off the screen, checked it for loose bits, in preparations for a 2 day mountain ride.
Have to break in those new PR4GT'S, heavy rain for tomorrow, I really enjoy riding in the rain through the Rockies  8)  ;D   

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1285 on: May 30, 2015, 12:39:34 PM »
Rode it up to Bradford, PA yesterday and rode back home today.  Clutch felt a bit funny first thing this morning but felt better as the day went on.  I think I'll give it a bleed and see what's up with it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #1286 on: May 30, 2015, 07:30:32 PM »
Bradford, Pa. The home of the world's finest lighters!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1287 on: May 31, 2015, 05:49:27 AM »
Yeah, we stayed at a place pretty close to the factory.  I kept on asking if they were going to see it and no one was interested.  I even got a 'What's a Zippo?'.  I've been through it before and even bought a lighter from them...   Oh well.  It was a three day ride event but I could only really be there for the ride to the hotel.  I've rode with them since '95 and I learned my riding style from them.  Great bunch of people.  I haven't ridden with them in probably 5 years since I moved back into VA.  I nearly cried I was so happy.  Found a great place to eat in walking distance of the hotel.. 

Kabob's at the Option House - although I didn't eat anything Mediterranean.  The inside is beautiful as is the outside.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #1288 on: June 03, 2015, 02:22:04 PM »
I have a Zippo that I carried so long that every bit of chrome is worn off. Love that lighter.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #1289 on: June 03, 2015, 02:23:56 PM »
My "spare" tank arrived today. Very minor rust inside. The paint itself is showroom perfect! Score!

Offline tomp

« Reply #1290 on: June 03, 2015, 03:27:18 PM »
It's my commuter, and makes the way home, and even my way to work enjoyable.  The toughest part is the armored mesh jacket and FF, in 90 degree weather.  Won't ride without them, though, hot or not.  Rust in the tank; is that from ethanol in the gas holding moisture, or what do you think caused it.  I looked into mine, and didn't see any rust.  E10 used with every fill up.  tp   

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #1291 on: June 03, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »
It's my commuter, and makes the way home, and even my way to work enjoyable.  The toughest part is the armored mesh jacket and FF, in 90 degree weather.  Won't ride without them, though, hot or not.  Rust in the tank; is that from ethanol in the gas holding moisture, or what do you think caused it.  I looked into mine, and didn't see any rust.  E10 used with every fill up.  tp   

http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/united/fuel/unleaded-e10

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #1292 on: June 03, 2015, 04:09:37 PM »
The tank I got was from a dealer in Wisconsin, I think. It appears to be new, it may have just been sitting around for the last 6 years. I mean the outside is PRISTINE.

Offline tomp

« Reply #1293 on: June 03, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »
http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/united/fuel/unleaded-e10
I read it, but it reads like typical BS marketing, not facts.  Read plenty of articles that run counter to what was stated there.  I know that the AMA here in the US, is lobbying heavily against the probability of E15 being mandated for use, as it will have a detriment effect on every Motorcycle, scooter and ATV currently owned, or now available. 

Good luck with it Deziner.   Perhaps some Sea Foam and gas swirled around in the tank would help remove any light oxidation.  tp

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #1294 on: June 03, 2015, 05:30:39 PM »
I did my annual 5 hour bottom to top cleaning. Found out that I had lost a bolt that holds the shifter onto the the tranny output shaft. Still shifted but with no bolt, it could have slipped off. Dug around in the spare bolt tray and found one that fit. Never throw away a good bolt, nut or washer!

Used a blue scotchbrite and some comet on the the rims which cleaned them up nicely. Did the same on the brake discs.

Dug out the Cee Baileys windscreen cleaner and polished the CB screen...it's got nearly 90k miles on it and looks great!

After, it wouldn't start...nearly dead battery which is weird since it was new before last years trip to Newfoundland. ( http://dolomoto.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=41437323&AlbumKey=CgQ4v6 )

So, yanked the battery and put it on the battery tender. I have had a recurring problem with the (-) terminal bolt backing off enough to cause intermittent connection...I reckon I need a lock washer but those bolts are just barely long enough as is. It is tough to get the (+) bolt on with the accessory ring connector in addition to the OEM battery cable.

Finished with Lucas spray cleaner/wax on the painted surfaces.

Last weeks trip up to Michigan got it quite dirty but it cleaned up nice.

http://dolomoto.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=49621287&AlbumKey=Jpd2bt

With about 87,000 miles on it, it has been trouble-free thus far.

Offline gggGary

• Wisconsin heart of the great white north
« Reply #1295 on: June 03, 2015, 05:44:14 PM »
Very nice photo tour Dolomoto, thanks for sharing.  you like the c baily then?
08B 73.5K miles

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #1296 on: June 03, 2015, 05:50:36 PM »
Very nice photo tour Dolomoto, thanks for sharing.  you like the c baily then?

Yes, I am as happy as is possible. IIRC, it is the Euro Sport. Is still in great shape with just one tiny nick.

They are worth the wait.

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #1297 on: June 09, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »
Friday headed up to the lakes for 2015 meet

http://www.gtr1400.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4538.60

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #1298 on: June 10, 2015, 07:05:23 AM »
I finally bought a house in TX and my C14 will soon have a garage again. And I will be reunited with my other bike, a Suzuki DR650. A year and a half of delayed maintenance and TLC will begin.

List of items to be done:

Valve check (only been done once at 27,000)
Install new cam position sensor O-ring (thank you MOB)
Check/tighten exhaust header nuts
Replace coolant (never been done on this bike)
Replace brake fluid (been done once)
Molly paste on drive shaft spline (never been done on this bike)
Fix Rostra CC
Clean K&N air filter
Check/clean fuel filter (never been done on this bike)
check/adjust APE CCT

Its a 2010 with 58,000 miles on it. Obvious stuff like oil, final drive and brakes have not been delayed and have been replaced/checked regularly. Am I missing anything? Do I need to replace fluid in the forks yet? It's running great, I don't think I need to sync throttle bodies.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1299 on: June 10, 2015, 08:43:31 AM »
You should change your fork fluid as well with that mileage on it.  I had my TBs synced but I couldn't tell the difference.  If it's running fine I wouldn't mess with that but you might want to do spark plugs simply because you'll have it apart.