Author Topic: Bringing a Connie back to life  (Read 7916 times)

gpineau

Re: Bringing a Connie back to life
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »
Also noticed the gas and temperature gauges are not registering anything.  Could there be a common fuse for the gauges?

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 06:42:05 AM »
When you had the carbs out did you install or make sure there are over flow tubes installed on those carbs.
 If not you need to read up on Hydro Lock please.

As far as why your having a  bogging issue  I do not  know.  Carbs are  too complicated for me to elaborate on. Others can chime in that know way more than me.

One thing I do know: Do not get any carb cleaner anywhere near  ANY of the rubber parts  in those carbs especially the diaphragms.   
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 04:44:16 PM »
SUCKS at slow speed. Wants to die pulling away from stop signs.  BUT after quarter throttle....hold onto your hat. what a powerful machine.  It screams when you get away from the city streets and traffic.

When I cleaned the carbs two weeks ago they were pristine. All jets clear.  What else could cause stutter below quarter throttle? Anyone?

when you cleaned the carbs.... did you dump all the old fuel from the tank, flush the tank and insure there was not gack / spooge / and crusty stuff, or water in it, and then re fill using fresh fuel from a reliably clean or new gascan?

if not, your "pristine" carbs are now back to where they were prior to the labor expended on cleaning them...
I've lost count of how many sets of carbs I've cleaned and setup, and told the owner to "completely clean that tank, dump, flush, repeat", only to have them admit after the bike is started and running, for like a day, before it all of a sudden turned sour,  they simply didn't prevent the occurrence from happening.  And when they blame the service provided, it kinda makes a man a bit angry, when the cause was lack of following directions.

also, check all of those vacume lines, and rubber cap plugs blocking the unused ports on carbs, make sure they are all intact, and not leaking.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

gpineau

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 07:27:17 PM »
I started with a clean, empty tank. I removed the petcock and checked the screen. It was all clean when I put it back together.  I also installed another inline fuel filter. I emptied the gas can and went to a local station that carried ethanol-free gas.  So at this point I don't think it is a fuel cleanliness issue.  I am leaning toward a fuel level problem.  Is it possible I set the floats too low. Would that cause these symptoms?

Carb guys? Is the slow speed jets get fed from a higher level than the high speed jets?

Offline qman

• Autobahn Motors
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 08:45:53 PM »
I had the same problem. It may have an ignition issue. pull the spark plug connectors and unscrew them, check the wire for green corrosion. If you find it then nip 1/4 inch of wire of to get some fresh stuff. also check the resistance of the connectors, I think they are 5k ohms. Unless I missed you saying that it has coil over plug ( stick coil) conversion. Then forget I wrote this.

gpineau

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 11:12:20 AM »
I will look  into the ignition after the weather warms up. I have been fighting a bad chest cold for over a week now and i cant bring myself to go out in  the cold garage to do anything.  If I get this fuel issue solved I think I will have a very nice bike.

All that is missing is the rear view mirrors, the drivers right side foot peg and the saddle bags.  I recently found a 1996 model that looks to be in perfect condition with newly rebuild carbs. The owner said it has developed a knock in the engine and will sell it to me for $350.00.   I'm thinking that is well worth the price. Just the value of the saddle bags and mirrors i need will equal the price he is asking.  What do you think?

Offline Kelly E

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 10:43:44 AM »
I will look  into the ignition after the weather warms up. I have been fighting a bad chest cold for over a week now and i cant bring myself to go out in  the cold garage to do anything.  If I get this fuel issue solved I think I will have a very nice bike.

All that is missing is the rear view mirrors, the drivers right side foot peg and the saddle bags.  I recently found a 1996 model that looks to be in perfect condition with newly rebuild carbs. The owner said it has developed a knock in the engine and will sell it to me for $350.00.   I'm thinking that is well worth the price. Just the value of the saddle bags and mirrors i need will equal the price he is asking.  What do you think?

Did you buy the parts bike? Sounds like a good deal.
Never Give Up  Never Surrender

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 11:06:19 AM »
and will sell it to me for $350.00.   I'm thinking that is well worth the price. Just the value of the saddle bags and mirrors i need will equal the price he is asking. 

and you need to ask ;)
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

gpineau

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 03:19:14 PM »
Cant beat the deal. I got it for $300 and he is bringing it over while I am writing this. $300 and free delivery. 

Meanwhile I have been working on some stalling issue on the bike I am rebuilding.  Carbs just dont like colorado gas. The ehtenol just gums them up in no time. I pulled the carbs again and cleaned and reset the floats. Much better now.

https://youtu.be/v_dptRvoiXY

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 10:12:46 PM »
 The only gas I can get Michigan has Ethanol in it. I just add a couple of ounces every tankful and no problems. ;D

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-TC-W3-Outboard-2-Cycle-Oil-1-Gallon
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

gpineau

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 01:36:38 PM »
Just this month there is a new gas station about 2 miles from here that has Ethanol free gas.
Its $2.89 a gallon bur worth every penny if it can keep me from having to remove the carbs again.

Murphy Express, 4615 City Centre Rd Firestone CO 80504

And on a happier note. The weather warmed up about noon today so I took a chance an took my bike out for a spin. I didn't go far because it is not registered yet and the tag is from one of my other bikes. But in the the short time I was gone I really like this bike.  The cleaning and setting the floats did the trick. The hesitation at the stop sign is gone and it is very responsive to the throttle.

The parts bike I got looks identical to mine. So now I have everything I need to make my stock again and I have a source of spare parts.  The tank is better than mine. The mirrors are better than mine and the right drivers foot peg is intact.  Its almost a shame to scrap it since it is still a running bike.  It starts and is drivable but the guy that sold it to me said the engine is making a foreboding noise.