Author Topic: First Trip to the Mountains of 2018  (Read 5681 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: First Trip to the Mountains of 2018
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 06:07:04 AM »
That is enough of that! I have resisted the urge to start modifying the Concours so far. I don't need any encouragement.

If you need a carbon fibre Area P can, I got one and you're local.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 06:23:10 AM »
...and so it begins.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 03:23:00 PM »
I've been trying to figure out how to word this without turning it into a tire thread. What are the top 3-4 tires everyone runs on the Concours? I'll research them on my own from there.

Thanks!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 03:29:59 PM »

If you need a carbon fibre Area P can, I got one and you're local.

You all are making this really difficult!  :D

I went to their website. dB is same as stock at 5000 RPM but a little louder at idle. Has a lot better sound tho. Do you have to repack those cans or are they just baffles inside? New can or used? How much are you wanting for it?
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 03:49:16 PM »
I've been trying to figure out how to word this without turning it into a tire thread. What are the top 3-4 tires everyone runs on the Concours? I'll research them on my own from there.

OH we can turn a thread in two posts or less! If threads were stampedes we'd be top hands of turnin' the lead cow.

I was a Michellen Road Pilot 4 GT man for a long time, but of late Avon Storm 3D X-M have won me over. Pirelli Angel GT spec A are good too. I'm not sure of the wear of the Pirrelli tires since I'm not a daily rider, I'm more of a trip rider and I frequently change tires before they are worn out because I hate stopping in the middle of a trip to change tires. The first time I tried the Avon Storms I thought maybe the rear seemed to slip a bit more than the Michellens. I've tried a second set and I've been running the Avons a couple of pounds higher in pressure (44-45) and haven't noticed any slippage this time around. They seem to wear longer than the Michellens maybe 10% more? ...and they certainly cost less. The Michellens are supposed to be great in the rain, but to be honest I ran in a lot of rain in Washington and Oregon on my first set of Avons with no problems. My slippage problem (real or imagined) with the first set of Avons was always when applying the throttle while still leaned over exiting a turn. My cornering skills are below average and I always wear out my tires in the middle first.  The Pirelli Angel GTs seemed to have no slip ever, but like I say I don't know how they wear because I had to change them early. If you are, or plan on being a daily rider then any of these three will serve you well, if you are more of a trip taker then I think Michellens or Avons will work well for you. 

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »
OH we can turn a thread in two posts or less! If threads were stampedes we'd be top hands of turnin' the lead cow.

I was a Michellen Road Pilot 4 GT man for a long time, but of late Avon Storm 3D X-M have won me over. Pirelli Angel GT spec A are good too. I'm not sure of the wear of the Pirrelli tires since I'm not a daily rider, I'm more of a trip rider and I frequently change tires before they are worn out because I hate stopping in the middle of a trip to change tires. The first time I tried the Avon Storms I thought maybe the rear seemed to slip a bit more than the Michellens. I've tried a second set and I've been running the Avons a couple of pounds higher in pressure (44-45) and haven't noticed and slippage this time around. They seem to wear longer than the Michellens maybe 10% more? and they certainly cost less. The Michellens are supposed to be great in the rain, but to be honest I ran in a lot of rain in Washington and Oregon on my first set of Avons with no problems. My slippage problem (real or imagined) with the first set of Avons was always when applying the throttle while still leaned over exiting a turn. My cornering skills are below average and I always wear out my tires in the middle first.  The Pirelli Angel GTs seemed to have no slip ever, but like I say I don't know how they wear because I had to change them early. If you are or plan on being a daily rider then any of these three will serve you well, if you are more of a trip taker then I think Michellens or Avons will work well for you.

I'm more of a weekend warrior. I don't ride at all during the week, except maybe to bike night across town when I get a chance. That is mostly on my M109. I have a company car and travel for work. Weekend trips out to the mountains every chance I get. Mostly day trips there and back 300 - 400 miles each. Long weekends or vacations I do longer trips. The day rides and long trips will probably be split between the Magnum and the Concours. If the weather is iffy I have some local back road routes I like to ride. The twistier the better!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 04:22:44 PM »
I fly with Angels.  8)

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 10:23:36 PM »
Pretty good lists max', you might want to add ditch/replace the stock Bridgestone tires somewhere between #3 and #5 of the second list.

Gettin' rid of the 021 Crapstones should be the first delete and upgrade to Michelin PR4. If you can stand the stock seat for more than 300 miles, Poseidon will now mean "King of the Seat" instead of sea.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 08:53:50 PM »
Gettin' rid of the 021 Crapstones should be the first delete and upgrade to Michelin PR4. If you can stand the stock seat for more than 300 miles, Poseidon will now mean "King of the Seat" instead of sea.

Hahaha! The seat wasn’t uncomfortable at all. If you want an uncomfortable seat, try a stock M109 seat sometime!!! I was doing really good to last an hour on that thing before I had to stop for a break. With the Corbin I have on the 109 now, I’m good for the duration of a tank of gas. Around 180-200 miles, although, the people I ride with normally stop for a break before that.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »
Hahaha! The seat wasn’t uncomfortable at all.

You have a 2017, which is an improved seat over the older C14's (pre 2016, I think).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2018, 09:33:56 PM »
You have a 2017, which is an improved seat over the older C14's (pre 2016, I think).

Oh, ok. That explains a lot then.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2018, 07:33:50 PM »
My wife and I rode out to Scottsville, VA to Tavern on the James for lunch today. Afterwards, we rode out to Hatton Ferry. It is the last remaining pole ferry in the United States.

On our way back home, I saw these cannons and had to stop for a picture. Also stopped off at an old General store that looks like it is being used as a post office.

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R