Author Topic: Mysterious fairing bolt  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Mysterious fairing bolt
« on: June 15, 2012, 05:42:19 PM »
I undid my left side fairing thinking I will mount my horn there. But then decided to go right side. I did fiddle around the left side for quite a bit before going to right side. When I bolted everything back up, the left side bolt shown in the picture has nothing to thread into !!!! I took the plastic back off and nothing there - nada !! No bracket, no hole in frame, nothing whatsoever !! I know it was threaded somewhere before! I patched up the right side first and so have not opened it back up again. Thought I ask here if anyone know what gives here - did I drop something accidentally?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline r2t2

Re: Mysterious fairing bolt
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 05:49:05 PM »
Look for the lost wellnut... Thre is a spot on a frame bracket that should have a wellnut... If not you'll see a round hole. Trust me it's there. If you have the factory manual, go to pager 15-10 through 12.
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 07:25:59 PM »
Kawasaki part # 92015-1700.  Murph's has them. #oemk-117. 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »
Yep, as someone already said, you are missing the wellnut. That nut is a brass nut with a rubber outer sleeve that has a lip that in turn is pressed into the fairing hole. When they get old the lips tend to crack and it is easy to push them out with the screw rather than catching the nut and engaging. Also as already mentioned, Murph sells them in a small package for a very reasonable price.

Brian

I undid my left side fairing thinking I will mount my horn there. But then decided to go right side. I did fiddle around the left side for quite a bit before going to right side. When I bolted everything back up, the left side bolt shown in the picture has nothing to thread into !!!! I took the plastic back off and nothing there - nada !! No bracket, no hole in frame, nothing whatsoever !! I know it was threaded somewhere before! I patched up the right side first and so have not opened it back up again. Thought I ask here if anyone know what gives here - did I drop something accidentally?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 08:57:31 PM »
Took my left side apart again and looked closely with a flash light. Finally found the bugger wedged sort of underneath the coolant tank. Plopped it back on the fairing and good to go. Thank you all!
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 10:13:52 PM »
Glad to hear you found it. Just a thought but as the bike ages, these nuts will continue to be a problem now and then- might be worth grabbing a package (5 I think) just to have on the shelf. It is easier to buy them in advance and have a few on hand than it is to order and wait for them while the fairing flaps in the wind.

In a pinch, you can also borrow either or both a fastener and / or a well nut from another location; I have taken the fasteners from things like the small cover just behind the saddle and used them on the front fairing in a pinch. The rear part is not critical and will not be loose even missing one fastener while the front fairings are more sensitive to one missing fastener.

Brian

Took my left side apart again and looked closely with a flash light. Finally found the bugger wedged sort of underneath the coolant tank. Plopped it back on the fairing and good to go. Thank you all!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com